AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased th Jaymar 57334 model of seating with the motorised option for seat model #44.

I am waiting on delivery in 2 months while I have my theatre room built.

I want to install the electrical outlet for the motorised chair directly underneath the chair.

I need to know if there are any restrictions under the chair which would restrict placement. Does the electric motor or anything else underneath the chair restrict placement of the outlet and plugging in the motor?

If anyone has a motorised #44 of the 57334 series I would appreciate knowing if there are restrictions in the amount of clearance under the chair or if the electric outlet and plug can be placed anywhere under the 36" x 36" chair.

Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can't tell you anything about any obstacles under the chair that might interfere with plugging in and operating the chair. However, I would advise against putting the outlet directly beneath the chair. Reclining chairs have multiple moving parts and several pinch points that could damage the electrical cord. The manufacturer has secured the cord safely around these areas. Putting the plug beneath the chair brings these elements back into play. Just my opinion but I would suggest another approach if your desire is to hide the cord and electrical connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randy, I appreciate the input.

You are correct in that my objective is to hide the electrical cords and putting the outlets under the seats seemed like the best and most elegant solution.

What other approaches would you suggest?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, the best solution for you depends on how you want to set up the seats and room. One possible idea is to build (or buy) a platform for the chairs. Then you can put the outlet(s) underneath and take the cord straight down through the platform and avoid any pinching by the mech. A second option is to put an outlet directly behind the chairs. A third would be to put an outlet at either the left or right end and run a cord with 4 outlets towards the center/back of the middle chair (or two middle chairs). There should be room between the back of the chair and the feet to tuck the cord beneath the edge of the chair to hide it. Do the same for the electrical cords from each chair and route them to the centrally located outlet. You could do something similar with metal electrical chases designed to route an connection over an external surface while secured withing a metal housing. Lowes or Home Depot would have this product. Whatever you do, make certain that no moving part of the chair comes within a few inches of an electrical cord.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.