AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, in general is the D* feed more compressed than cable? I just got a new 60" TV and watching the macroblocking on The Walking Dead was just flat out awful. Does D* give you a better feed in general?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin  /t/1525329/directv-vs-cable#post_24555557

Guys, in general is the D* feed more compressed than cable? I just got a new 60" TV and watching the macroblocking on The Walking Dead was just flat out awful. Does D* give you a better feed in general?

Are you talking about HD or SD? And there's no such thing as "cable" when it comes to picture quality. Every cable company and location is different. You need to ask the question in a local forum, e'g. "in North Dallas does TWC have a better picture quality than DirecTV?"

The one thing about DirecTv (and Dish) is that the PQ is the same everywhere, except for locals that differ city by city.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry.

Cablevision in Jackson NJ vs. D*. And I'm only talking HD - I can't be bothered w/ anything SD. I'd rather read if it comes to that.

·
Super Moderator
18,296 Posts
Please keep topic titles specific: see my edit.

That said, as pointed out above, the differences vary from cable system to cable system. It's almost a sure bet that if the quality you're seeing is bad enough for you to question it, DirecTV will be better. Were it not, this board would be full of complaints like it used to be in the days before D* expanded into the Ka band. Since then, HD PQ has improved.

Set your home DVR to record a particular channel. Go to a satellite dealer, friend's house or other place that subscribes to D* and watch that channel. Go home and watch your recording.

Naturally, it's better if you can A/B it, but there are few geeks such as me, who have both.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clarification/edit. My contract w/ Cablevision is up towards the end of the year so I'm trying to learn about my alternatives ahead of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts