AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jimbo's Dugout: Theatre and Parlor

Bought my house in December '15 and pretty much had the exposed lower level finished within a month: started Jan 9th, about 95% complete by February 9th (just in time for the Bronco Super Bowl win! ;) :) ). Took a bit longer for the final 5% and then a bit longer still for the final equipment to arrive.

The home is a new, exposed, ranch with a pretty decent-sized footprint so I was able to get a shop, art studio, guest/play room, full bath, storage, AND a nice-sized theater area and parlor. Main area is ~ 700 sfq st (~ 18' X 38'). About 1000 squares all day for the "dugout" with bar and landing area.

The idea was a multi-function space with a mid-century industrial motif. I like the idea of a bona fide, dedicated screening room, but it's just too limited for what we like to do, overall.

I am pretty darn happy with it, considering I did 90+% of it myself, all under $8,800 (includes all framing, plumbing, electrical, dry wall, floor and wall coverings, bathroom/bar/bonus room and all permanent fixtures). At 1400 finished sq feet, I'll take it. ~ $6.50 a sq foot! :)

I left the ceiling exposed in the main area (spraying it FLAT black and hitting every nook and cranny was likely the most BS aspect of the entire project). Still, I'm REALLY happy with the look and the sound once everything was dialed in. Spirited playback can be a bit obtrusive upstairs but I really didn't want to enclose the space- sacrificing the aim of the aesthetic, money, and time to prolly neuter it 6dbs.

I'll add some more images as they come in...

Had to work around some furnishings unfortunately...

Built my own barn doors...bout $45-$50 apiece (+ $60 for hardware)!

Spraying wall...every 6 feet morphs from blue to gray...

Half-ton baffle wall!

Hang-out near landing area...bar is on casters so it can be easily moved to adjacent outdoor patio area...

Modest 4-5 seat bar. I have a high-top table and the mobile 4 person bar so I didn't really feel compelled to have it take up too much space. Did all of the cabinets and bar myself, stainless tops and plywood cabinets...

Built-in AV cabinet...sound deadened glass door...completely accessible from back-side...again, all done DIY...

Elevated seating area...I made an 11" riser (with step) that will actually ROTATE so both reclining couches face the screen...

Shuffleboard/hangout area...OLD...before I made my new shuffleboard table...

NEW SHUFFLE BOARD TABLE...

Few shots of theater area...all four seats recline as well...

Entrance signage...

James

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
EQUIPMENT LIST:

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION POINTS:

ALL COMPONENTS CAT-6'D VIA TP LINK GIGABIT SWITCH
(2) DEDICATED 20 AMP CIRCUITS (SUBWOOFERS ON DEDICATED CIRCUIT)
(2) PANAMAX M5300 POWER PROCESSORS

PRE PRO AND 11 CHANNEL ATMOS AMPLIFICATION:

MARANTZ 7702 PRE PRO
(3) QSC DPA 4.2 4 CHANNEL DIGITAL PROCESSING AMPLIFIER (CUSTOM DSP FOR QSC SPEAKER SUITE)

SPEAKERS:

(3) QSC SC-1120'S (LCR)
(8) QSC SR-8200'S (SURROUND, REAR SURROUNDS, ATMOS FRONT AND REAR OVERHEADS)

SUBWOOFERS:

(2) CUSTOM 18" DUAL UM 18-22

SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER: QSC RMXa 4050a 2000RMS W'S CHANNEL ~4,000 PEAK
SUBWOOFER PROCESSING: dbx PA2

SOURCE COMPONENTS:

DIRECTV HR-44
APPLE TV 4
INTEL NUC 2920 (RUNNING KODI OFF 20 TB SERVER)
SONY BD
WII U

PROJECTOR
SONY HW45ES (WAITING FOR 4K UNIT TO REACH HUMANE PRICING)
DARBEE DARBLET

James

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic looking room. Job well done and I am sure it sounds and looks as good as the pictures.

Thanks my man...I think the element I'm most happy with is that it's complete and I really don't have a major regret. I suppose I wish I would have stuck with a porcelain tile in the main area (it's a grey laminate) but it's by no means off-putting and somewhat easily changed in a weekend if I really want to down the line.

James

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great room. What is your screen size?

Thanks a lot- screen is 150". First row of seats are ~ 15 feet with the riser seating about 20-25'.

James

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Did you build the barn doors out of pine? How did you finish them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep- 2X10's. Sanded them with 220 and stained with SW weathered teak. Didn't seal them yet- they get virtually no contact and I like the more raw look- I may revisit hitting them with a satin varnish this winter.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I made an overhead light for my shuffle board table and installed some led lights along the east wall/ceiling...

pics now included in first post...

James

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ thanks- when I hear what some end up spending on basically adding 1600 sq ft (I also have a full bath and large bonus room) I really feel fortunate!

James

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ thanks! Putting to more use than ever now that the snow is flying. :( :)

James

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
UPDATE: 1-12-17 Was never really contented with my "mis-matched" cherry shuffle-board table so I built my own to match the balance of the decor...

Pics included in 1st post.

James

1 - 20 of 57 Posts