AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
How does it replace current settings? I may go ahead and try this.

EDIT: Here is the disclaimer I came across:

Rewriting the program with the downloaded firmware will cause the following changes in the 3D image quality.

Please consider these changes carefully before rewriting the program.

* The quality of all image modes except the VIVID mode will change to theater-like images.

* Custom mode images set by a custom installer or with the ISF function will change in the same manner.

Also, please be aware that you cannot restore the previous image quality after rewriting the program.

I going to pass until an expert comes along and explains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm really hoping someone would go over the changes this firmware makes to the settings. I haven't had my VT20 calibrated yet, but I'm worried about applying a firmware update that changes the settings in the way they describe.

Does it just change the default values, or does it change the way they actually work? If it was just a values thing, they could have listed them on the website. I'm worried that by applying this patch, it might be actually changing things like gamma curves and color gamut stuff that can't be changed back if it can't be calibrated to reference quality.

If the settings are exclusively for the 3D mode, then I'm ready to apply it, as there really isn't any good way to calibrate that yet, but I want to hear that the 2D mode is either untouched or improved by this firmware before I apply it.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I'll try it on my VT-20 this weekend after my Avatar Bluray arrives tomorrow.

Since I'm giving the TV to my grandson for Christmas I'm sure he'll be happy with it with or without the update.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Now that I read it about 10x I think only the 3D mode is effected.

"Rewriting the program with the downloaded firmware will cause the following changes in the 3D image quality"

I'm very happy with my 3D mode, I applied D-Nice service menu offsets that he provided in the Panasonic 2010 settings/issue thread after break in of the slideshow.

·
Registered
197 Posts
KUKayhawk20659, how are the settings and picture different after applying the firmware? Also, are all your other 3d modes unaffected? The directions made it sound like (to me) that all the 3d modes would basically change to the same, except for Vivid...this is what made me so nervous to try it, I didn't want to lose the differences in all my 3d modes....how does this firmware affect how your other 3d movies/games look?

·
Registered
483 Posts
It did not change any settings. Like I said before I only watched 3D in Cinema mode, not custom.

Then after the update switching between the two was a big difference. With the new custom setting way better.

NO settings outside of the 3d ones changed, and remember you cant change a 3d setting without a 3d movie playing.

The firmware was 21mb and I put it on a 256mb sandisk card and it worked just fine.

I have yet to check out any games or other 3D stuff. Have been watching my Jayhawks!! That THX mode looks exactly the same as before

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I don't know anything about this firmware, but to the OP, having Best Buy calibrate your display is like getting a McDonald's cook to be your chef at a wedding. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm just curious as to why we would have to update the firmware just to make some changes to custom 3D mode? Also can you use a usb flash drive instead of an SD card? I tried to do an update from the TV itself and it still says 3.0 is the latest and on the panasonic web site it still shows 3.0 as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
can someone tell me what does the update do for the 3d does it make the 3d pop more is the pic brighter. does it make the pic darker do u see more depth. is there a real big diffrents that i will see. also is it just for avtar or for all 3d movies thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Since my VT25 is already 3D calibrated by D-Nice (ISF Day & Night) I would assume I would already have an optimum viewing experience for Avatar. I'm not sure I would gain anything by downloading the firmware upgrade that would give me a "Custom" setting for 3D (Avatar). Unless, something else is included in the upgrade that enhances the VT25. "D" are you on here to comment?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I found this post over on the VT20/25 thread. I don't think I want to mess up my Pro ISF calibration by Mr. Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster
Hmm...this IS pretty drastic....

"Rewriting the program with the downloaded firmware will cause the following changes in the 3D image quality.

Please consider these changes carefully before rewriting the program.

The quality of all image modes except the VIVID mode will change to theater-like images.

Custom mode images set by a custom installer or with the ISF function will change in the same manner.

Also, please be aware that you cannot restore the previous image quality after rewriting the program."

I'm thinking they will reprogram the service menu (as seen in the Euro version of this guide)

That's pushing it if people paid $$ for a cali and get overwritten by who knows what this is.

I have D-Nice's settings and they've been good to me....not sure if I want to try this but I think it can be reverted if you wrote down your service menu settings.

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
I'm waiting to hear back from my calibrator about the update, he hasn't heard anything about it and is checking. Until we hear more from some of the pros I'd suggest nobody use it who has had a pro calibration done. Hopefully it addresses some 3D playback bugs or something other than picture settings.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
D-Nice has advised me NOT to download the 3.5 update. IT WILL void the calibration settings. Panasonic is to address the matter. Hold tight you people with calibrated Panasonic 3D displays.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy /forum/post/19590420

D-Nice has advised me NOT to download the 3.5 update. IT WILL void the calibration settings. Panasonic is to address the matter. Hold tight you people with calibrated Panasonic 3D displays.

Assume its perfectly safe for those who have not had their TV calibrated?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.