AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between these two models, has anyone don't a comparison on these. A $5000+ difference in price is quite impressive. I understand warranty maybe a factor, but is it a $5000+ factor.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I love my Japanese Sharp Z9000. The manual, remote control and on-screen menus are all in Japanese. The on-screen menus are easily changed to english, you can download the english PDF manual from the Sharp website and the remote is easy to figure out. You can probably order an english remote from Sharp if you want. My projector has performed flawlessly for more than a month, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I never have to deal with the warranty issue.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Some have had some service issues and had to send their units back at their expense.

If the savings are worth the risk and down time and to some it is its a good value.

Its funny though listening to those complain who did have service issue:(

·
Registered
385 Posts
My Japanese Z9000 has performed flawlessly so far, too. I bought mine from RK Media--excellent service, very reputable. I can't justify forking over $10K-$15K on something that goes obsolete every 6 months in this crazy industry.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PSB
I can't justify forking over $10K-$15K on something that goes obsolete every 6 months in this crazy industry.
Well,

here are my 0.2 cents: You could choose another brand! There are (at least one I know ;) ) companies that don't do this hit an miss thing with products. They care about their customers and provide them with upgrades.

We do have a lot of ruckus in a German forum at the moment where the problem is discussed that Sharp refuses to provide Sharp 9000 users with necessary updates. It's a real pity...

In the end you have to pay for service and you can't expect much if you don't. On the other hand there are firms here in Europe asking for a lot of money above the Japanese price without providing anything for the higher price.

Sorry for being so frank, but the only solution to all this is to consult knowledgeable dealers (like Alan ;) ) about these issues in case you don't know all the background yourself.

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clehner

We do have a lot of ruckus in a German forum at the moment where the problem is discussed that Sharp refuses to provide Sharp 9000 users with necessary updates. It's a real pity...
You are paying for warranty when you buy the PJ.

Is Sharp refusing these updates worldwide? I know you have to send it in. (dumbasses) This must be quite expensive for Sharp. Too bad they didn't think of this beforehand...

I'd like more detail on this situation.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
I to am considering purchasing a projector and am thinking about using Price Japan. Has anyone had any serious problems with this company?

Is there no warranty option available for purchase when buying a projector from this company?

Are there any mechanical changes that have to be done to the projector before using it here in the states?

Craig

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
No warranty option. You take the risk.

You are covered by over seas warranty. Just send it back.

You have to give something up for the savings.

No machanical changes needed.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

don't get me wrong. What I said has nothing to do with Price Japan. The discussions in the German forum are about Sharp Germany not being able to provide sufficient support for the customers who bought their units here in Germany :(

I'd actually recommend using ********** however if you want to have a high end projector that is well supported you may think of something else like a SIM2 ;)

In the end good support is not for free, makes sense, doesn't it?

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I bought a Marantz from ********** and have been very satisfied. The price was about 50% of the best local price when I bought it in mid January. If you can go into it with your eyes open you should be very pleased. If you are looking for a half price deal with no risks there is no free lunch. Some have complained endlessly expecting the same service coverage as a US purchased unit. Consider these risks and also your mindset when considering buying a Japanese projector.

There IS NO US WARRANTY! Both Sharp and Marantz pjs will have to be sent back to Japan for any warranty service. This can be tricky as pricejapaan is not a dealer, merely a buyers agent who accepts your money and then goes shopping in Akihabara to buy your pj from a boxseller. AND READ THE WARRANTY! Neither warranties include bulb damage in shipping or early burnout.

The Marantz (don't know about the Sharp) is not packed nearly well enough to minimize shipping damage when shipped individually via DHL etc. Most of us have had damaged packing foam even when the unit survived intact. Several have had cracks in bulbs that were either DOA or shortly after power up.

Also consider your temprement, experience and location. If you get pissed every time something isn't absolutely perfect maybe you may want to consider your local dealer who can install your pj and guarantee perfection. In over 20 years of high end audio I've had experiences way worse than what most here at AVS are complaining about. If you live many miles from a major city think twice. With warranty service in Japan its comforting to have local service organizations that can at least look over your projector if needed.

Finally remember that you are saving $5 to $6k. You can buy lots of replacement bulbs for that.

If DWIN ever gets their new projector to market and the $8k "street price" that Alan has been forecasting becomes real you may want to consider this a pretty viable option. If it had been available the week after CES when I ordered my Japanese Marantz I would have gone for it in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by suffolk112000
Sounds kind of scary.

If there is enough savings involved as there is in the Sharp 9000, it may be worth it.

Thanks Alan!
Kind of like a mail-order bride. Sure, you don't have to do any song & dance number to get their attention, but what you get may require a garbage bag to be able to sleep at night.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
And the sexist pig of the month award goes to. . .

WanMan!

:D

Oink, oink!

(Ok, things are a little slow out here in Albuquerque today!)

Dan

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Dan,

I'll have you know I grew up quite domesticated due to the six, count them, six [older] sisters. Ok, so the garbage bag tagline was a little over the top, but I found it funny. :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wanman:

So did I (find it funny). I'm of the generation where we were all sexist pigs. Oink, Oink! :D

Dan

SIX older sisters? You're lucky you got out of that place alive!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alan/Carl:

Totally agree with you guys!

You take the savings, and at the same time you take the risks.

(And meantime, don't cry here days in days in case something goes wrong... :D )

WanMan/DanHouck:

You guys are having too much time in your hands. Hey, WanMan, what's with the mail-order bride thing? :D

·
Registered
935 Posts
It really boils down to a personal decision. Everyone's Risk Threshold is different. For me it was a simple decision. IMHO:

If you were buying an RPTV and it was $5k, what would you think when the salesman said your 1 year limited warranty will be an additional $5k? Would you buy the warranty. If you do, you're kinda saying that you're confident that the unit will break in a years time and will be more expensive than the cost of the warranty to fix. From what I read, the Japanese direct units seem to come out with the latest firmware first and the owners seem to be happier (complain less). No I didn't do a chi squared analysis. Maybe they're avoiding the "I told you so".

I bought my unit from **********. As far as communication and delivery, they exceeded expectations. The transaction was flawless and the PJ has been flawless. The on screen menu was easy to switch to English (or whatever language). The remote is very simple to figure out and the PDF file of the User Guide has a layout of the remote. You could easily make your own overlay or better yet, use a universal remote.

just my 2 rmb.

Bomber

PS This is a common topic and my last almost identical post was deleted by the moderator.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Bomber,

I agree with you 100%. I looked at it from the perspective that I could get a 2-for-1 on the Sharp, and we all know we [fat] Americans love 2-for-1s at the fast food places. :D

I also looked at it that I would be buying a $10K projector for $5K, and the additional psuedo-warranty would be another $5K and in the form of a second projector sitting around if need be.

What WILL be interesting is if and when Sharp ships the 9000 replacement containing the HD2 chip, and the remaining stock of 9000s in Japan go on super-duper discount!

Ahh, yes. What a field day that will be.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Wanman,

Right now I'm still in the honeymoon period with my sharp. I can't imagine it being better. I'm resisting the urge to look into the new chipsets. I haven't even scratched the surface with the 9000 yet. When my wife suggested we build a theater (yes that's what I said), she had a $7,000 max figure for a PJ in mind. When I came in under budget at $5K, the WAF went way up. Now that the theater is nearly complete and we're enjoying it, I could probably get her to spring for a more expensive unit down the road.

I guess what I'm saying is the ********** deal opened the WAF door for me. In addition, there is something called the Sherman Act. Consumers demand Value and that value proposition can only be judged by the individual consumer.

happy to hear I'm not alone.

Thanks,

Bomber

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.