Ralph Potts reviews the Ultra HD release of this thriller based on author Lee Child’s best-selling books that follow Jack Reacher, and his bold brand of justice.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 130 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Action

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Tom Cruise, Rosemund Pike, Richard Jenkins, Werner Herzog, David Oyelowo, Robert Duvall
Written & Directed by: Christopher McQuarrie
Music by: Joe Kraemer
Based on the Book: “One Shot” by Lee Child
Region Code: A

Release Date: June 26, 2018
"The Law Has Limits. He Does Not…"
My Take:

I reviewed Jack Reacher’s 2013 Blu-ray release, and have included my comments from that review here. Ratings for film, bonus content and audio will be the same, as they are identical to that release. New comments and ratings for the Ultra HD video are below.

Six shots five dead, a city thrown into a state of terror. But within hours the cops have it solved: a slam-dunk case, except for one thing. When the accused man is captured and questioned his lone remark is: Get Jack Reacher. A ghost, drifter and former ex-military investigator Jack Reacher only appears on the grid under his terms. When he sees this case in the news he knows this shooter, a trained military sniper, would never have missed a shot. Reacher is certain something is not right-and soon the slam-dunk case explodes. Now Reacher is teamed with a beautiful young defense lawyer, moving closer to an unseen enemy who is pulling the strings. Reacher knows that no two opponents are created equal. This one has come to the heartland from his particular kind of hell. Reacher knows all too well that the only way to take him down is to match his ruthlessness and cunning and then beat him shot for shot.

Jack Reacher is a fictional character and the protagonist of a series of books by British author Lee Child (real name Jim Grant). The film is based on the book “One shot” and follows Reacher as he becomes embroiled in a dangerous game of cat and mouse after five seemingly random victims are gunned down in park by a sniper. The case is quickly solved by the police with seemingly incontrovertible evidence. That is to everyone but the defendant’s lawyer and Reacher. Of course, things are in fact not what they seem and it is up to Reacher to draw out those responsible.

I had no prior knowledge of this character before hearing about the film but as someone that tends to like this genre as well Tom Cruise’s movies I looked forward to checking it out when it came to Blu-ray. Jack Reacher is more or less a crime/mystery thriller with integrated elements of action. I like the character and despite not necessarily meeting his physical characteristics (from what I have read) enjoyed Tom Cruise in the role. The film is more or less a crime story blended with elements of mystery and action. There is more action than mystery and it’s executed on a level that you would expect featuring hand to hand style fight sequences, a decent car chase and a little gun play.

As for the story it is a solid formula-driven piece that plays well to Tom Cruise’s strengths as a marquee action star. Writer/director Christopher McQuarrie keeps things on point and draws us into Reacher’s world via an edgy over the top narrative driven by establishing a baseline for the character. It’s a little showy and features typical laws of physics subterfuge but there is enough meat to the plot and depth in the supporting cast to make it entertaining. I am not sure if this is the beginning of a Jack Reacher film series but I like the character and would be interested in seeing what the future holds.

Replay Value:
Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, language and some drug material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution: 
  • Visual Impact: 

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 80

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color & WCG:
  • Resolution: 
  • Visual Impact: 

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: 
  • Low frequency effects: 
  • Surround Sound presentation: 
  • Clarity/Detail: 
  • Dialog Reproduction: 
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): 

Jack Reacher comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound.

Jack Reacher garnered a solid report from me on its video quality in 1080p. Shot on film, its presentation in Ultra HD was rendered from a 2K DI and up-converted to 4K. Color reproduction is consistent, with primaries like blue and green appearing richer, even a bit more delineated by comparison. Secondary hues look great, although not appreciably better. The increase in resolution isn't always on display, especially in wide angle shots, although I believe that this is innate to the photography. Close-ups tend to offer better refinement and deeper resolvable texture on surfaces and physical features compared to the Blu-ray. The improvements are subtle.

The same is true when comparing the video's dynamic range. Exterior sequences offer the slightest hint of added punch where the sun reflects off of objects etc. The darkened highlights in the low-lit environs, like the nighttime sequence outside the bar or later at the construction yard, have appreciable dimension and resolvable detail. Fleshtones are reproduced with slightly warm, but natural tonality. Viewing Jack Reacher in Ultra HD didn’t offer any noteworthy visuals, making it a hard sell to discerning videophiles looking for the next title to show off their Ultra HD capable display’s chops.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Jack Reacher, I found the HDR rendering to essentially be the same. Switching back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings yielded minute differences that are probably more subjective and not enough to warrant a rating difference.

The is a terrific DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack that features crystal clear dialog, powerful dynamics and a subtly aggressive and involving surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds that created a realistic and occasionally immersive listening environment. This worked hand in hand with film’s music, and thematic elements to build tension and help drive the story. Evidence of this can be heard in the extended car chase sequence as the growl of the Chevy muscle car’s 8 cylinders fills the soundstage and later the low-level punch of gunfire can be felt throughout the room. Be sure to turn this one up when the action kicks in.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Jack Reacher Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Jack Reacher Blu-ray
  • Legacy Bonus Material
  • Digital Copy
Final Thoughts:

Pulled from the pages of author Lee Child’s popular book series (specifically the book “One shot”)Jack Reacher is an entertaining formula-driven crime/action thriller that plays well to the strengths of star Tom Cruise. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring unremarkable Ultra HD video quality, the same reference quality DTS-MA 7.1 track found on the previous Blu-ray release and, a fan friendly supplemental package. This Ultra HD Blu-ray release doesn’t muster enough strength to warrant a double dip but, for fans considering it I would recommend a rental first.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from  Spectracal )
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems