AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to pick up a sub from Vann's during their call-in deal special.

Both subs are priced similarly. I've never even seen the Yamaha... anyone have experience with both? Is there a winner here?

Jamo 650 vs. Yamaha Soavo-900SW showdown. Pick one. Go.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30hertz /forum/post/20884516

Going to pick up a sub from Vann's during their call-in deal special.

Both subs are priced similarly. I've never even seen the Yamaha... anyone have experience with both? Is there a winner here?

Jamo 650 vs. Yamaha Soavo-900SW showdown. Pick one. Go.

Look for the "Search This Forum" function in the column above the first threads. It is on the far right. Type in Jamo 650 and select "Show Posts". You will then be shown recent discussion on those exact subs.

Here is one example:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=jamo+650

There are other posts that seem to show satisfaction with the Jamo 650 but I didn't read them completely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only direct comparison I've found is the one with Klipsch in the discussion and I've heard plenty of people tout the Jamo over the Klipsch... and there's really no discussion there at all.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30hertz /forum/post/20884865

The only direct comparison I've found is the one with Klipsch in the discussion and I've heard plenty of people tout the Jamo over the Klipsch... and there's really no discussion there at all.

I see now there is no real discussion of the Yamaha. Without any test data or listening experience, you are buying blind. Even if you were to find one person who had experienced both, that is not much to go by. So, what you seem to be left with is a few people who like the Jamo and essentially not even one person who has heard the Yamaha.

Maybe someone will come through with some actual experience with the Yamaha, but experience with both is going to be hard to come by.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I might possibly find someone who's experienced both. It seems that most direct comparison requests find at least one person out there.

I'm just going to pick one and run with it. They're within $20 of each other and reviews for the Yamaha have been very good (likewise for the Jamo) The only negative is that many feel it's not worth the original price. But I don't have to worry about that since both subs are selling at discontinued/discounted rates.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am also considering the Jamo sub, and the Yamaha looks interesting too. I've searched on the internet for reviews on the Jamo and am not really seeing much info either. I found a review on the Soavo speaker set which was generally complimentary, but faulted the performance on loud rock music.

I called Vann's on their last call-in deal and they were pretty firm on the price of the Jamo. Since then I've realized that, for $400, there are alot of choices including brands that get alot of positive feedback on this forum. I don't think you can really look at original MSRP for guidance on a speaker's value.

I'm interested in which one you will choose, and how flexible Vann's was. When googling the Yamaha I did find a period when Vann's had them on sale for $300.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was surprised how inflexible Vann's was on the price of the Yamaha and the Jamo considering how cheaply they've sold in the past. But I couldn't buy then so I can't be too broken up about that.

There's also the Hsu STF-2 and the Klipsch RW-12d... I mean you could always come up with a better option. When I thought I could call in and get the Jamo for $350 I was prepared to pull the trigger... but... you know, close, but not $350. I also wanted to buy the Mirage OMD-15s but, again, not as cheap as I'd anticipated. I'm backed into a corner there though. I have a full set of Mirages and see no reason not to finish it up. I'm just not dropping that kind of cash on a Mirage sub.

A guy could go gray (if he wasn't already) trying to decide between all of these options. I'm tempted just to go with the cheapest because they're all going to be an upgrade over my old AR sub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.