Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the replaytv website: www.replaytv.com/support/activation.asp

A. Authorized Product. You may access and use the ReplayTV Service only with a ReplayTV 4500 product authorized to receive the ReplayTV Service and you agree not to tamper with or otherwise modify the authorized product.

Then you have this line:

You may make one copy of the software you download for backup purposes only, provided that such backup copy must include all copyright and other proprietary information and notices contained on the original. You acknowledge and agree that the software is copyrighted and contains material that is protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret and other laws and international treaty provisions relating to proprietary rights. You may not remove, change or hide any of ReplayTV’s or its licensors’ or suppliers’ proprietary rights notices on or in the software or on output generated by the software. Except and only to the extent permitted by applicable law and this Agreement, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, rent, lease, loan, distribute, assign, transfer, or create derivative works from the software. You acknowledge and agree that any unauthorized use, transfer, sublicensing or disclosure of the software may cause irreparable injury to ReplayTV, and under such circumstances, ReplayTV shall be entitled to equitable relief, without posting bond or other security, including but not limited to, preliminary and permanent injunctive relief.

Then finally, the Draconian penalty:

C. Termination of Service; Your Indemnity Obligations. Notwithstanding any term of this Agreement, ReplayTV has the absolute right to immediately suspend or terminate your account, and terminate this Agreement, if you (a) breach any provision of this Agreement (including but not limited to altering the ReplayTV 4500 unit or related software)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I read something along those lines (our new service agreement then) before I became likely the first here to successfully change out the 4K drive. I was concerned but toots said to go ahead try it and not to worry. Well she was correct. (toots is quite the daredevil as long as it is someone else's unit? Well and it was also FlipFlop's RoundTuit BTW)

But I'd guess they don't consider replacing or changing the volatile HDs as altering?

I sure don't like CYA lines like this: "including but not limited to altering the ReplayTV 4500 unit or related software". But hasn't that always been in there? If they would decide to somehow break upgrades that might create one of the biggest uproars going through our PVR scenes? Bigger than anything yet pulled by TiVo? :(

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'd guess their real concerns are, roughly in order

1. people using RNS without paying for it

2. people using 4500s without paying for RNS

3. people modifying RNS client software in ways that causes server-side problems

and all the rest is rights-reserving cover-your-ass boilerplate they have no current intention of following up on. but of course they can't say that, or it might legally bind them, and the whole point is to keep their options open.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
...But I'd guess they don't consider replacing or changing the volatile HDs as altering?
We are all still waiting for the news, but early indications look promising.

(of course KenL was never concerned) :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pu82
you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, rent, lease, loan, distribute, assign, transfer, or create derivative works from the software.
Can they even legally tell me that I am not allowed to disassemble my machine? I bought it, it's mine. It's not a rental.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reedg01
Dissassemble the software...
Oops! :)

(thanks jtl and l8er for being the successful pigs this time around)

And once again thanks toots and FlipFlop for RTVPatch. Saves our hides every time. Just keeps on giving.

Our miracle coders can breath easy now? :cool::cool:

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Our miracle coders can breath easy now?
My only mistake was using the wrong version of RTVPatch. I used one that saw the 160 gb drives as 137 gb drives and didn't catch it till I was running through setup on the new ReplayTV. Pulled the drives, ran the correct RTVPatch and all was well.

-Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.