AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do Jamo speakers compare with something like SVS? Like the c603 vs the SB-01. They look pretty good, but i cant really find any reviews of them. I'm also looking at c60 center and surrounds.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16933251

really? what Jamo's have you listened to?

So.. You are saying that they are good for rock and HT? I have no dealers of Jamo here. I have, though, seen a favorable review on audiohaulics and a few on the audiohaulics forum. My usage will be mostly ht and games. I like that the Jamos seem to be able to hit low (in the specs).

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It looked like the S506, anyway the cheapest floorstander they got. It was playing a blue ray music CD through an upper line Onkyo receiver. Didn't impress me as much as the KEF iQ's with their amazine imaging. But both aren't up to my cup of tea but the KEF seems to be selling way better than the Jamo. Anyway if it's for HT you should be looking at Paradigm, JBL, or PSB.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16933377

It looked like the S506, anyway the cheapest floorstander they got. It was playing a blue ray music CD through an upper line Onkyo receiver. Didn't impress me as much as the KEF iQ's with their amazine imaging. But both aren't up to my cup of tea but the KEF seems to be selling way better than the Jamo. Anyway if it's for HT you should be looking at Paradigm, JBL, or PSB.

Paradigm and JBL are considered by many to be bright. I can't attest to JBL's sound, but I did not like the Paradigm's sound at all. Everyone's ears are different. I have a pair of Jamo E680's and love how they sound for HT.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ditto! I got in on the Jamo 680 deal from wwstereo. Couldn't be happier. They sound great.

I wouldn't buy them for heavy rocking out. I came from some old 3 ways with a 12" woofer. Now, those would rock out. However, they sounded like crap with HT, and didn't have no where near the detail as these Jamo 680s. I have yet to hear a hint of distortion or clipping with my Denon 889. The max I can handle the volume is about +5 and they still sound awesome.

I've paired the 680s with the s60 center and the s602 bookshelves as my rears. Great setup. I'll probably get a SVS PB12 or something to fill out the low end, but it's good for now.

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16933199

Jamo's decent with jazz but I wouldn't use them with rock or HT. Don't know about SVS, you may have to order them and experiment.

I can't speak for the S506. Never hear them. Don't own them.

But I do have several Jamo speaker models in my house, in the three different systems. All being used for both two channel music and HT.

I have the Jamo c603, C607, C60 Center Channel, C803, C807 and C809.

And these speakers are fantastic with any kind of music. I listen to a very diverse spectrum of music. Everything under the sun, except Rap and Hip-Hop. The closet being India.Arie's Acoustic Soul album which does mix in some strong, low bass and drums that sometimes edge a little towards Hip-Hop beats. But not too much. And the Jamo's kick some mighty ass with that Acoustic Soul album!!!!

All these Jamo speaker models sound great with Rock. All of them!

Seven Mary Three's American Standard ......sounds killer with the Jamo's speakers!! I've played Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Judas Priest, Queensryche, Triumph, Tom Petty, Goo Goo Dolls, Collective Soul, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, INXS, The Fix, Angel, UFO, Starz, Black Sabbath, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Phish, Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John.......the list goes. The Jamo's play rock very, very well. The quality of the recording/mix/mastering is what matters the most.

And as for Home Theater, the Jamo's do an excellent job with HT.

I had everyone of those speaker models (except the C809 because I just bought them recently and haven't had much of a chance to work them in to HT, yet. Just two channel. I'm in the middle of moving into a new house) playing HT without a subwoofer and Center Channel for several months (before i bought the C60 Center Channel).

And they sounded very, very good just in that kind of half-done setup.

Now, these Jamo speakers do have a very slight, politeness to them. They aren't an overly-aggressive in-your-face....kick-you-in-the-teeth presentation. But they are not short or weak on dynamic transients.

They can kick out that low bass in both music and HT. Surprisingly powerful bass, when the music or movie content has it.

I suggest the OP go audition some of the Jamo speaker models I have (listed up above). He can decide for himself if the Jamo speakers are his cup of tea or taste.

The Jamo speakers are very smooth...very well balanced and the C80 Series have a fantastic three dimensional depth to the presentation of instruments and timbre. And they have this sweet......musicality to them. very musical speakers.

Again, all my comments are in regards to the Jamo c603, C607, C60 Center Channel, C803, C807 and C809. These are the Jamo models that I own and have lived with for the last year or so.

One more note.....The Jamo's sound their best ...they thrive.....with a very good, high quality power supply for their amplification.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just Another Little Note.....

Most well-designed and well-built speakers will play rock music very well. They will rock out, for as long as you want to rock out.

What typically gives out....or fails, are cheap receivers or cheap amplifiers.

Amps ....Receivers......clip out and fail because they don't have a quality power supply or if they are not appropriately matched for the speaker's power demands.

That's when you get horrible distortion and that poses a threat to your drivers.

Most well-designed speakers will play any kind of music, well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
RE - rocking out. My 680s definitely don't give me that in your face blow your pants off experience that I got from my older speakers.

Same amp, different speakers. I think it's due from going from a 12" woofer to the 2 8" woofers. The low end just isn't there.

When I want to rock out, I want it loud and hard. The 680s might very well do it with more power.

That said - I love my 680s.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I just ordered a set (E680) from WWstereo today in the dark apple with the S60 front.

I wanted the E 7CEN but they couldnt get it.

Anyone know where i can get the E 7CEN i really want that one as my center.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veda /forum/post/16933377

Too each his own, I do not like Kef Speakers myself. I also wouldn't go off of sales numbers as that means nothing at all. Sony HTiB systems sell many thousands of units more than your Usher Be-718. We all know which is better

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16934113

Too each his own, I do not like Kef Speakers myself. I also wouldn't go off of sales numbers as that means nothing at all. Sony HTiB systems sell many thousands of units more than your Usher Be-718. We all know which is better

The problem here is that this guy Veda is making swooping generalizational comments (and criticism) based on one bottom of the rung Jamo model (and he's not even sure what exactly the model number is); that he barely listened to ......in a brief moment.

The guy is NOT even certain of the model number and he barely even listened to it. And god only knows the kind of setup and placement of this absurd "audition".

So from that brief and hardly ideal "audition" ...of some unknown Jamo speaker model, auditioned with some unknown components......in some unknown dealer's store.......in some unknown setting and placement; this guy Veda paints all jamo speakers with his ignorant brush of criticism

Hey, it's one thing if someone actually took the time and effort to audition some Jamo speaker properly and simply didn't like the speaker. That's fine.

We all have our own tastes and preferences. To each his own.

But this guy doesn't know squat-diddley about jamo speakers and he's on here putting them down; while pushing Paradigm, JBL and PSB

Considering my hands-on, living with experience with paradigm and anthem gear; I can tell you I'm no fan or admirer of Paradigm/Anthem's gear or the company as a whole.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Tj,

What are you using to power you set-ups?

I'm currently running a 2 channel set-up with E680's, powered with an Onkyo 605, and I love the sound of them. I have a S 506 HCS system coming today (I purchased the set for the same price I could get the S 60CEN), so I'll be able to give a review of the S 506's.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 /forum/post/16934274

Tj,

I'm currently running a 2 channel set-up with E680's, powered with an Onkyo 605, and I love the sound of them. I have a S 506 HCS system coming today (I purchased the set for the same price I could get the S 60CEN), so I'll be able to give a review of the S 506's.

What did the S506 run you? that is a complete speaker set right? front and rear? - the sub

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16934329

What did the S506 run you? that is a complete speaker set right? front and rear? - the sub

He got the most ridiculous deal, refurb S506 5.0 system for $75 plus $50 shipping. I'm jealous and I don't even need any more speakers! Sub not included.

This is the complete set
http://www.jamo.com/eu-en/products/s...3-description/

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 /forum/post/16934274

Tj,

I have the Butler Audio TDB 2250 (2-ch) amp, the Butler Audio TDB 5150 (5 ch) amp, Butler Audio TDB 3150 (3-ch....just bought recently) and the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500 (2-ch) amp.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16934329

AftoGT is correct, $125 for the 5.0 set. Klipsch sold 6 or so of these sets and I happened to get mine for the lowest price of the bunch. I set my max bid at $75 (plus $50 shipping) since that was what Vince at wwstereo quoted me for an S 60CEN. I wasn't intending to get a 7 channel set-up, but for the price I couldn't say no. Now I'm looking for a sub, the E680's have a good amount of bass, but I want a little more of the low end. Plus, I'd like to take a little of the load of my Onkyo 605.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 /forum/post/16934603

I have the Butler Audio TDB 2250 (2-ch) amp, the Butler Audio TDB 5150 (5 ch) amp, Butler Audio TDB 3150 (3-ch....just bought recently) and the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500 (2-ch) amp.

Have you ever powered your speakers with just an AVR? If so, what were the biggest improvements you heard? I know using an amp will improve the sound, but I'm curious what your experience is with the Jamo's.

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 /forum/post/16934662

Have you ever powered your speakers with just an AVR? If so, what were the biggest improvements you heard? I know using an amp will improve the sound, but I'm curious what your experience is with the Jamo's.

Yes I have.

I tried the C603, C607, C803 and C807 with my rather cheap Pioneer VSX-9130TXH AVR.

Also had my friends come over with an Onkyo and Marantz Receiver, which they let me use for a about a week. They're both in the $300-$600 price range, but I don't recall the model numbers. Could get that for you if it's important to you.

Basically, they sounded pretty good with those receivers. I personally thought the Pioneer receiver sounded a little better than the other two.

But when pushed a harder and for longer time spans; all three receivers went into shut down mode. They couldn't handle powering the speakers for too long or at any slightly higer levels. Same thing happened with different speakers. The Wharfedale Evo 30, the Castle Warwick 3 and all of the Jamo speaker models I mentioned up above.

When I switched to the seperate power amps, the change was very significant. A very impressive change.

Bass became much more distinct and powerful. Not so much that over-whelmed the other frequencies. Still a balanced presentation. But everything became so much palpable...three diminsional...more present and dynamic. Also much more punch and kick, than with the Receivers.

Musicality......melody.....beautiful.

I always prefer seperate amps to AVRs. Even a setup where you use the AVRs preouts (if it has them), is a huge step up.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 /forum/post/16934966

Yes I have.

I tried the C603, C607, C803 and C807 with my rather cheap Pioneer VSX-9130TXH AVR.

Also had my friends come over with an Onkyo and Marantz Receiver, which they let me use for a about a week. They're both in the $300-$600 price range, but I don't recall the model numbers. Could get that for you if it's important to you.

Basically, they sounded pretty good with those receivers. I personally thought the Pioneer receiver sounded a little better than the other two.

But when pushed a harder and for longer time spans; all three receivers went into shut down mode. They couldn't handle powering the speakers for too long or at any slightly higer levels. Same thing happened with different speakers. The Wharfedale Evo 30, the Castle Warwick 3 and all of the Jamo speaker models I mentioned up above.

When I switched to the seperate power amps, the change was very significant. A very impressive change.

Bass became much more distinct and powerful. Not so much that over-whelmed the other frequencies. Still a balanced presentation. But everything became so much palpable...three diminsional...more present and dynamic. Also much more punch and kick, than with the Receivers.

Musicality......melody.....beautiful.

I always prefer seperate amps to AVRs. Even a setup where you use the AVRs preouts (if it has them), is a huge step up.

Thanks. No need to get the specific model number. I just was curious about how significant the changes were.

I know that I'll be getting seperates (or at least a receiver with preouts eventually). I don't plan on pushing them too hard, but I'll be running either 5 or 7 channels, hopefully I don't have any problems as I don't plan on upgrading my receiver for at least a year (most likely in two when I graduate).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts