AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my first projector, a PG-M20X XGA projector by sharp, then we finally got he HDMI-DVI cable for it to hook up the 360, and of course the image quality difference was night and day from regular composite hookups.

BUT... on some games and movies, you can see jagged edges, it is really noticeable in tiger woods 08, as well as halo 3, and some of the regular AVI movies that I stream through the xbox from my computer.

I have a few WMVHD clips that I also stream through the xbox, and they look stunning, with no jagged edges that I can see, although they may be there i guess.

The xbox is set to 1024x768 output, and i messed with all of the settings on the projector - to no avail
the games still look good, and are plety playable, but i'd like to get rid of those jaggies somehow.

I have a component - DVI converter on the way, ill try hooking it up with that when we get it, to see if it makes any difference...

any other ideas?

mabye ill try to get some screenshots later.

EDIT(for screenshots):

I'm havig a heck of a time getting decent screenshots, I went through a bunch of presets on my camera and found that "night landscape 3" produces a photo good enough to see the jaggies, but still not as good as the screen looks in person.

heres a shot of the jaggies on Tiger woods 08, take a closer look at his pants, and the shaft of the club.

any ideas for better screenshots? ive got a simple but decent digital camera, nikon p4 8mp. Its capable of REALLY good photos, but i just dont know how to do it in these conditions

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats true, i never thought about that...

I played tiger 08' on a 42" plasma, and i didn't notice jaggies, but i wasn't looking for em... they may be there.

Half life 2 looks alot better, mabye its just the graphics of that game...

·
Registered
709 Posts
The jagged edges are just the scaling artifacts or aliasing on the polygons - this is normal. All videogames running less than crazy resolutions will show aliasing lines - have since the 1970s!

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are plenty of jaggies in Halo3. Since you are blowing up to a much larger size they just become more obvious. It usually takes 4x antialiasing to remove most jaggies and many developers dont use it for performance or technical reasons.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a beginner 3d-modeller, and I thought it almost looked like and aliasing issue, but it thought that would be taken care of in modern 360 games...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts