AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty much down to these two sets of speakers. The JBL E80's are offered for about $350/pair from an authorized online dealer (no tax, free shipping). I can pick up the Polk T90e's (Euro version of Monitor 60's) for about $380 at a local B&M store (including tax).

I currently have Polk RT400 mains (about 6 years old), Polk CS245 center, Polk rears and a JBL E250p 12" sub (newest addition) anchored by a Pioneer 1014.

I will buy the respective center channel to match whichever floors I choose.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Both of these sets seem to have good reviews.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Since they sound completely different to my ears, I'm sure you are going to have to listen. Personally, I like the Polk sound better, but many favor the JBLs. Hopefully, you have a local B&M that carries both because auditioning is really the only way to go.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had JBL E60s before I got my Axiom M60s. By the way, are you planning to purchase JBLs from JR.com? I liked JBLs, as they are very good (to my ears) for rock music (99% of my music listening). Different story is if you can afford paying more and check Axioms, Rockets, ACIs, B&Ws, and Paradigms.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBark
Best Buy carries the JBL's so I can demo there. Do you think the JBL's are "boomier" than the Polk's?
In short, yes. To me the JBL E100s I listened to were loaded toward the bottom and compared to the Polks, sounded muddy. Everyone's taste is different, so if you've heard the JBLs try to find some Polks to audition.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got my E80's about 3 hours ago. So far so good. I got them from jr.com. They were shipped a few hours after I ordered them(friday 2:00pm) They don't sound muddy at all. To me they sound clear and detailed. I've only been listening to direct tv audio channels(not the best source material). I listened to all the Polk R and Monitor series, and the JBL's out performed them IMHO. I will post in a few days with more opinions, after I watch and listen to more sources.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.