Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following setup:
Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 9.4
Subwoofer: Jamo D600
Receiver: Marantz SR4002

I use it mainly for watching movies.

The size of my room is about 1600 cubic feet. I positioned the subwoofer using the crawl method. I ran MRAC and it set the gain of the subwoofer to -5 dB. I set the main volume when watching movies to -10 dB. My subwoofer distorts when watching movies with low bass.

I also have some other problems: the grill is rattling even at moderate levels and the subwoofer stops playing randomly.

I don’t know why the subwoofer distorts (it makes flapping sound). Is it defect or am I driving it to hard?

My only other option is SVS PB-2000, which would cost me 130 eur more. Is the SVS worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The flapping sound could be a few things. Driving them too hard and they are bottoming out, or perhaps the surrounds have separated (just visually inspect them). Yes, the PB-2000 would be excellent in your 1,600 cu. ft. room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I inspected the surrounds and there isn’t any visual damage. I really thought this subwoofer would be big enough for my room, especially because it has THX select 2 certification. However, because of all other problems I’m sending it back (s/w is new).

I can exchange it for a new one or get my money back, but not the whole amount. I’m prepared to lose this money and get the pb-2000 only if there would be some noticeable difference. In my opinion, d600 is a good subwoofer and I like how it sounds, but it is my first s/w, so I don’t have any reference to compare.

I read that a sealed subwoofer is better for a smaller room. Is it true?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
"I read that a sealed subwoofer is better for a smaller room. Is it true?"

In my opinion, yes. I had PC Plus, PC Ultra 13, then changed to SB Ultra 13. Much better especially for music. Small room

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Then I guess my room is too big to have any benefit form a sealed subwoofer.
No, you will easily see a benefit from cabin gain. You'll also see a benefit with a ported sub, just not as much because of the steeper rolloff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will probably go with PB2000 now. I didn’t choose it first time, because Jamo was cheaper and better looking.

If I reached dynamic output limit of D600, PB2000 won’t have same problems because it’s ported?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
If you drive your PB-2000 to its limits, port chuffing can occur, but like its sealed sibling, has excellent DSP control. The SB-2000 (sealed) won't have a problem with over-driving because of its DSP capability. If you are going to go with SVS, then take a look at their outlet store as well. And any time you reach the $800 price point for a single sub, there are other options to consider. The good thing about SVS (and PSA) is that you can try it out and see if it performs to your expectations. If not, return shipping is on them.

Other options:

Hsu: VTF-3 Mk5 HP (15-inch ported design) @ $799 ($89 shipping): http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html (this should be a fairly big upgrade on the PB-2000)

PSA: XS15se (15-inch sealed design) @ $799 (includes shipping both ways): http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/xs15se (has the same warranty and shipping benefits of SVS, plus it has a 15-inch driver)

Rythmik: LV12R (12-inch ported design) @ $569 (free shipping): http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
+1 to the HSU recommendation. If I had an $800 budget, that would be my choice. However, with SVS you get free shipping and a better warranty - so the HSU is a little bit more.

I also thought a company made a $650 15" sealed sub, I can't remember the name, but it was something well known and much better than the SVS SB2000 for only $50 more - like PSA/Rythmik, etc. I just can't remember.

EDIT: apologies, I remember: It's Reaction Audio's S-15 http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/s-15-500w-sealed-subwoofer
The link is a B-Stock sub for $499.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Oops. Never mind. Just go with the PB-2000 and make sure you can return it free of charge if you don't like it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I can return it free of charge, but I have to pay for the shipping back to Norway. That would cost me at least $100.

RA S-15 looks similar to my Jamo D600. If S-15 is much better than SB2000, so it should be D600.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I don't think anyone said the S-15 was much better than the PB-2000. It was a very good alternative to look at (if in the U.S.A.). Jamo is not in the same league with Reaction Audio or any of the other I.D. companies I listed. Didn't you already have problems with the Jamo? It's your choice, of course (and you may like a working Jamo). I understand the problems one can have in Europe vs the U.S. as far as warranty, perks and shipping. In the U.S. we often order a couple different subs and test them in our homes before making a decision. I tested 3 in my home before making my decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bgtighe23 compared it to SB2000. I did get Jamo for same price as I would get SB2000. Msrp for Jamo is $1700.

Thank you for answering all my questions dsrussell. You’ve been very helpful.

It’s tough decision for me. Anything I buy, I’m then stuck with if I like it or not.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
It is indeed a tough decision, especially when you don't have the same recourse as people in the U.S. The Jamo appears to be a good sub and does have DSP capabilities (but obviously not as good as those used by SVS because of the problem you encountered). It also shows a frequency response of 20-200 Hz plus/minus 3 dB. If you can exchange your broken sub (or the amplifier), that might be the easiest and cheapest way to go. In either case, I wish you the best and hope everything turns out well for you.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I didn't really mean a lot better as in the RA S-15 blows the SB2000 out the water, but I think its definitely worth the $50 more, given you don't need extension below about 21 or 22hz (in room gain).

Also, I asked about the S-15 B-Stock and this was the reply:
"The S15s are in very good condition with virtually no imperfections. They do come with the same warranty and they will be shipped free."
Now that's a very great deal for $499, free shipping, and a warranty. You might want to try and ask him if you could buy two for $950. I know that is pushing your budget, but if you have experienced nulls, duals will help.

He ended his quick response with:
"Feel free to call at 1 888 315 3437 if you like if you have more questions.
Thanks!
Jeremy
Reaction Audio"

If I had not already purchased my PB-1000, I would have jumped this deal in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
I didn't really mean a lot better as in the RA S-15 blows the SB2000 out the water, but I think its definitely worth the $50 more, given you don't need extension below about 21 or 22hz (in room gain).

Also, I asked about the S-15 B-Stock and this was the reply:
"The S15s are in very good condition with virtually no imperfections. They do come with the same warranty and they will be shipped free."
Now that's a very great deal for $499, free shipping, and a warranty. You might want to try and ask him if you could buy two for $950. I know that is pushing your budget, but if you have experienced nulls, duals will help.

He ended his quick response with:
"Feel free to call at 1 888 315 3437 if you like if you have more questions.
Thanks!
Jeremy
Reaction Audio"

If I had not already purchased my PB-1000, I would have jumped this deal in a heartbeat.
OP is located in Slovenia. I think shipping and import duties would add just a "little" to that price. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts