AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first reviews seem to point at that, even though not mentioning the laserdiscs (which are all reference in audio !). I wonder why these AC3 tracks couldn't be used UNTOUCHED for these dvds.... joe six packs nearfield ? :D

lots has been lost in terms of audio compared to the laserdisc era.

·
Registered
28,248 Posts
While this may be true, I will gladly take a hit in audio to get a decent-looking copy of The Hunt for Red October. Even the THX laserdisc is a seriously flawed transfer.

(Admittedly, a nice DD track on that LD, though.)

·
Registered
15,693 Posts
I've read a couple reports where the DTS tracks are pretty darn good. While still not perfect (come on Paramount!!) I guess the picture quality is better this time around. Plus the fact they supposedly came from new 1080p HD masters.

Dan

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Maybe they didn't compare to the LD,because they didn't think that it was the defacto.BTW all the copies[ld] were shipped to Waterloo some nut bought'em all!:D

Paramount doesn't use the nearfild mix technique.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wonder how long it will take before dvd mixes, be it dts or dolby digital, will be on par with the best laserdisc mixes. Maybe in a few years when it is normal to have uncompressed 7.1+ sound. It's still a shame that laserdisc are no longer made.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dvdIGn (quite great reviewers btw!) seems quite happy with their first reviews of the tetralogy so far. we'll see.

Paramount has indeed put some exceptionnal dolby recently, like Rules of Engagement, We were soldiers, to name just two that comes to my mind.

laserdiscs guys (including you Hun :) ) remember perhaps that opening sequence of the Cost Guards boat approaching the highjacked yacht, those waves blast, the hull hitting the water violently. this is one test to do to see if the new dvd carries that same AC3 ld oomph. there are many other examples. For Hunt for red october, the laserdisc is full of dramatic gigantic moments where one's room is litterally overwhelmed by the size of the score, the size of the submarine, the size of the effects.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agreed Rules of Engagement and We Were Soldiers (DTS) dutch release is awesome. Truly reference material.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Quote:
aserdiscs guys (including you Hun ) remember perhaps that opening sequence of the Cost Guards boat approaching the highjacked yacht, those waves blast, the hull hitting the water violently. this is one test to do to see if the new dvd carries that same AC3 ld oomph. there are many other examples. For Hunt for red october, the laserdisc is full of dramatic gigantic moments where one's room is litterally overwhelmed by the size of the score, the size of the submarine, the size of the effects.
I no longer own those LD's and my set up changed considerably [for better]in the past 5 years,so for me to try to go on from acoustic memory is less then beneficial or wise.

The funny thing is I had a chance to talk with people from Paramount and Fox when I visited their studio,and they were surprised regarding how much dissinformation going around the internet regarding LD's "superrior mix".So I'll leave you to it.

I just got the box set today!:)

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Gentlemen,

I just watched the first 45mins. of the Red Oktober,and I wouldn't worry about the sound[DTS],however the picture leaves much to be desired.

Dark, fuzzy, dull, those are the adjectives that came into my mind watching it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.