AVS Forum banner

Jamestown vs Favi vs Elite

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  workhurts 
#1 ·
Ok, researching projectors and screens takes way more time and effort than just picking out a TV. I've narrowed down my choice of screen to those 3 manufacturers. For a 120" 16:9 screen, they are all around $300 give or take 10% so at this stage I just want the best one.

I'm also leaning towards an Epson 8350 in a room that could be light controlled when watching movies but ambient light will sneak in during the day (but this will be mostly a movie room or evening viewing room). I plan on painting the walls darker at some point in time to help.

Throw distance will likely be around 18.5' and seating is at a similar distance but may creep forward if seating/space allows.

All the calcs seem to indicate this will work. Are there any issues with a projector being right above my head (mounted from a 9' ceiling)?

Anyway, back to the screen ... which is best? The gain from the Favi at 1.4 to me seems like it would work better with my longer throw. I'd go gray to combat ambient light but then again am also afraid of the brightness issue from being 18.5' away (especially towards the mid life of the bulb).

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Been following your thread for a response so hopefully a bump will help.

In the same situation for a screen, but different projector. Recently picked up a HC6800 open box from best buy.

I have screen samples from Jamestown and Elite and can't tell much difference. I like the larger velvet border with the jamestown, but the long standing reputation from elite, don't know much about Favi.

Would like some more peoples inputs.

#3 ·
I think the screen materials they all offer are very similar. It just boils down to esthetics and build Q, plus ease of installation....I'm going for the Elite 115" 2.35:1 'CineWhite', which has a quoted gain of 1.1, but in reality is at .9 gain. About the same as my DIY screen. I'll miss the 4" velvet border I have though

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by workhurts /forum/post/20767968

Ok, researching projectors and screens takes way more time and effort than just picking out a TV. I've narrowed down my choice of screen to those 3 manufacturers. For a 120" 16:9 screen, they are all around $300 give or take 10% so at this stage I just want the best one.

I'm also leaning towards an Epson 8350 in a room that could be light controlled when watching movies but ambient light will sneak in during the day (but this will be mostly a movie room or evening viewing room). I plan on painting the walls darker at some point in time to help.

Throw distance will likely be around 18.5' and seating is at a similar distance but may creep forward if seating/space allows.

All the calcs seem to indicate this will work. Are there any issues with a projector being right above my head (mounted from a 9' ceiling)?

Anyway, back to the screen ... which is best? The gain from the Favi at 1.4 to me seems like it would work better with my longer throw. I'd go gray to combat ambient light but then again am also afraid of the brightness issue from being 18.5' away (especially towards the mid life of the bulb).

Any help would be appreciated.

How did you narrow down to those three? What about monoprice and VApex? There is also another called focupix at htdepot that looks interesting as well.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I am trying to make a very similar decision (right down the the projector type and room use). I do have little shorter throw at 14 feet and might pick a 106-110. I have a 100 now that is a cheap elite pull-down I got from CC a while ago and really want to move to a nice looking and most importantly completely flat fixed screen.

Thanks,

Joe

#5 ·
I'm also in a similar boat here. My room is 10x20 so I'm looking at a 20' throw across the whole room onto a 100" or 106" screen, but I am concerned about how bright the image will be. I'd very much like to avoid a ceiling mount though.

I'm leaning towards the Epson 8350 and an Elite CinemaWhite as well. The Monoprice screens I've seen appear to have the Monoprice logo on them, which turned me off. VApex looks good too though, and similarly priced. I'm generally having a hard time selecting a screen, as FAVI, Elite and VApex all seem to have competitive screens at similar prices, but Elite seems to have a good reputation as I understand it.

#7 ·
I have an 100" electric focupix screen with epson 8500ub. Disappointed in the waves it has gotten less than a year since purchase.

I considered, jamestown, vapex, carada, dalite etc. but I couldn't justify the $700 for the carada or dalite when I hoping to upgrade to new panasonic ae7000 or yet to be announced epson 3d 1080p projectors.

I decided to go with elite sableframe over jamestown because of the frame differences.

I got the elite sableframe 100" off amazon prime today with next day shipping. cant wait to have a fixed screen and no waves!

#8 ·
After much research and basically a coin flip I ordered an Elite SableFrame 110" from macmall for $309 shipped. Also get the Epson 8350 from eBay through electronics-expo (who are an authorized dealer) for $1079 shipped.

The reasoning behind the Elite screen vs the Jamestown was that the Jamestown would have stuck out from the wall a couple of inches because the wood frame sits on top of the aluminum frame. I didn't want that. I also wasn't too sure about what I would think of the way they do the borders. They aren't 45 degree angle cuts and I know that would have pissed me off after a while because I would walk up to the screen and see them. If the screen were in a different location that I didn't walk by every day then I wouldn't have minded.

As for the Favi, wasn't sure I liked how the screen attached and tensioned. Read some not so great reviews about them but who knows. At least Elite is a brand name that's sold everywhere and at the end of the day that's what sold me on it. It's something I could resell without having to explain what it is in the future should I need to go that route.

I'll post a review when I get a chance. I'd be curious to see what route everyone else goes who's in the same situation here on this thread. Good luck.

Still gotta figure out speakers and sort out my in-wall center speaker issue with 12" studs .. ugh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.