AVS Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 3205 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes that is correct.

A funny thing happened to me once is that after i loaded the file and made sure everything was correct, it wasn't.

For some reason it doesn't always load it correctly from the first time so always best to double check.
The one with the locked icons is correct. You need to reset the one with the blue icons and make sure you have the right tuning file. JBL does not want you seeing the sttings in their tuning files.
Reloaded them with tunings and now both amps show blue icons and unlocked. Could it be the amp firmware; I reset both amps in Audio Architect (not a hard reset on back of amp) and downloaded new firmware; version 1.0.2.19. I'm going to connect the speakers like this for now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yes that is correct.

A funny thing happened to me once is that after i loaded the file and made sure everything was correct, it wasn't.

For some reason it doesn't always load it correctly from the first time so always best to double check.
The one with the locked icons is correct. You need to reset the one with the blue icons and make sure you have the right tuning file. JBL does not want you seeing the sttings in their tuning files.
Reloaded them with tunings and now both amps show blue icons and unlocked. Could it be the amp firmware; I reset both amps in Audio Architect (not a hard reset on back of amp) and downloaded new firmware; version 1.0.2.19. I'm going to connect the speakers like this for now.
I did a hard reset before I loaded the tuning files in my DCi amps. Are you sure you are loading the files correctly? Did you go to file drop down and load the tuning file first? Then click on the speaker icon pick recall and choose the correct speaker. Do this for all the speakers individually.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I did a hard reset before I loaded the tuning files in my DCi amps. Are you sure you are loading the files correctly? Did you go to file drop down and load the tuning file first? Then click on the speaker icon pick recall and choose the correct speaker. Do this for all the speakers individually.
Just did a hard reset and reloaded. I'm sure they are the right ones, I've been doing that exact process....Open tunings, for each channel choosing the tuning (second one in the drop down) and then "store". I did this all "online". This time the icons were locked. I then went to off line and "store" the tunings. I shutdown the amp and program. When I go to connect again it starts "offline" and tunings are not there. I go "online" and they are there and locked....I then go "offline" and they are unlocked. Somehow they are getting unlocked when going from "online" mode to "offline" mode.

This time I followed the Crown audio YouTube tutorial and loaded the speaker tunings "offline", the tunings are now locked. I clicked the "S" to send "online" and stored them there. Now they are both locked; online and offline. I'm going to go with this for now. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just did a hard reset and reloaded. I'm sure they are the right ones, I've been doing that exact process....Open tunings, for each channel choosing the tuning (second one in the drop down) and then "store". I did this all "online". This time the icons were locked. I then went to off line and "store" the tunings. I shutdown the amp and program. When I go to connect again it starts "offline" and tunings are not there. I go "online" and they are there and locked....I then go "offline" and they are unlocked. Somehow they are getting unlocked when going from "online" mode to "offline" mode.

This time I followed the Crown audio YouTube tutorial and loaded the speaker tunings "offline", the tunings are now locked. I clicked the "S" to send "online" and stored them there. Now they are both locked; online and offline. I'm going to go with this for now. Thanks for help.
You will know if they are working. If they are not loaded you will have no LF and the speakers sound like tin cans.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You will know if they are working. If they are not loaded you will have no LF and the speakers sound like tin cans.
Dirac is showing they dig deep so the LF is there. I'm running them as surrounds/atmos but when I have some time I'll try a pair out in stereo with some music. Happy with these so far after watching a movie.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dirac shows my 708i's slope off at 28Hz. That's impresive for a 8" LF driver. Thanks for the update.
I can't recall where they got to in my room but it was low. Tried them out in stereo for a quick listen in a non optimal config with no eq and they sound phenomenal, instruments sound "Live" in good recordings, instrument separation and sound stage were all there which is impressive given they were the side surrounds rotated to create a stereo pair...I listened where my screen was if that makes sense. They get plenty loud, more than I would regularly listen to normally. I still need to install the LCR 708i's to complete an 11 channel 708i system.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Just noticed many places are having discounts on the 708's and 705's (P and I). any reason for that?
I'm guessing because most business large and small have seen massive loss in sales? Because of that virus thingy?

Reactions: dwaleke

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Reminder from AVS owners to keep street price and where to buy discussions to the deals forum or any forum deals stickies.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Please let me know if 708i performs as good as JBL Synthesis SCL-3 for surround purpose. Since my room is 20’ wide with just 3 seats a row, I wouldn’t mind losing a couple of feet by opting for 708i over SCL-3. I am going to put the amps in a separate machine room and amp noise isn’t going to be a problem.

Also I am planning to cover the surround speakers using stretch fabric. So i don’t think I have to worry about the aesthetics either. Please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

It looks like SCL-3 is going to cost me about 3-4x the money when compared to 708i. Just wondering if this kind of premium is worth it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Please let me know if 708i performs as good as JBL Synthesis SCL-3 for surround purpose. Since my room is 20’ wide with just 3 seats a row, I wouldn’t mind losing a couple of feet by opting for 708i over SCL-3. I am going to put the amps in a separate machine room and amp noise isn’t going to be a problem.

Also I am planning to cover the surround speakers using stretch fabric. So i don’t think I have to worry about the aesthetics either. Please correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

It looks like SCL-3 is going to cost me about 3-4x the money when compared to 708i. Just wondering if this kind of premium is worth it.
Go for the 708i and you wont regret it! have four for a year and they r just amazing, i mean nearly M2 good.

the price jump from the 708i to the SCL series is just huge for most models.

Also running three M2's for LCR.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Go for the 708i and you wont regret it! have four for a year and they r just amazing, i mean nearly M2 good.

the price jump from the 708i to the SCL series is just huge for most models.

Also running three M2's for LCR.
Great, that’s very encouraging. I just couldn’t figure out the advantage in opting for an expensive SCL-3 over 708i after breaking my head for several hours today. While I would love to save some money, I didn’t want to lose out on something that I am not aware of 😏 - but it looks like there isn’t anything really.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've upgraded from the 308p to the 708i for use at my computer and I'm finding for this very near-field application that I want to trim the HF and maybe boost the LF much like I had the option to on the 308p via the dip-switches on the back.

The 708p has Factory Presets for LF Boost and HF cut -- is there anyway to figure out what these settings are from the factory so I can apply them to my DCi amp via Audio Architect?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've upgraded from the 308p to the 708i for use at my computer and I'm finding for this very near-field application that I want to trim the HF and maybe boost the LF much like I had the option to on the 308p via the dip-switches on the back.

The 708p has Factory Presets for LF Boost and HF cut -- is there anyway to figure out what these settings are from the factory so I can apply them to my DCi amp via Audio Architect?
Did you load the tuning files from the JBL Pro website into your DCiN amp? See Link: https://jblpro.com/en/products/708i#downloads scroll down to speaker tuning files.

·
Registered
539 Posts

How much of a difference it is for SQ compared to 308p?
Here are trim setting from jbl 705 (lower graph), I really doubt its much different from 708
https://www.soundandrecording.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/JBL-705P-FRE-580x433.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you load the tuning files from the JBL Pro website into your DCiN amp? See Link: https://jblpro.com/en/products/708i#downloads scroll down to speaker tuning files.
Yea I have the tuning files loaded. The 708p has these presets. I'd love to try them out on the 708i but I don't see any presets in the tuning files.

PRESETS – Provides access to six factory presets and six registers that can be used to save user-created
settings of EQ and Delay parameters.
u Load
Load Factory Preset
• [1] EQ Flat
• 2: LF Boost
• 3: LF Cut
• 4: HF Boost
• 5: HF Cut
• 6: HPF

·
Registered
18 Posts
How much of a difference it is for SQ compared to 308p?
Here are trim setting from jbl 705 (lower graph), I really doubt its much different from 708
https://www.soundandrecording.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/JBL-705P-FRE-580x433.jpg
I absolutely love my 308s so much so that I bought M2s for the living room. The 708s are everything the 308s are but more. It's cleaner and more authoritative at all listening levels and I can really turn these up without any hint of distortion. Overkill for my use? Absolutely, but I wanted to be able to easily hang them off the wall -- they have lots of mounting points and ported in the front vs rear.

3161 - 3180 of 3205 Posts