AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a response from Bill Schneider at WTLV/WJXX that the HD receiving equipment for ABC is scheduled to ship end of June. Hopes to have ABC HD on the air end of July.

Thanks... Ralph

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Thanks, Ralph, for the update from Bill.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don... You bet.

cschaul... digital: 10-1 (ABC), 13-2 (ABC), 34-1 (WB), 42-2 (CBS)

HD: 13-1 (NBC), 42-1 (CBS) though it won't be for long.

Ralph

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cschaul
any reason why tonights ABC shows are not in HD?
Read the first post!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi everyone!

First time I've been to the forum in a week. I've been real busy at work. Hope some of you got to watch the Belmont Stakes in HD Saturday. It was some great footage. Anybody watch Leno in HD recently? I haven't been able to check to see if they are braodcasting the HD signal again. Can't wait to see ABC in HD. Even though I will be leaving soon to go fight terrorists. I'll try to get some of your e-mail addresses before I go so that you can update me while I am gone.

As I said before, I'm getting a house built as well. Anybody have any good ideas as far as home theater setups/wiring that I should try to get? Kentronics is doing my home security pre-wiring and they said they could run my surround wires if I give them the cables. They may only do it if I buy their security package though. Anybody deal with them before? Or have any good home theater setup companies in mind? I could probably do most of it myself but I don't know what the electrical inspector would say.

Don,

To answer your question re WCBS. I used to live in Austin where the waivers were granted. And yes, that HD promo is quite nice. Hopefully they will be doing some more football this year. Especially for all you SEC fans. I would prefer Big 12(Texas Longhorns) but ABC does most of their games.

For everyone with Dish Network, I would try to get the waiver to get WCBS-HD before it's too late. It is well worth it.

Paul

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm new to Jax and just installed my OTA antenna about 10 days ago. I usually get all the channels except 42 (WJXT-CBS). Only once or twice did I get ch. 42 and when I did I had a signal strength in the 90s. Has the WJXT transmitter been off periodically or am I having other problems. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
376 Posts
wxwx; Channel 42-1 seems to be cutting back on their broadcasting time.I dont know why.It may have something to do with them going independent.Welcome to N.E. Florida.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i am unable to get channel 13 in my apartment on the southside. i have a megawave indoor antenna and the myhd card. i get 42 and 10 perfectly.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Paul,

Good luck in the Middle East. The Jacksonville HD landscape changed rather rapidly and unexpectedly, who knows what it will look like when you get back.

Tim Huey

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Not really HDTV but at least its good PR-

WTLV has a new slogo I've heard.

First in this and First in that then they say First in Digital TV and First in High Definition TV. IT's about time they add the HDTV to thieir bragadotia!

Paul- Sorry to see you go but you can't train forever. Must go do what you are trained to do. Just be careful. I remember training for 2 years for a 1 week mission in VN in '69. Stay clear of SAM!

I'm working on my second theater now! In my Van. Plan to get it installed this week. I'm getting the Kenwood sat navigation system and XM satellite radio. Last week I did a TV show on the Kenwood navigation system and just fell head over heals for it. Had to have it so it's going in this week along with a new DVD player for movies and new speakers for DD5.1-- in the VAN! I'm trying to figure out how to take a DVHS VCR in the van for HDTV!

The down side is:

The DVD player does not recognize DVD-R's and I couldn't find any that do for mobile.

Paul- you'll like this: Kenwood also has a HUD accessory for their system. I thought only you Navy pilots had that! They seem to be the first to offer it. The Navigation system is LCD touch screen and uses voice recognition as well. It also gives you verbal warnings of up coming turns, exits and such with a female voice. They have a pretty good demo in their web site.

Re the CBS waiver- You could try it but I believe it is now too late as you need 30 days to have the application to go through. Isn't the last day for WJXT CBS July 17th? Maybe if you call DishNetwork tomorrow it will go through before they are no longer authorized to grant it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don,

Looks like you will have a nice 2nd system. I'm trying to get my new house prewired for surround sound. I wish I could run ethernet cables and do a whole house stereo system, but i don't think the construction guys would like that if I just ran the wires without telling them. I'm sure that any decent home theater company would charge me an arm and a leg. Oh well. I'll make it work.

BTW, I'll still be doing some training for the next couple of months here and there around the country. So I'll be around for a little while longer.

How do ya'll like the new Dicovery HD theater so far. From what I've seen on Dish, I wouldn't spend $8.00/mo on it. I like HDNet better right now.

Later

Paul

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
How do ya'll like the new Dicovery HD theater so far.

It was a rough start on the 5000 but after 6 hours of receiver updating it caught on. Now it's solid, It's different than anything else, It's DD5.1 on some programs, It's very good quality. I have recorded 9 hours of it so far.

The down side is that they still pop the logo up for brief periods and they run commercials. There is no comparing HDNet to Discovery as the program mix on Discovery is closer to National Geographic while HDNet is quite the eclectic mix from movies to sports to travel to documentaries and even news reports of current events. They are just different.

My home network is a wired net but I now have two cells of wireless that makes working my notebook High speed internet anywhere in the house, even out by the pool. It is about half the speed of the wired ethernet but then I have a consistent high speed netowk on the wired side. I use the Linksys system.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is 13-1 showing any Hd programming such as Jay Leno?

Whats the deal with CBS, when are they off the air? Is the station taking over CBS going to carry HD?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cshaul,

I haven't seen any HD programming on 13-1 for a little while. The last couple of times I've tuned into Leno, there was no HD (just a test pattern, I think).

WJXT (42-1, 42-2, 4) goes independent mid July. I don't think we know when the UPN station will start broadcasting CBS content. As far as HD CBS from the new station, that could be a while.

Thanks... Ralph

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too have noticed long periods when the CBS 42-x channels are not broadcasting.

Having read the note earlier about WJXX 10-1 getting some new equipment around this time, can I presume that's why that channel has been off the air for a while? Seems the last week or so that everytime I scan through it, they're not there!

Jonathan

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just spoke to channel 47 assistant chief engineer.He said that despite tower delays,they will be digital and HD at the very latest mid september. He was very informative and nice. They have most of the equipment ,waiting on tower to be completed.If he is accurate on his statements,this is welcome news.We will see.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just noticed that I've lost 34-1, which I tihnk was WB digital, and I now have 17-1, which is WB digital. Anyone else?

Thanks... Ralph

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm still getting 34-1 but nothing on 17-1.

Speaking of "nothing", 10-1 still is offline. Anyone have an estimate for them completing their hardware upgrade?

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.