AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be passing thru Japan in a couple months. Anything I can buy there really inexpensive that will work here in the US? I'm thinking in the $1 - 1.5K range. Is it worth buying a projector there?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, if you do not mind that the factory warranty is, in most cases, one year only and valid only within Japan, meaning that you will have to send/bring the projector back there in the event you ever need a warranty repair. Other than that, most projectors will work fine worldwide (but you should double-check for each specific model).

Some of the current best prices there (approximately in US$):

Sanyo Z1 - $1200

Pana AE300 - $1600

Sharp Z90 - $1750

Sony HS10 - $2000

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which one do you think would have the least maintenance, and not mind being moved around. black blacks is nice also. I ask for a lot in this price range huh?

Tim

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'd say the Panny AE300 for your price range as well as reliability (excl the Z90 that I do not know about) . Do try to inspect for dead pixels and convergence if you can.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Whereabouts in Japan can I find such bargains?
Naturally, there are many online discount shops who sells basically within Japan only, and many will give you really good prices. Importantly, some of these online shops also have a small to tiny wholesale-style store in the Akihabara electronics district in Tokyo, or Nipponbashi electronics district in Osaka, where you can comfortably pick up the product.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm trying to figure out if it's really worth bothering with. Are the savings really that much? Someone siad the Z1 could be had for $1350USD. Does not seem worth it to save $150..

Would like to see the AE300 anyway.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, especially considering the warranty issues, I would be cautious unless either (1) you find a VERY good price, or (2) you visit Japan often anyway, so the issue is less daunting.

If the price difference is only $150, I definitely would not bother...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.