AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a member of several other boards, one of which is instrumental in creating the Jaws tributes on Martha's Vineyard.

Well, they were trying to organize another tribute for the 35th anniversary this year...and they were turned down by Universal Studios.

Quote:
This past week, JAWS© celebration event promoter Susan Sigel Goldsmith received the official response from Universal Studios to her request for permission to develop and promote Jaws35 : The Tribute' in fall of 2010. The request was denied for that time period. Universal indicated this denial was due to a new release for JAWS currently being scheduled in 2011. Sigel Goldsmith indicated it seems likely that permission would be granted for celebration timed with the new release in 2011, thereby creating an anticipated delay of roughly 6 months.

Makes no sense...for the 36th anniversary but...whatever. Something to look forward to next year.

·
Registered
19,131 Posts
Nice. Hope they use the extras from the DVD. Too bad Roy Scheider isn't around to record extras for the new edition.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18224470

Nice. Hope they use the extras from the DVD. Too bad Roy Scheider isn't around to record extras for the new edition.

Everyone is hoping The Shark Is Still Working documentary will be included. I have seen it and it is FANTASTIC. Roy is a big part of it, as he narrated it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Why is everything "next year" with this format.

Sorry to throw cold water on it, but it's like most titles I want on Blu. Taking FOREVER and a day to get here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not to throw even more water but nowhere does it say Blu-Ray in that quote. As we all know, Studios love to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release movies.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In that documentary about film editing called THE CUTTING EDGE, they have several HD shots of the original JAWS that look quite great. No doubt the BD will be fantastic -- but yes -- the waiting game is becoming tiresome.

·
Premium Member
24,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/18224712

Why is everything "next year" with this format.

Sorry to throw cold water on it, but it's like most titles I want on Blu. Taking FOREVER and a day to get here.

I agree they like to tease us.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Heh, it'd be nice, Jaws is awesome! I've personally learned to take these threads as nothing more than rumor though. A link and some sort of confirmation w/tentative specs, etc, is when 'I' officially get excited now (not knocking the OP, sure one would've been posted if that info were avail). Last year MY favorite movie of all time, The Outlaw Josey Wales was also hinted at coming this year from Warner...same method, a quoted blurb from someone at Warner by way of some other site mentioning it on a 2010 release slate, etc. It was never mentioned again. Still may happen, but I kinda doubt it. Here's to hoping the Jaws news is legit.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils /forum/post/18226130

Heh, it'd be nice, Jaws is awesome! I've personally learned to take these threads as nothing more than rumor though. A link and some sort of confirmation w/tentative specs, etc, is when 'I' officially get excited now (not knocking the OP, sure one would've been posted if that info were avail). Last year MY favorite movie of all time, The Outlaw Josey Wales was also hinted at coming this year from Warner...same method, a quoted blurb from someone at Warner by way of some other site mentioning it on a 2010 release slate, etc. It was never mentioned again. Still may happen, but I kinda doubt it. Here's to hoping the Jaws news is legit.

Considering the Jaws Fest is a HUGE event for Jaws fans, I would assume Universal isn't lying to people who organize something like this all by themselves. It's in their best interest to drum up some free publicity for a blu-ray release so there's no reason to lie to them.

Why they'd be waiting until next year (passing an anniversary), I don't know.

·
Registered
825 Posts
FINALLY!!!!

But I hope it´s a Jan-Feb release and not Dec 2011, making it almost 2 years away

Together with Alien, this is my absolute favorite movie of all time.

It´s depressing to think how mediocre Hollywood is today in comparision as NOTHING comes even close to this one in quality anymore.

Imagine what a ****-fest Jaws would be if it was made today, with annoying teen TV actors and CGI overload

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Art, good point. We are now pushing 4 years in since the launch of BD. If they don't get a move on with some of these titles, we'll become old men, our vision will be shot, and it won't really matter.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
2011? I'll be 50, my vision is already shot, and I'll be buying it anyway. *sigh* I was really hoping for a summer 2010 release.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Oh boy, 2011. I'm dying for Jaws on Blu-ray, but being that it is March 2010, I'm having trouble getting excited about this announcement.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm predicting 3 more releases of T2, 4 more releases of Star Gate and one or two more versions of Total Recall before we get Jaws. Got to get your priorities right after all.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I agree that it's always "next year" or tied into some new release or something. It really does make waiting for my favorite catalog titles annoying.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator /forum/post/18225874

In that documentary about film editing called THE CUTTING EDGE, they have several HD shots of the original JAWS that look quite great. No doubt the BD will be fantastic -- but yes -- the waiting game is becoming tiresome.

There's been a terrific looking print that's aired on HDNet Movies over the last couple of years of JAWS. No reason they can't release even a barebones Blu of that master that right away -- hell with a movie like this I wouldn't even mind a "double dip" in 2011 or 2012.

I totally agree with Art. I just don't understand the rationale for taking SO long to get quality catalog content out on Blu. Seems like there's no issue getting Total Recall and Stargate out there multiple times -- and saturating the rest with B-grade Van Damme titles -- but when it comes to some classic titles that you'd think would sell FAR more copies, they're not bringing them our way in the quantity this format cries out for.

There's got to be a larger business-oriented reason involved. Is BD in the big picture still "growing" so that they'd prefer flooding the market with CATWOMAN, hoping consumers would buy anything, in order to save the "big ticket" catalog titles for long as possible until the user base has maxed out?

I have no idea if that would be a reason but it's just baffling to me why they keep churning out lousy catalog titles (with only a handful of exceptions) instead of movies like JAWS. I apologize for the frustration but, again, it seems every year most of the Blu catalog titles we have to look forward to are perennially coming next year. Or the year after.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/18229468

There's been a terrific looking print that's aired on HDNet Movies over the last couple of years of JAWS. No reason they can't release even a barebones Blu of that master that right away

It's been on Cinemax HD a number of times and looks really good.

They're just waiting for player penetration. Spielberg/Lucas like to wait for it as everyone knows.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts