AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old (at least 12-14 years by now) Jamo SW500 passive subwoofer I purchased back in college.

I recently gave it a work over patching up the nicks and checking the driver foam out, which is amazingly still very solid. As it's passive, the sub isn't worth a whole lot, and while the output is good (dual 10's in a push/pull, it's rather boomy because it is crossed over way too high. I checked out passive crossovers and they seem too expensive, so I was thinking of picking up a plate amp and working that into the unit somehow.

Does anybody know anything about the drivers in this sub? It's so old I can't find anything, and they are not clearly marked. I really like the appearance of this sub and the idea of balancing it out and making it a serviceable powered unit is quite attractive. I'm just not sure if the drivers are some funny low impedance...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

I just came across this thread and don't know if you still care. I have one myself the impeadance stated on bottom of the unit is 8 ohms. If you have anyother interest I have the owner's manual and am willing to e-mail it to you.

Tony

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I traded the sub for a receiver quite some time ago. I think it is making rounds around Detroit via Craigslist now as I see one posted from time to time and there can't possibly be that many of them out there...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I restored an SW500 for use with active crossover - it works a treat now in a loungeroom - placed very close to corner, with two satellite 2-way speakers (5" Vifa ported low end now limited to 90Hz HPF). SW500 needed corners glued and braced and duplex driver magnet assemblies braced to walls. I removed crossovers and connector plates and covered apertures, and sealed the baseplate better. Also flared the ports. Can't hear a buzz from it now - nice tight extended response with music.

Driver info:

RMS 80 watt

Musik 150 watt

Impedans: 6 ohm

Frekvensområde: 60 - 5000 Hz

Vas: 147,3 l

Fs: 34,64 Hz

Qms: 3,62

Qes: 0,46

Qts: 0,41

SPL: 93,1 dB/W/ 1 m

Ydre diameter: 255 mm