Starring: Janeane Garofalo
Directed by: Ryan Polito
Music by: NA
Written by: Janeane Garofalo
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 14, 2010

"She's funny. She's edgy. She's the one-and-only Janeane Garofalo"

Film Synopsis:

In her first solo special in over a decade, this Emmy nominated stand-up superstar digs into the many myths we all live by and casts her unique insights and hilarious riffs on life, culture and politics. Filmed live before a sold-out audience in Seattle's Moore Theater., it's a virtuoso hour-long display of Garofalo’s uniquely outrageous takes on everything from the trouble with twitter, to the truth about rehab, to the end of sex as we know it, to the vaguely disturbing perfection of Natalie Portman's... anatomy. Intrigued? Then prepare yourself, if that's possible, for the extreme comedy of JANEANE GAROFALO: IF YOU WILL!

My Take:

Lets get this out of the way--Yes Janeane is an extreme Left Wing liberal. She is hated by conservatives and she is rather harsh and outspoken about her personal beliefs. I am going to steer clear of that subject matter, which thankfully there was not as much as expected in this stand-up routine. I will say this, regardless of your feelings of her, when she isn't shoving a bit of her agenda down out throats (which annoys me from anyone, regardless of my beliefs), 'Janeane Garofalo: If You Will (Live in Seattle)' gets pretty cerebral at times and she makes some astute observations on life, death, sex, her lack of "Web Presence", as well as Natalie Portman's privates; unfortunately, for me, it never got me cracking up.

This 65 minute special filmed for EPIX was more interesting for her outside the box views than its appeal to the stand-up crowd; Janeane is definitely an acquired taste. She has had quite a career since hitting the consciousness of mainstream America with her appearance co-starring in 1994s 'Reality Bites'. She has had rolls on 'Saturday Night Live', 'The Larry Sanders Show', 'Felicity' and most recently on '24' and is currently filming 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior'. My favorite roll was her portrayal of the sarcastic Agent Dale Shelby in the film 'Clay Pigeons'. It is also rumored that she had turned down offers to be the lead in Jerry Maguire, play Gale Weathers in Scream, and that she had been David Fincher's pick to play Marla in Fight Club.

These days she is known for being a outspoken political activist and much less for her work as an actor and comedian. I have her stand-up before and this special is like there was no wait for over a decade. She is leaner, tattooed up, older and maybe a bit wiser. Besides her smart outlook on certain subjects, I didn't find too much humor in it. Yes it had its moments where I did laugh, but most of the 65 minute runtime was her covert, and almost subliminal self-deprecation and talk of her personal issues that didn't captivate an ounce of my imagination. I do think those into her brand of "alternative" humor will find her act as good as they remember. I much prefer her as an actress.

Parental Guide:

NR - adult themes and language

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

'Janeane Garofalo: If You Will (Live in Seattle)' makes it to Blu-ray Disc from Image Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.5 Mbps and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.2 Mbps.

This is a stand-up routine with one set, bright lights and no need for LFE, surround or anything dazzling. It sure looked nice with no real compression artifacting, grain or noise. Fine details of her face and clothing were easily discernible and the limited shots that had anything dark seemed just fine. The only real negative was that Janeane's skin tone did take on a bit of an orange/yellow hue at times but I attribute it to the lighting; This was my only issue and it really was not of much note. The DTS-HD audio worked perfectly as it was just her talking in the center and some ambient crowd laughter that can be heard in the side channels. Her voice was pretty smooth and had a nice tone to it with no hints of symbalince which I can find very distracting. This is a nice release from Image Entertainment and does its job just as it is asked.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Pets

• (HD) Representative Richard Martin

Final Thoughts:

'Janeane Garofalo: If You Will (Live in Seattle)' is good Blu-ray release. It's a comedy routine, with one stage, one bit of lighting design and one voice the whole way through. For that it looked and sounded as good as it could. Don't expect uncharted grounds from her routine as she remains unchanged in her many years of being a comedian, well besides her new position as an outspoken political activist. For her adversaries, you will star clear regardless....and this isn't for you anyway. No real extra features and the hour long runtime make it less of a value and a rental recommendation to her fans.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen

Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)

SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I like her better as an actress also, but I'll give this one a go, what the heck. I thought she did a good job in "The Truth about Cats and Dogs".

·
Registered
6,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt /forum/post/19229630

Not sure how I would feel about seeing Janeane Garofalo in 1080p.

I always thought she was kinda cute, though I haven't seen her in years. No telling what she looks like now.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19230135

I always thought she was kinda cute, though I haven't seen her in years. No telling what she looks like now.

Not to get off subject, but in my opinion she looks rather tough, at least in her latest gigs such as her character in season 7 of 24. I have not seen much of her work though. I may have to check this out though seeing as it got some decent positive reviews.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Too much of a political spunge to be put here IMO.. You really can't separate the two.. She is who she is..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts