AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a SIM2 D80E (separate post) which I had calibrated by Jason. For a very reasonable fee, he sets up everything: color temp, gamma, primary and secondary colors and much, much more. His work is documentated in 5 PDF files, full of information (some way above my head).

But the best part, is you can take the proj. out of the box, turn it on, and get a perfect picture without adjusting anything. All of his settings are stored in a proj. memory, so if you want to fool around with the settings, you can.

I didn't bother. The picture was flawless. I wouldn't change anything.

I recommended in the STRONGEST terms possible that if you buy a proj. from AVS, have Jason calibrate it. You will not regret it. Having has projs ISFed before, he does a lot more, gives you a lot more data, and does it for far far less than what ISF charges.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I strongly recommend using AVS forum too. I do for my purchases (for brands which they stock).

Most importantly they have earned my trust. They are competent with great prices and services tailored to several levels. They think like us. They are one of us. So how can we deny ourselves?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Jason is definitely first class. 8)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate /forum/post/13014291

I strongly recommend using AVS forum too. I do for my purchases (for brands which they stock).

Most importantly they have earned my trust. They are competent with great prices and services tailored to several levels. They think like us. They are one of us. So how can we deny ourselves?

Yes, this has been my experience as well.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
All true. Me too. 'Nuf said.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more Robert. Got a VW60 a few days ago, which was calibrated by Jason. All I had to do was plug it in and voila a beautiful picture out of the box.

Great stuff.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is great news.

I have always been told that to be calibrated correctly, the projector needs to be calibrated in your environment with your source inputs.

I am glad to hear that the ISF guys are incorrect and there is an easier way to get it done.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate /forum/post/13014291

Well, not sure what is going on with me but I am trying to purchase from AVS for the first time and am not having the same luck as most of you. An email sent to Jason on 12/30/07 asking for guidance on 1080p projectors went totally unanswered. Attempted again last Friday from my office with more specific request regarding combo RS2/lens/screen and got a rushed answer. I am thinking I may have better luck phoning him? What is your recommendation?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 /forum/post/13015144

I am thinking I may have better luck phoning him? What is your recommendation?

That is a good idea. On a couple of occassions they asked me to call so they could go over things. Probably it's the amount of email coming in that is the issue. And then I suspect it's easier to explain some things over the phone and make sure there's understanding.

I also found a problem with my Yahoo account. Sometimes an email will take a couple of days to show up! But that's on me; each time it came through finally, the date would show that I got prompt attention.

I'd also like add that an after sale issue gets great attention and every effort to make sure you're a happy customer. That was my experience.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason is extremely busy doing installs. You are better off calling him, and leaving a message if he's not there. I know Jason well, and I have trouble getting hold of him

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Robert:

I have a related question...as part of the calibration is there an "accounting/Adjustment' for one or more of:

1. The specific screen one is using as the property setup using a StudioTek 130 would not be the proper setup for a FireHawk;

2. The specific source components one is using as the proper setup for an Oppo DVD player would not be the proper setup for a Meridian DVD player; or

3. The specific video processor...in other words, it would great for the calibration to include, as an exmple, the gamma, grayscale and CMS capabilities of the RadianceXD for those of us that own one.

4. The throw distance, etc.

Clearly such service would push one more towards AVS.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegrey99 /forum/post/13015142

I am glad to hear that the ISF guys are incorrect and there is an easier way to get it done.

Well... I wouldn't say that ISF is incorrect in saying that a calibration should be carried out oun-site. I'd put it this way: In the order of worst to best, I'd list it this way:

1: No calibration

2: On-site calibration by non-skilled calibrator

3: Off-site calibration by skilled calibrator (especially if he knows your equipment and compensates if needed)

4: On-site calibration by skilled calibrator.

Depending on your needs, you could definately get great pictures from either of these situations, but there is no doubt that if the same calibrator had the chance, he would be able to carry out a better calibration on-site than off-site. The price would probably be higher as well.

(of course, I speak for myself only, and not on the behalf of ISF or other installers).

Also, It's not a matter of choosing either an ISF calibration, a THX calibration, a JKP calibration or a this or that calibration. The goal for a calibration is the same. The quality of the service has more to do with personal knowledge and experience of the calibrator, and not which courses you take.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/13015351

Jason is extremely busy doing installs. You are better off calling him, and leaving a message if he's not there. I know Jason well, and I have trouble getting hold of him

Thanks guys.. That is what I thought, he is very busy. I will call him. This was not intended to bad mouth AVS at all. I have been a member for a long time and love the forum.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J /forum/post/13016298

Well... I wouldn't say that ISF is incorrect in saying that a calibration should be carried out oun-site. I'd put it this way: In the order of worst to best, I'd list it this way:

1: No calibration

2: On-site calibration by non-skilled calibrator

3: Off-site calibration by skilled calibrator (especially if he knows your equipment and compensates if needed)

4: On-site calibration by skilled calibrator.

Depending on your needs, you could definately get great pictures from either of these situations, but there is no doubt that if the same calibrator had the chance, he would be able to carry out a better calibration on-site than off-site. The price would probably be higher as well.

(of course, I speak for myself only, and not on the behalf of ISF or other installers).

Also, It's not a matter of choosing either an ISF calibration, a THX calibration, a JKP calibration or a this or that calibration. The goal for a calibration is the same. The quality of the service has more to do with personal knowledge and experience of the calibrator, and not which courses you take.

Yeah I totally agree with this post. It is better to have something done to dial in your projector than nothing or some dialing in by a calibrator without experience.

There is the posibility that the difference between 3 and 4 is very minimal depending on equipment used etc.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
off-site calibrations still require you to do basic calibration using AVIA - your sources will not match the reference video generator used. They are of value for getting the grayscale corrected which is a function of the panel - but brightness/contrast are there to adjust for your source. Knowing your projector has been calibrated to reference - you can then see if your source has basic calibration adjustments - rather than circling between source/display.

Also screens are less than 10% error - OOTB PJ presets are much worse - some calibration software comes with screen offset files - and some calibrators have collections of screen samples.

There are a few factories that calibrate before shipping - and that usually minimizes errors enough that onsite ISF is not warranted on a price/benefit ratio. I call resellers calibration 'ReFactory' - its something the manufacturer should have done to ensure design performance when calibrated (many do not - and thus have very poor calibration performance). The uber videophile would still want to get on-site ISF done - - and the neophyte who cannot work AVIA best get on-site ISF done. But for many knowing they have a D65 "ReFactory" preset is good enough for them. It is not ISF (or JKP or THX) calibration because they consider that to be the work of the traveling calibrator in your room - but as with all things that have diminishing returns...you get to make that choice.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead /forum/post/13013336

I just got a SIM2 D80E (separate post) which I had calibrated by Jason. For a very reasonable fee, he sets up everything: color temp, gamma, primary and secondary colors and much, much more. His work is documentated in 5 PDF files, full of information (some way above my head).

Robert, are you talking about user settings in the on screen menues, or are you talking about more detailed calibration settings in the service menues?

·
Registered
605 Posts
My mind set is getting it done right. To me paying big $$$ for a projector and not paying a nominal fee for a calibration is comparable to buying a Corvette and filling it with regular unleaded gas.

Certainly not for everone, but I just don't have to expertise to fine tune my VW60, especially with the plethora of adjustable settings on it.

Jason's cal, to my eyes anyway is excellent. The picture quality coming out of my PJ is nothing short of stellar. Well worth it.

my2cents.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts