AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a list of phone numbers to the engineering rooms of our local stations? I know someone posted some of these numbers before. I would like to be able to call when we have a problem (like not "flipping the switch" for HD programs, etc.).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Smitty--

Congrats on getting PBS online, on-time!!!! I took a quick peek during lunch, and I'm getting a 100% signal (about 7 miles form the tower).

--Bill

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hello everyone, I just got back in town, and noticed that PBS is online - that's great - are they upconverting their material? or is it just their SD channel passed thru, it seems that it is definately a little clearer than D*'s signal and it is 16x9.

Anyway, Jerry I can make it on the 10th as well.

And for everyone with the WB issue, I spoke with George Birnbaum, he and I are going to meet and I am going to let him borrow my reciever to test it at the station, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I tried tuning to 38-1, the new digital PBS station. It behaves much like the WB station for me. It seems like it tries to lock on, but eventually powers my tv off, Mits 65869. I get 47-1, 13-1, 10-1, and 30-1 just fine.

I'd really like to check out some of the PBS HD shows, if they are doing HD.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could not get 38-1 at all last night. I had no problem with all the other channels. Was PBS digital broadcasting last evening?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was receiving it fine, albeit it was 7-1 on my tuner.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
7-1 came in 100% last night for me, signal strength is Strong much like CBS, Channel 4 (at least for Me)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pspun
Is there a list of phone numbers to the engineering rooms of our local stations? I know someone posted some of these numbers before. I would like to be able to call when we have a problem (like not "flipping the switch" for HD programs, etc.).
Telephone numbers for master control rooms are usually unlisted. When things go wrong in master control, they don't have time to take viewer calls. If the number were public, the maintenance engineers would not be able to get thru.

Jerry

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jerry, what is the best and quickest way to inform the stations when we see a problem?

Yes, I got 7-1, didn't know I had to rescan all the channels. Now, if only we can get some HD materials on PBS... even if reruns.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pspun
Jerry, what is the best and quickest way to inform the stations when we see a problem?

During business hours, call the switchboard. Though they will not forward you directly to master control, they'll pass a message to them or you could post a message here, or in the case of the other stations, send them an email. Its important to remember that there are thousands and thousands of viewers and the vast majority of problems are on the reception end, not at the station. Master Control can be a hectic place, especially when things are going bad. Usually when there is a problem, they know it and try to fix it.

Jerry

·
Registered
75 Posts
Whoo - hoo!

I sucked it up and went back on my roof today to try and get CBS. I was really nervous about possibly losing the other channels, because I was getting them all PERFECTLY! I'm even getting the new PBS as of today (which is another story). I told myself that it isn't voodoo - it's just a stupid antenna. Point it in the right direction, and you're watching HD. So, I climbed up there. Marked the mast so I could put it back exactly where it was in case I screwed it up, and moved it like 2 degrees. Now I get CBS. Why does it have to be harder to point a terrestrial antenna than a satellite dish? Oh well, at least it's working.

As for getting the new PBS channel, my Hughes receiver was really playing games with me. I went to the Setup->installation->local area screen, manually entered 7-1, and it wouldn't take. I kept on trying and trying. The "cursor" was on channel 7 when I was trying. Then one time I tried it, but I wasn't on channel 7, and then it took. First try. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or if that is indicative of a bug of some sort in the Hughes, but I now get PBS.

Maybe that bit of information will help some people. If you are missing a channel, you may want to move your antenna a degree or two - it can make a difference. And be careful when entering in the channels in the Hughes receiver.

Skip

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Skip-

Antennas are not generally that sensitive. I'd bet your antenna is being shrouded by surroundings which is usually what will make an antenna as sensitive to positioning as you state.

I had a similar problem here and raising my antenna just another 5 ft off the roof to 10 ft. above made a world of difference in the aiming. Shrouding could be "in the trees" inside an attick, or aiming into powerlines in the line of sight. Essentially any number of things that could restrict the design pattern of reception.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmm. Lucky me :)

Atually, my antenna is right next to a pretty tall tree. Big leafy thing. Don't ask me what kind, but it's not a palm tree (I'm more of an engineer than a botanist). I did have the same experience as you. I was having a heck of a time getting any HD at all. I went through at least six antennas. Finally, I tried a longer mast. Raised that antenna about 5 feet. Then I got all the channels.

Skip

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Is anyone having a Lip Sync problem with PBS 7-1? I thought it was just my Hughes clone acting up, but I rebooted and I am still getting a horrible lip synch issue?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Anyone notice that when you look in the program guide, 47-1 and 30-1 now have program info? I notice this morning when I was going through my program guide.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Yes, but to get it, I had to do a re-scan of local channels on my Hughes E86. The APG didn't show up until after I did that.

The lip synch problem is still happening on 7-1.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AFH
Anyone notice that when you look in the program guide, 47-1 and 30-1 now have program info? I notice this morning when I was going through my program guide.
I did some checking and discovered that Tribune Media Services (zap2it.com) was not listing our digital channels because we had not asked them to. I had our programming department contact them, give them the info, and they said to give it a day or so to make it.

I'm glad to see that its there now. It turns out that it didn't have anything to do with the dash in the station name at all.

Our programming department provides Tribune with programming lists and thats used as the source for TV Guide, etc.

(At least that's the theory I had. :) and maybe it working!)

Jerry

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.