AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been considering this DVD but have ben put off by reports of poor image and sound quality. Amazon complained that the print looks washed out and the sound is tinny (it was a 1999 release). I have the 7th Voyage DVD which is great. Can anyone who has rented or purchased this DVD let me know about the quality of the transfer?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you want the film I wouldn't let the quality hold you back. I didn't thing there was a big difference between Jason and 7th Voyage.

John Moschella

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The DVD of JATA (boy, I love this!) offers an image quality that is far above over any other video version of the movie extant, thus is preferable.

I have no doubts that you'll be pleased with the great images contained in the DVD, but do realize the sound isn't the sort of mix that could rival modern soundtracks. It serves the intended purpose well enough, though...

-THTS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can't agree with Frank on this one. If you happen to own a high-end LD player, the Criterion LD is top-notch on both video and audio. The mono sound is crisp, the images filled with color and sharpness (except for some of the process shots). But that can be player-dependent. (If you don't have LD capability, no need to read further. Just get the DVD.) It is the only video version approved by Harryhausen.

Of even greater import to some is that the DVD has been altered to not reflect the filmmaker's intent. Harryhausen restored the intended look of the film for the Criterion LD and the DVD changed it so that it would "look better." (According to a published comment from a tech at the time.) One example is the Harpy capture sequence. This was shot day-for-night and is supposed to be a night scene, per Harryhausen. Often changed to daylight for TV showings, Harryhausen restored it back to the desired evening specs for the LD. The DVD changed it to sunset. The opening sequence of the movie was tinkered with on the DVD also.

And this, from the DVD/LD Newsletter: "Fleshtones on the DVD look somewhat orange, and fleshtones on the LD are much closer to true fleshtones. Many other hues (but not all) have a cleaner, truer look on the LD"

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Given Tri-Star/Columbia's seeming penchance for tinkering with their films' original colimetry and such, perhaps you are right -and I wouldn't dispute your assertions at this point in time since I no longer have the LD- but try to find the Criterion laserdisc at the DVD's price!

Oh, by the way...and what about the DVD's 33% of greater vertical resolution by virtue of being anomorphically "enhanced" (the widescreen and not the "full screen" version)?...

-THTS

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Oh, by the way...and what about the DVD's 33% of greater vertical resolution by virtue of being anomorphically "enhanced" (the widescreen and not the "full screen" version)?...
Doesn't the DVD have 69% more resolution!

LD: 360x567

DVD: 480x720

Maybe there will be a Criterion release on DVD some day.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Roland,

I was referring to the DVD's own resolution increase or gains obtained from the enhancement and not how much range there is between the LD and DVD formats, although the percent you mention would be about right. Thanks for the heads up... :)

-THTS

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I bought my Laser Disc player way back when, the first disc I asked for for Christmas was the Criterion version of Jason and the Argonauts. I love it!!! I sold off most of my laser collection when I moved into DVD, but I still have Jason. I think the going price was like $150 back then, and now I wouldn't trade it for the world.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crow331
When I bought my Laser Disc player way back when, the first disc I asked for for Christmas was the Criterion version of Jason and the Argonauts. I love it!!! I sold off most of my laser collection when I moved into DVD, but I still have Jason. I think the going price was like $150 back then, and now I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Well, actually LD is more at around 400 - 430 lines (depending), so it's not a 69% difference.

But Frank, you're forgetting that the anamorphic version crops a good deal of the stop motion work on this film! Harryhausen shot it at 1:33 and preferred it be shown that way. I think the Criterion LD is lovely, sharp, detailed, colorful and looks and sounds better than the full-frame DVD on my system. I agree that it stands as the definitive home video version.

The original price was $99, but with discounts, most people paid less. I paid $70 and it was worth every penny. As for finding it now at a comparable price to the DVD, it was available through LaserExchange about a month or two ago for around $15.00! That's LESS than the DVD!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.