AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing a lot of PS3's on Ebay and they all say "japanese version with english manual."

Any difference with these??

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There shouldn't be any difference. The games are region-free and the movies are Region A just like North America. And I'm pretty sure the voltage is the same.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I don't know, but bear in mind that it would be region coded for Japan. As has been said, that wouldn't matter for BDs, but it would prevent you from being able to play region 1 DVDs and American PS/PS2 games on it (if that matters). PS3 games are region free though.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Can you plug a Japanese PS3 into a regular USA wall socket? I got a malfunctioning Japanese 60 gig PS3 for $100 off Craiglist, and I was wondering if part of the problem is that it needs a step up converter or something.

I tried a USA power cord with it, and plugged it into the wall, and when I turned the PS3 on, it beeped, and then the red light just started flashing. I didn't get any picture.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/11626238

Can you plug a Japanese PS3 into a regular USA wall socket? I got a malfunctioning Japanese 60 gig PS3 for $100 off Craiglist, and I was wondering if part of the problem is that it needs a step up converter or something.

I tried a USA power cord with it, and plugged it into the wall, and when I turned the PS3 on, it beeped, and then the red light just started flashing. I didn't get any picture.

it depends. There are two different Japanese PS3's. One has 110V output, the other has 230V, strange but true

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR /forum/post/11626300

it depends. There are two different Japanese PS3's. One has 110V output, the other has 230V, strange but true

That is odd, given the Japan is 100VAC. I would imagine that Japanese PS3s have he same power supply/converters as the U.S. model with the standard 90-120VAC operating range you see on a lot of electronics.

BB

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Japan is in Region 2 for DVD, with 60Hz video, and Region A for BluRay. The US is in Region 1 for DVD, with 60Hz video, and Region A for Bluray. Europe is in Region 2 for DVD, with 50Hz video, and Region B for BluRay. Japanese and US PS3s only replay 60Hz video from DVDs. European PS3s replay both 50Hz and 60Hz video from DVDs.

Therefore a Japanese PS3 will play Japanese DVDs, but not regionally encoded US DVDs, nor will it play European DVDs which are in the same region as Japan, but 50Hz.

A Japanese PS3 WILL play US BluRays, as they are in the same region as Japan, but not European regionally encoded BluRays, which are in a different region.

Japan is 100V at either 50 or 60Hz (depends on which bit of Japan you are in) for mains electricity. US is 110V at 60Hz, Europe is 220-240V at 50Hz.

AIUI all PS3s will accept either 50 or 60Hz mains - though many are 90-120 or 220-240V only. This means with an appropriate simple step-up or step-down transformer all PS3s will operate in all territories, with no requirement to change the mains frequency.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.