AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
The good news is that everyone who wants it will have it by then and when it finally goes on sale they'll be lucky to sell 10 copies. Better yet, the lack of content kills 3D and in two years no one will be interested in Avatar 3D.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What I dont understand is that Panasonic doesn't just sell these individually, of course they want to sell their TV's, and Avatar is a huge selling point, but there are many people, me included who would happily buy the movie itself for $100 or so.

In 2 years, I will have found a way to get it through a channel which doesn't provide ANY revenue to Panasonic.

There may be some contractual obligations though, who knows.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what this does for Panasonic's 3D TV sales. To date, Samsung has been outselling everyone by a wide margin and given the disparity in pricing between comparable models of Samsung and Panasonic plasmas I just can't see this promotion being a game changer in the long run.

·
Registered
385 Posts
3DTV's are still too expensive in the eyes of the general public. The economy is still recovering. Given that a lot of people already own flat-screen TV's and add to that the significant lack of 3D software, there is no big appetite for 3D. The reason why Samsung is ahead in sales is simple...a smaller price point compared to the competition. Panasonic may have a killer app in Avatar, but the higher costs of their hardware and bad marketing strategy will not help them at all.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19575835

Panasonic PDP GT 50" MSRP = $2099

Samsung PDP 7000 50" MSRP = $1999

Samsung PN50C680 (1080p) $1299

PN50C490B3D (720p) $989

At the big box stores, which is what the average shopper frequents, I have yet to see a 50" Panny for less than $2500. The Sammys have a definite and significant edge in price. Also, Samsung seems to be making far more inroads into warehouse clubs like BJ's and department stores like Walmart. Samsung TV's are easier to come by and cheaper. Discounting the videophiles, who make up an insignificant percentage of the entire market, I don't know too many people who will pay a $700 premium just to get a copy of Avatar.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/19577098

Samsung PN50C680 (1080p) $1299

PN50C490B3D (720p) $989

At the big box stores, which is what the average shopper frequents, I have yet to see a 50" Panny for less than $2500. The Sammys have a definite and significant edge in price. Also, Samsung seems to be making far more inroads into warehouse clubs like BJ's and department stores like Walmart. Samsung TV's are easier to come by and cheaper. Discounting the videophiles, who make up an insignificant percentage of the entire market, I don't know too many people who will pay a $700 premium just to get a copy of Avatar.

LOL - I show MSRP and you show street prices.

So are Samsung dealers offerring 2 pair of glasses (rechargeable) and a 3D BD player included with the purchase of any of their PDP 3DTVs?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the point of the thread is the marketing wisdom of the non-general release of Avatar. Killer app? For me not. I would not just buy the panny because of that.

We will have to wait or but on ebay. For me I will wait or exchange to watch with a friend. IMHO, they may be selling a FEW more pannys but I am pretty sure they could have sold a lot more copies of Avatar with a general release. I am presuming what panny paid them makes up the difference..........

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think what Cameron did sets a dangerous precedent. Yeah, Avatar is his baby and he could do whatever he wants with it but I think it really hurts the whole 3D industry just as it's trying to make in-roads into the general public's consciousness. I wouldn't be shocked if other big name directors/producers like Spielberg, Lucas, Bruckheimer, Scorcese, or the Wachowski brothers sees what Cameron did and try to do some "wheeling-and-dealing" on their own with other brands. Then, you're going to have an all-out 3D war among competing brands as to who secures the biggest and best movie rights...next thing you know, 3D goes down the toilet. I'm hoping this is not the case but after the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray debacle, you can never know.

In my opinion, the biggest flick on the horizon that's set-up as the next killer 3D app will be Tron Legacy. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Disney signs an exclusive with Sony to counter what Panasonic did with Cameron.

·
Registered
53 Posts
PSB, good points and hope you are not correct in the end.

My marketing degree is pretty old nut why not cut a deal (worth less) money and during the course of the deal retail at like $75? /that way you get some of both. Maybe stupid, just a thought.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
This is so stupid. Nobody is going to buy a brand of TV for one 3D blu-ray.

If the manufacturers want people to buy 3D TVs, then they really need to have the studios start releasing as many 3D movies as possible for the general populace. If there's only a select handful you can get, it's just going to die a quick death.

I mean, think about it. I bought a Samsung 3DTV, and I got Monsters vs Aliens. And even being a Samsung customer, I can't get the new Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or Shrek bundles? Basically over 50% of the available titles are locked off to me, and that means what, there's something like 10 available discs?

What's even dumber is that the manufacturers already have a built-in way to lock you into their brand. I mean, unless I want to buy an entirely new set of however many glasses I need, I'm already forced to be a Samsung customer for life.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks to Panasonic & Fox for plotting together to ruin the more rapid success of the 3D format. This is "the" feature 3D film that could have secured the adoption of the 3D TV standard into thousands and thousands of more homes.

Panasonic will sell more of their fine 3D plasmas, but other manufacturers will suffer and thus the acceptance of this new and wonderful format will be slowed. Although it's not the best film ever made, it certainly is on most consumers must have list for BD 3D.

eBay will make a fortune just on the sale of this movie to people who own other manufacturers 3D TVs. FOX also must have singed a very lucrative deal with Panasonic. So everyone makes money while the fate of 3D TV possibly hangs in the balance.

I want this format to succeed and yes, I am an owner of another brand of 3D panel. And yes, I would certainly purchase a copy at a store or online. But the point is this exclusive deal, which could run for more than a year, will certainly hurt the overall sales of 3D TV. If the 3D sets don't sell well, it won't matter how much content there is. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Bah, Humbug!

·
Registered
638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/19577354

LOL - I show MSRP and you show street prices.

So are Samsung dealers offerring 2 pair of glasses (rechargeable) and a 3D BD player included with the purchase of any of their PDP 3DTVs?

While not rechargeable, they are offering regular 3d glasses and a free 3d BD player. The batteries they use cost pennies, and you can actually change the batteries when they go dead.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
If Panny would have thrown in an external emitter with that Avatar Starter-Pack, I bet they would sell a ton. That way, the glasses aren't going to waste for non-Panny owners. (Though, I'm not sure if all new 3D HDTVs have a 3-pin VESA connector).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts