AVS Forum banner

3181 - 3200 of 3205 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yea I have the tuning files loaded. The 708p has these presets. I'd love to try them out on the 708i but I don't see any presets in the tuning files.

PRESETS – Provides access to six factory presets and six registers that can be used to save user-created
settings of EQ and Delay parameters.
u Load
Load Factory Preset
• [1] EQ Flat
• 2: LF Boost
• 3: LF Cut
• 4: HF Boost
• 5: HF Cut
• 6: HPF
The problem when loading the tuning files it locks all of those settings. See attachments. You could ask JBL tech support to make you a custom preset file.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
The problem when loading the tuning files it locks all of those settings. See attachments. You could ask JBL tech support to make you a custom preset file.
A good point! I can only modify the input EQ -- not the output. I'll see if tech support will humor me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What's the difference between output and input EQs?
you can measure your amp and replicate without that lock thing.
There were setting itt also, but for a peace of mind better measure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Crown amp operating temperature

Is it ok to put a stack of Crown DCI-n amps in a sealed non air-conditioned 3 ft x 9 ft space (room) without impacting their service life? Please clarify.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Is it ok to put a stack of Crown DCI-n amps in a sealed non air-conditioned 3 ft x 9 ft space (room) without impacting their service life? Please clarify.
Why would you want to put your amps in a small unventilated closet? I would try to find a way to get air in and out.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I wouldn't do that.

i have them in a cabinet but it's open from the back, AC is on auto for the room and the front has a black/acoustically transparent fabric so it helps too.

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
I would add a rice cooker and Dyson hair dryer in there also, left on, just for good measure....

Reactions: Jsin_N and DS-21

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why would you want to put your amps in a small unventilated closet? I would try to find a way to get air in and out.
I wouldn't do that.

i have them in a cabinet but it's open from the back, AC is on auto for the room and the front has a black/acoustically transparent fabric so it helps too.
I would add a rice cooker and Dyson hair dryer in there also, left on, just for good measure....

Thanks, I really appreciate your inputs. I have an equipment room planned for my theater that would be accommodating a projector in addition to other electronics. The equipment room is pretty spacious and should be well ventilated as well. I am planning to setup a single pane port glass for the projector to shine through the wall to light up the screen in the home theater room. Since Crown amps are said to be noisy and port glass is pretty thin with poor STC, I am concerned if the pro amp fan noise would be transmitted to the home theater room through the port glass. This would defeat the whole purpose of setting up the equipment room. I am not sure if I am too paranoid or if this is a genuine cause of concern.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks, I really appreciate your inputs. I have an equipment room planned for my theater that would be accommodating a projector in addition to other electronics. The equipment room is pretty spacious and should be well ventilated as well. I am planning to setup a single pane port glass for the projector to shine through the wall to light up the screen in the home theater room. Since Crown amps are said to be noisy and port glass is pretty thin with poor STC, I am concerned if the pro amp fan noise would be transmitted to the home theater room through the port glass. This would defeat the whole purpose of setting up the equipment room. I am not sure if I am too paranoid or if this is a genuine cause of concern.
I have two crown amps in my rack inside my room next to the screen. Noise has never been a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have two crown amps in my rack inside my room next to the screen. Noise has never been a problem.

Happy to hear that. When I auditioned M2 speakers driven by iTech amps, the fan noise was ridiculously high and I assumed that DCI amps won't be too different.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have been told the iTech amps are a lot louder than the DCI. My room is over a 3 car garage and has a 10 foot opening going into the room. My rack is next to the entrance on an exterior wall. I have never had issue with the DCI amp noise at the MLP. I also leave my rack door open for ventilation during movies. My DCI amps are driving M2s and they have never spun up to anything beyond the normal fan speed.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am working very hard to bring the noise floor down to a minimum possible level in my new dedicated home theater setup and I was pretty worried about DCI amps spoiling the party. Looks like I can be happy with my choice now :)

On a related note, is there a chance for any audible hiss with DCI amps when compared to regular power amps from Arcam, Audiocontrol, etc. I have a couple of inexpensive Crown XLS amps driving Boston Acoustics speakers and they produce a hiss when their gain is turned up to 7+ level out of 10. Was wondering if this problem exists with DCi series as well.

Edit: Have never faced such hiss noise with my other amps (Anthem and Music Fidelity) in my current setup - even when the volume knob is turned up to the max position and no audio material is played.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am working very hard to bring the noise floor down to a minimum possible level in my new dedicated home theater setup and I was pretty worried about DCI amps spoiling the party. Looks like I can be happy with my choice now :)

On a related note, is there a chance for any audible hiss with DCI amps when compared to regular power amps from Arcam, Audiocontrol, etc. I have a couple of inexpensive Crown XLS amps driving Boston Acoustics speakers and they produce a hiss when their gain is turned up to 7+ level out of 10. Was wondering if this problem exists with DCi series as well.

Edit: Have never faced such hiss noise with my other amps (Anthem and Music Fidelity) in my current setup - even when the volume knob is turned up to the max position and no audio material is played.
I have a Audiocontrol X7 processor and two crown amps DCi 8/300 and SDA-4600 bridged for 1200 watts (Synthesis same amp) all balanced connections. Ear 1" form speak no audible noise.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You can always measure a BSS or DCIn and construct those filters yourself on any dsp platform that allows enough filters.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a Audiocontrol X7 processor and two crown amps DCi 8/300 and SDA-4600 bridged for 1200 watts (Synthesis same amp) all balanced connections. Ear 1" form speak no audible noise.
You can always measure a BSS or DCIn and construct those filters yourself on any dsp platform that allows enough filters.
If Crown DCi amp would work well, I would prefer to stick to Crown as I don’t have expertise in creating filters.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If Crown DCi amp would work well, I would prefer to stick to Crown as I don’t have expertise in creating filters.
It's not a bad thing to learn something new.

But obviously if it works well and the price is good for you then why change anything.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey all, has anyone tried to run the 708i's EQ with a minidsp (like the SHD)? I know it only has 10 bands, but just curious if it works.

-Jim

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey all, has anyone tried to run the 708i's EQ with a minidsp (like the SHD)? I know it only has 10 bands, but just curious if it works.

-Jim
I haven't tried but you can use FIR filtering for part of the filters and then use IIR like dcin does to reduce number of bads needed. FIR filter used is around 240 taps so it should be easy to implement.
some minidsps are capable of fir filtering iirc

3181 - 3200 of 3205 Posts