AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is nuts. I bought the Widescren/DTS version of Jaws abut a month ago at Best Buy and just sat down today to watch it. Wierd thing is that there is no audio setup on the menu screen, and no DTS on the processing side. What am I missing here? The jacket has the DTS marker on it, but there is a new barcode sticker on the plastic sleeve that covers an older barcode on the jacket sleeve insert.

I went browsing on Amazon and there are two versions of the 25th anniversary Widescreen release, one DTS and another listed as just Dolby (I presume stereo). Being that stores do not take returns on DVD is there no recourse for the consumers (like false advertising conditions)? This DVD cost me $23 and the sound just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
That's weird. I have the same edition, but I got mine when it came out. It also has the second bar code over the original (which I tore off, the actual UPC # on the DVD is 2519209132). The DTS setup is under the "languages" option on the main menu, and I have definitely watched the disk in DTS. If you don't select DTS you will get DD Prologic, which, as you said, doesn't cut it. Look at the main menu again and check out the "Languages" option- if that doesn't help then maybe you got a bootleg!!! :confused:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think your disk might be mislabelled or defective. According to DVDFILE.COM

Quote:
Cohesion, richness and a real tangible quality are the three ways the DTS 5.1 surround soundtrack improves over the Dolby edition. If it sounds like I'm saying that the DTS is much better than the Dolby Digital version, I am. Comparing the two, the DTS 5.1, encoded at 758kbps, fills up the listening space rather than just encircling it, which is what the Dolby does. This is most apparent with the John Williams score as DTS simply images much more completely. When surround effects happen, either with actual effects or the score, the Dolby version calls attention to itself, sometimes causing me to turn my head and look toward the speaker, fully aware that I just heard the surrounds. Listening to the DTS soundtrack, there is smoother response and panning in all channels, which makes for a more natural feel in the soundtrack that doesn't seem as gimmicky as the Dolby Digital finally ends up being.
You can read the full review here.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek:

You are 100% correct, and it was located under the Languages section.

EDIT: Now I'll have to watch the entire movie all over again. :)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
:eek:

You are 100% correct, and it was located under the Languages section.

EDIT: Now I'll have to watch the entire movie all over again. :)
Excellent!! Glad you didn't have a bum disk. I may watch it myself tonight, now!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Maybe I'm kind of off base here, but did anyone else find Jaws to be incredibly lame? I mean all these shots of screaming people in knee deep water? And lets see, out in a boat chasing a huge man eater and they all get loaded, sounds believable. not. I practically crapped my pants when I saw it in 78 (I was living in a New England beach community) but it was laughable when I saw it a few days ago. This movie did not age well.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by philba
Maybe I'm kind of off base here, but did anyone else find Jaws to be incredibly lame? I mean all these shots of screaming people in knee deep water? And lets see, out in a boat chasing a huge man eater and they all get loaded, sounds believable. not. I practically crapped my pants when I saw it in 78 (I was living in a New England beach community) but it was laughable when I saw it a few days ago. This movie did not age well.
Boy, Phill, you give a young directors in the early 1970's some harsh treatment! And by the way, I find most of what Bullywood sends out these days even more lame than anything from the 1970's.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't think it was lame at all. If there were a shark eating people off a beach, I wouldn't stop running and screaming when I got to knee deep water. I'd stop when I got on dry land! As far as drinking while shark fishing, you've obviously never been on a shark fishing charter. Remember, they thought it was just a normal shark, not a super intelligent homicidal shark! I thought the film was fairly realistic.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Watched it again last week - I think it's still a terrific movie. I found the extras on the DVD interesting, particularly that Shaw rewrote the speech about the sinking of the Indianapolis . Don't know how many people realize that story is generally true...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You had to be there when certain movies were first released, such as "Jaws, Close Encounters, Superman, Alien".

There had never been anything like them and you were seeing a shark that was gigantic(didn't swim alone for a long time), an alien mother ships size that boggled the mind, a guy that could fly and the greatest looking alien ******* you had ever laid eyes on!!!

Now, they look tame, but then it was pure magic!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well, we do part company on this one. Like I said, it was incredible when I saw it in 78. But last week, I just couldn't get into it. It was just not credible to me (even if you could suspend the "smart shark" doubts). I've lived in a beach community for many summers (like 20+) and been around boats a lot - people don't behave the way the people did in the movie. I was at a beach in 78 where some one claimed to have seen a shark in the water (turned out to be a sun fish). People very calmly left the water. None of the mindless panic from Jaws. and this was a couple of months after the movie came out - most people had seen it.

Now, alien is still quite powerful. I cant say the same for Close Encounters.

By the way, if the shark was so smart, why did it let them hit it 3 times with a harpoon? Oh, yeah, dramatic effect....

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Close Encounters feels a bit silly to me now that I'm older, but Jaws is still a terrific film, IMO. In fact, it's on the short list of Spielberg films I still really like along with The Indy Jones movies and Duel.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
WanMan, Jaws was originally released with a mono soundtrack so don't expect

anything spectacular in the way of surround sound effects. There were many who were very upset that this dvd did not have a mono soundtrack included.

The surround effects are pretty subtle, mostly restricted to the music score.

This is a movie, a work of fiction, and a very very good one. As such it need not be totally realistic in every aspect of everyone's behavior. If we're going to complain about panic in 3 feet of water (after the film's already told us most shark attacks occur in 3 feet of water!) then we surely must call all of the Star-Trek and Star Wars movies unrealistic because we can hear explosions in the vacuum of outer space.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
totally realistic in every way? not likely in any movie but I'd like it to at least be able to suspend my belief. and it wasn't 3 ft. it was more like 6 inches.

as to sound in a vacuum. dont get me started on that one steve...

each to his own

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
"porkers...you talkin about porkers?" "hooper drives the boat chief!"

"that big chinese fella he pulls me right over""a...a...whaaaat?"

"we're gonna need a bigger boat...""didn't you hear your father...outta that boat NOW!"

not highlights...just what pops into my head whenever somebody mentions JAWS.

to this day i'm still afraid to swim in the ocean.

can't explain it, no matter how many times i watch it, i enjoy it every time.

i'd choose it over anything else done by spielberg.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
How well was the DTS done? Is the sound quality good? Anyone know how many tracks were originally used to record the film?
I'm pretty sure this was discussed when this DVD was released years ago. But I'll recap.

Some of the foley work was redone to make it more contemporary - especially the gunshots. There are not that many standout surround activity in the remix from mono to 5.1.

However, the biggest benefit of this remix is the famous John Williams' score. If you think it was scary to listen to in mono, you have to listen to it in DTS. According to the review at The Digital Bits I believe, the DD version of Jaws was nothing to shout about; but when you hear the DTS version... I have the DTS version.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/jaws.html

fuad

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by philba
sorry you don't like it, I think its an incredible movie, one of the few movies I can watch over and over again and not get bored half way through. I think its realistic. The people are running out of the water because they know the shark has already eaten someone before. The great thing about this movie is it moves at an incredible pace and is exciting the whole way through.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.