·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Japanese firm buys Sonicblue units

By Sandeep Junnarkar

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

April 16, 2003, 9:26 AM PT

A high-end Japanese home entertainment company on Wednesday announced it had won a bankruptcy court auction for Sonicblue's ReplayTV digital video recorder and Rio MP3 business units with a $36.2 million bid.

D&M Holdings, based in Tokyo, is the parent company of Denon and Marantz, which specialize in home theater technology and audio and video electronics for consumers. The bidding process was conducted on Tuesday in the U.S. Bankruptcy court in San Jose, Calif. The transaction is expected to close in approximately 10 days.

Sonicblue put its ReplayTV and Rio MP3 players units--the bulk of its assets--on the block earlier this month after filing for bankruptcy protection in March.

Before the auction, D&M had bid $40 million for the units but the deadline expired before the deal could be completed.

D&M will acquire the Sonicblue's inventory, receivables, intellectual property and capital equipment. The company will also take over certain contractual relationships and liabilities.

The Japanese company said it plans to retain all ReplayTV customers and continue to design, manufacture, and distribute a line of ReplayTV and Rio products.

With the acquisition, D&M Holdings said it plans to set up a new digital development group, merging Sonicblue's assets with the new group. The new subsidiary will be called Digital Networks North America.

Link to Original Article

·
Registered
222 Posts
ahem....lizard boy, I think it's time you chime in here

·
Registered
87 Posts
Was it too much trouble to read the other 10 threads about this before you felt like you needed to make one? Did you even BOTHER looking at all the topics on the front page.

Yesterday called, they want their news back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used to get upset when people would issue "rude" remarks at posts that were obviously old news - or have been posted many times already (even the same day!)...

Now I'm beginning to understand why it's hard to be so patient with new posters who just are TOO LAZY to read.

All you need to do is look down a few threads to know this has been posted already. You don't even have to do a search...sigh....

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
"Duck and cover"

Guys, I'm looking forward to some seriously entertaining bashing and people getting their backs up over message board behavior here.

Let the games begin.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Explain to me what is worse: someone posting actual news that I may have already read, or one of the "regulars" on this board titling a post "News Flash" only to have to read some sort of "joke" that really tells me nothing. Sorry, not trying to be nasty to anyone here, but get off the guys back. If the press release is posted ten times then that's ten times a greater chance people will see it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danc8379
Explain to me what is worse: someone posting actual news that I may have already read, or one of the "regulars" on this board titling a post "News Flash" only to have to read some sort of "joke" that really tells me nothing. Sorry, not trying to be nasty to anyone here, but get off the guys back. If the press release is posted ten times then that's ten times a greater chance people will see it.
Clearly, the 800th posting of a VERY HIGH PROFILE (relative to this board) story is far worse than a joke which you may or may not like.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SWiTCH
I've been patient. I'm sorry.. I snapped.

/me gets rifle and heads off to bell tower.
make sure you use a scope. we don't want this guy surviving.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, not trying to be nasty to anyone here
Oh please, be nasty.... it wouldn't be much fun otherwise.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can see both sides - sure expecting people to scan abit is reasonable...by the same token the 10 seconds it takes to look at a post and realize it is a duplicate does not really justify some of the nastier comments.

And now I have wasted more time than that making this comment.

We have a long way to go before we reach the message board warfare on yahoo, or a particularly funny and vicious one - ****edcompany.com.

But I have noticed a definite increase in the heat around here...I kind of feel bad but is is pretty entertaining.

I do think that stomping on newbies too hasrshly will end up with a forum of the few who dare.

Now I am going to likely get stomped for saying this :) But hey no big deal :)

I am just happy happy happy my SS2000's work.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin526
Clearly, the 800th posting of a VERY HIGH PROFILE (relative to this board) story is far worse than a joke which you may or may not like.
My only point is that I can read the subject line "Japanese company to buy Replay TV" and know that there's no need to read because I've already seen it. But when I see "News Flash" I do have to open it up, expecting to get some information (that is the point of this board, right?). So more time is wasted on that than on the repeated post about the sale. Nobody criticizes off-topic jokes, rants, etc, but somebody passing along information (even if we've already heard it) gets raked over the coals.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robotron
I can see both sides - sure expecting people to scan abit is reasonable...by the same token the 10 seconds it takes to look at a post and realize it is a duplicate does not really justify some of the nastier comments.
Let's put this in an energy expenditure perspective.

One would be poster scans the first page of the forum. Let's say it takes 30 seconds. Total energy cost is 1/2 person minute.

500 readers take each 10 seconds to determine the post to be useless. Total energy cost is 83 1/3 person minute.

The nasty comments are fully justified.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
And exactly how much energy is expended by the person typing the snotty response, and then everybody having to scroll down and read the snotty response?? Seems if nobody responded at all and just let it die there would be much less energy expended.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:
And exactly how much energy is expended by the person typing the snotty response, and then everybody having to scroll down and read the snotty response?? Seems if nobody responded at all and just let it die there would be much less energy expended.
Don't try to get us to lay off of you with this kind of logic. :D The snotty responses are often warranted. Hell, you're keeping this thread alive. If you were to just agree with us this would be over. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sonicblue was for sale? No one told me! I had some money burning a hole in my pocket that could have gone to good use. Now I've just got a toasted thigh.

Snotty, beam me up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.