AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ok, I know if I was a Joe six pack, I would be trying to view this on my 25" RCA and wondering why I can't get a picture with my $70 Emerson VCR.

I thought it might be interesting for someone to give their opinion who has seen it in their home on a theater worth much less than $25000. First the equipment:

I have a brand new(

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It's disturbing that you got dropouts. I believe this is the first report from anyone stating that a D-Theater movie had dropouts.

bb

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it wasn't bad, but had two little glitches. Whats really odd is I have watched the Demo for about an hour and a half on separate occasions, and never experienced a problem. As soon as I can convince my wife, I will watch it again and see if they happen in the same place or at all.

---------------------------------------------------Dave

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
although it still didn't approach the HDcam Dtheater demo tape.
Of course not. That is a completely different format. The two are not the same. Apples and oranges. If I had a choice to shoot my short film on HDCAM or Super16, I would have chosen Super16mm. Film is film and HDCAM is video. It's clean and crisp, but it looks like video. period. It won't work for film. The look of 35mm film is ingrained into us. if a film is not shot on FILM, it just looks funny.

24 HD cameras, the type used for AOTC and some other recent films are different, since the images look like 35mm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matt,

I agree with you completely. They are apples and oranges. HDcam is sharper and looks like video. Some people (me included) like that look, and others may not. However I think it is important to mention as many people will be comparing this release with the fantastically clear pictures of the demo video, and saying " The picture was nice, but not as stunning as the Demo tape".

I also think it is important to realize that the T2 DVHS is shot on film, with a director/cinematographer that is trying to achieve a certain look. I believe T2 Dtheater is very faithfull to the look they were trying to achieve. I just would like to see a cleaner picture devoid of the graininess, but that is my personal preference, and I'm sure there are many other differring opinions.

-----------------Dave

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
What makes HDCAM look different is depth of field. Both foreground and background will be in focus, while with film, the director, well, directs the focus to the part of the scene he wants you to watch.

This can also be achieved with HDCAMs, but it has to be done on purpose.

After comparing a lot of HDCAM and film based material, and taking into account the depth of field effect, I still prefer good transfers from film. They have a smoothness and natural look that HDCAM seem to not be yet able to achieve.

Film has more dynamic, and the telecine process allows to fine adjust the transfer for every scene.

Take the Augusta Masters for example. It was often stunning with window like effect, but also many times the whites were burned, not allowing to see the sand in the bunkers because the light was just a tad too intense. With film, that would not have happened, and the telecine would have adjusted the brightly lit scenes to take in account the more limited range of video over film.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One was a video freeze, with the green pixelation. It was similar to what happens when an OTA station drops out. The other was an audio glitch a quick skip of audio, complete with the pop.

-------------Dave

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I think that someone should give HD video a try in a serious film. The associations we have with film vs video are just from repeated application in the past. There's no technical reason that this association couldn't or wouldn't be undone once HD become more firmly entrenched. Film could get away with it before because its competition was woeful in comparison. But that's not true anymore.

Perhaps it might be a slow transition, where over time directors remove more and more of the purposeful dumbing down done to HD cam based movies. I would like to see some high quality HD cam content in which progressively less and less filtering and manipulation is done to the same scenes, to see where it begins to cross over that line and what a good resolution vs. film-like look compromise would be.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alan,

I got my copy of T2 from Bestbuy.com. I know I paid a little more, but I got the 2 day shipping, and it was delivered pretty quick.

---------Dave

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Where did you get yours. Im still waiting for mine?
Alan

I am curious where you ordered yours from? Seems like everyone but you got their T2's.

I'd just like to know your source so I can avoid it in the future.

bb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.