AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the component output of the Samsung to my 32" Toshiba 32A41 CRT (SD, interlaced). I'm noticing jaggies during movement in the DVD of Alice in Wonderland. This is the newer 2 disc set. Examples would in the leaves of trees, bushes. Is this due to the nature of early animation or to faulty equipment on my end?

Thanks,

-Jonathan.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I have the 841 and I haven't seen jaggies on my set. I haven't watched that particular movie so it may be that movie or you may not be upconverting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
I have the 841 and I haven't seen jaggies on my set. I haven't watched that particular movie so it may be that movie or you may not be upconverting.
My TV is an SD interlaced set, I think it's just this particular movie.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
This player, using a mediocre Zoran deinterlacer/scaler, tends to have more jaggies than a Faroudja player. How noticeable they are probably depends on the movie.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The TV is an SD interlaced set - the DVD player is outputting 480i via component otherwise it shouldn't work with that display (in theory). I guess you could double check to make sure the component is set to output 480i from within the DVD player's menu.

I would not expect this to be an issue with the player or TV other than the inherent characteristics of the interlaced signal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
This player, using a mediocre Zoran deinterlacer/scaler, tends to have more jaggies than a Faroudja player. How noticeable they are probably depends on the movie.
Buying a $300 DVD Player for a 5 yr. old TV that originally cost $500 would be overkill.

EDIT: But shouldn't the Zoran be better than whatever's in my Apex AD-5131?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
With that type of set jaggies shouldn't be a surprise. I was told the Faroudja scaler really only makes a noticeable difference only when it comes to older movies or tv shows. Otherwise the Zoran performs just fine for up to date movies.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
JLanguage, you can get a Panasonic S77 (with Faroudja) for

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
Format war? When people talk about the format war, it's regarding the future DVD players (HD DVD vs. BluRay). There's no format war for displays (the different technologies will continue to exist).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Format war? When people talk about the format war, it's regarding the future DVD players (HD DVD vs. BluRay). There's no format war for displays (the different technologies will continue to exist).
By format war I did mean HD-DVD vs. BluRay.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
You don't have to wait for the war to be over before upgrading to an HDTV (either DVD format will work great with any display). If you watch any TV at all, you don't know what you're missing with your SD display.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The only reason I make that comment about the Faroudja vs. Zoran comment is because there is another thread about the different sammy upconvert dvd players. I asked persistently about the differences Faroudja sammy's and the Zoran sammy's and I was told by several owners including Samsung what I said. I was ready to go with the Faroudja sammy until I learned that.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
ogbuehi, check out the Secret's reviews of these players. You'll see that the Faroudja players (like the Panny S77 and S97, the Oppo, and the Denon players) get much better reviews than the Zoran players (like the Sammys or the Tosh 5980). The Faroujda Sammy (931 and 941) had problems, and is not highly recommended.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The jaggies appear to be on the edges of everything that moves. I don't know whether or not if they're actually jaggies or are some other visual artifact. They look like interlaced horizontal lines distorting the edges of everything moving. I'll test with my Apex using the same cables and display and see if it still occurs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here's what I can contribute to this thread.. I have a Toshiba 5980 and Samsung 841. And I can tell you that ON MY TOSHIBA 5980, when its in 480i or 480p mode, the quality of the video is terrible compared to my $29 480p "elcheepo" (terapin) dvd player.

I have not played with the Samsung enough to comment on that yet, but since they are very similar inside: My guess would be I'd (you'd) have similar issues.

The toshiba player (I guess) was not really designed for the 480i (or 480p for that matter) output, I guess they (toshiba) figured who ever will buy those players will be using the hdmi (or dvi as it were) ports to UPCONVERT the image... that's the whole concept behind those 2 players (Toshiba 5980 and Samsung 841)

So since I saw very noticable poor PQ on the Toshiba 5980 in 480i mode - It would stand to reason the same would be true for the Samsung 841. I think you have too much dvd player for your tv... not to mention a player that really doesn't have your 480i tv in mind, as it was built for upconverting over dvi.

Good luck.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I recently purchased a Sammy 841 and hooked it to my LCoS HD TV using the DVI output. The up-converted video to 720P is fabulous whether the unit is playing a commercial or non-commercial DVD. Besides buying a lot of DVD's I also record many movies from the HD channels. The 841 playback on the non-commercial recordings is flawless. No freezing or blocking or any of the other type artifacts you se with flag-reading players. I am very happy with the 841 but then I purchased the player to up-convert DVD's using the DVI out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araltd
Here's what I can contribute to this thread.. I have a Toshiba 5980 and Samsung 841. And I can tell you that ON MY TOSHIBA 5980, when its in 480i or 480p mode, the quality of the video is terrible compared to my $29 480p "elcheepo" (terapin) dvd player.

I have not played with the Samsung enough to comment on that yet, but since they are very similar inside: My guess would be I'd (you'd) have similar issues.

The toshiba player (I guess) was not really designed for the 480i (or 480p for that matter) output, I guess they (toshiba) figured who ever will buy those players will be using the hdmi (or dvi as it were) ports to UPCONVERT the image... that's the whole concept behind those 2 players (Toshiba 5980 and Samsung 841)

So since I saw very noticable poor PQ on the Toshiba 5980 in 480i mode - It would stand to reason the same would be true for the Samsung 841. I think you have too much dvd player for your tv... not to mention a player that really doesn't have your 480i tv in mind, as it was built for upconverting over dvi.

Good luck.
And I bought the Samsung 841 for it's PQ! That's a big oversight on my part, the picture really doesn't look any better than my Apex and the Apex has no visual artifacting.

EDIT: I think I could still return it but I'll definitely lose out on the shipping. Researching the terapin it seems like it is a good unit but is not reliable. Plus there are reports that the company won't honor its rebates.

SECOND EDIT: Darn it, I knew I shouldn't have bought electronics online! Oh well, I guess this teaches me a good lesson.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just checked and I have until 8/29 but if I'm going to return it I should probably do it soon. I still have everything that came with it including the original shipping packaging, and even didn't use the batteries that came with it. useI wonder if I can convince them to cover it under defective products. Wouod that be unethical? I mean the player does have serious visual artifacts and I'm betting that it will have issues with other DVDs as well. I watch a lot of TV Shows and old movies on DVD that have mediocre transfers. Whjat do you guys think? And what cheap player works well and can be found locally?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found this thread because I am using a Toshiba SD-5980 player into a Samsung HL-R5067W, and I think I am seeing more jaggies than I should - but the thread isn't quite about what my issue is. I'm using HDMI so there has to be a setting I'm missing. Or am I being too picky?

The player is currently set to 720p and progressive output. The picture is good with color etc. but I keep seeing jaggies when certain things move. Again, I'm not used to what I should reasonably expect with this setup, but other rave about the jaggies being gone with HDMI or jaggies being gone with the move up from 480p. I'm not seeing it though!

Comments? Pointers?

Thanks in advance!

- Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.