AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So John Carpenter's Vampires is on cinemax right now.

I switch over to see that it is being broadcast in OAR, sit down to watch a little, turn away to answer the phone and when I turn back the black bars are gone. Then the film cuts to another shot, the bars are back, then the bars are gone when it cuts away, then they are back.

This happened for the first 5 minutes or so of the movie, and now it seems to be staying as open matte.

This isnt the first time I've noticed this, I can recall watching other movies, where it seems it starts out as letterboxed during the credits and then switches over to either cropped or open matte. This is just the first time where I paid attention enough to make sure I wasnt just imagining it.

Anyone know why it's like this, or if this is a common event?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Did the credits extend all the way to the edge of the OAR picture? That's always been my understanding as to why providers will have OAR for the credits and crop a movie the rest of the time. However, if it's really open matte that you're seeing when it's not OAR then I'm not sure why they wouldn't just stick with that the whole time...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT /forum/post/0

Did the credits extend all the way to the edge of the OAR picture? That's always been my understanding as to why providers will have OAR for the credits and crop a movie the rest of the time. However, if it's really open matte that you're seeing when it's not OAR then I'm not sure why they wouldn't just stick with that the whole time...

Yes, they did. There was also a good 2-3 minutes of the film in OAR, than it went open matte. I'm not positive it was open matte, but it sure didnt look cropped to me and I ve seen the movie a few times.

·
Registered
19,282 Posts
Yeah, sometimes you will see this in other movies too. The only thing I can figure is that whoever is editing the movie for TV makes a mistake.

For example: In the transfer of the Matrix they show on HBO/MAX, on one scene there's a black bar on the bottom, then they go right back to opening it up again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.