AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start this thread to get peoples opinion on there perception of AV products based on where they are manufactured.

I have started a small list based on my experience.

Japanese Innovation

Italian Design

German Engineering

Swiss Quality

North American Marketing

Joey

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycalda /forum/post/12891028

I thought I would start this thread to get peoples opinion on there perception of AV products based on where they are manufactured.

I have started a small list based on my experience.

Japanese Innovation

Italian Design

German Engineering

Swiss Quality

North American Marketing

Joey

You should have put Canada in your list!

Classe

·
Registered
845 Posts
Every country has made some great components. Many times, we don't see the best that Japanese main stream companies make in the US.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/12891333

You should have put Canada in your list!

Classe

Um, that's North American.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Brits make some cool stuff.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
I know I picked up a British 'Hifi' magazne in the late 70s while on a stopover at Heathrow, and to me they had the most opinionated reviews of any mag I'd read (I was 14 I think at the time). Still have the mag too. They also matched speakers to turntable cartridges, something I have never read anywhere else to this day.

I've heard from a local speaker repair guy (this guy can re-voicecoil a speaker while retaining the original spider and cone, etc), and he told me that the Japanese crank out some horrible sounding 'high end' speakers, as much of their listening is based on their traditional music which is radically different instrument-wise than what is used elsewhere in the world.

Joey, if your summary above is true, then it is indeed a sad continent that we live in. Take any piece of crap, market the ****e out of it as we are known to do, and consumers will eat it up.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Joey, if your summary above is true, then it is indeed a sad continent that we live in. Take any piece of crap, market the ****e out of it as we are known to do, and consumers will eat it up.

It' neither true nor false, as it's my perception. There is no right or wrong answer. I should add that build quality of Made in the U.S.A was usually strong. It's just to bad that not much is made there anymore. With a large enough marketing budget anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
unfortunately there are very few "swiss, north american, european" companies that actually do the assembly in their respective companies. many have moved their production to china, and their "research" in their respective countries.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/12892694

Um, that's North American.

Yes it is...i read it quick and saw the list as being just countries and just saw american..read to fast.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hello, excuse me. I think the one country/region I could "suffer" with the prospect of owning only what they make is Australia/NZ

Plinius

Halcro

WHT Speaker

Perreaux

Krix

Orpheus Loudspeakers

etc...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Originally posted by joeycalda

Quote:
It' neither true nor false, as it's my perception. There is no right or wrong answer.

You'd probably find the full spectrum of great A/V products to poor A/V products (encompassing your criteria) in nearly all of those regions. I wouldn't personally make a call to say that the categories you've listed are specific to geography. At least, I don't perceive it that way. My own view is that all manufacturers use some spin regardless of where they are located. Granted, some are worse than others.

I think like you joey, I select the gear that I think will do the job well. If I look at my own HT gear, it's mix of American, Australian, German & Japanese stuff. The components in a HTPC come from all over so that's harder to define.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
When i think of high-end European products, i think of tweaky, non-standard design that always has major integration or ease of use issues and speakers that are overpriced, colored, tweaky and lacking bass.

When i think of high-end US products, i think of total overkill on one or two aspects of design, then a complete disregard for everything else.

When i think of high-end Canadian products, i think of European speakers or US electronics, but with some of the flaws and/or ridiculous pricing removed.

When i think of Asian products, i think of how it was all designed to appeal to the masses, no matter how expensive it is and that it was designed and produced without anyone actually listening to it or caring what the result was as long as they hit the numbers they wanted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts