AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Your help to this point has been invaluable. I've had an inkling to go with Reacton Audio (I like the ID philosophy) but Im purchasing for someone else and I need to really make sure I know my stuff!

In reading some other threads, plus a comment made in my previous thread, I've been looking at JBL 8320's for surrounds as an option if I don't do everything from RA. In the JBL line, there is the traditional looking Studio 580/590 vs the Pro Cinema line 3722N with perhaps a 3677 as the center channel. I've seen that notnyt is running a similar setup with the 4722 (and a million subs) and seems to be extremely happy, but I know his set up is somewhat different

The room is ~3000cuft, projecting onto a 20' wall and seating will be ~10-11ft from the screen. I will be making a custom wall enclosure so I'm not worried about visual aspects of the speakers. I will be using a Denon 4520 as a pre-out to an Emotiva XPA-3 amp for the LCR's.

Can you comment on the different philosophies of these two JBL lines? People tend to compare the JTR Noesis line to the JBL screen arrays, but I just don't know!

Thanks!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The JBL pro speakers will have quite a bit more bass output capability then the Studio 500 or Reaction CX-10 or CX-8. The Studios will not have anything like the dynamic range of the Pro Cinema line or even the Reaction speakers. I would just forget about the Studios in this instance, good speakers, but meant for applications that have a WAF. I think the seating in your situation might be a bit close for JBL Pro Cinema speakers. I would probably go with Reaction CX-10s as long as you have some good subwoofers.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I don't know of any official guides for that online, but I would drop MKTheater a PM, he has went through many pro cinema speakers for his home theater including JBL pro. There are posts around here about good seating distances from the JBL pro speakers as well, might try to do a forum search for that. The Reaction speakers won't need any distance for optimal sound as a consequence of their coaxial drivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts