Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might be subjective....

Just want to know what people think? About to buy some 2 front mains for starting a home theater/sound system.... (also getting an SVS PB-10 SUB)....

I cannot listen to either so just want some adivice?

I like loud accurate and detailed sound. listen to loud jazz, blues, rock, rap, electronic music, and home theater. 50% music 50% home theater.

JBL or ASCEND??

thanks, rp

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just got teh JBLE80's but I never had the luxury to listen to the ASCEND 340M's. The JBLs are nice. They need a little break in but from what I hear, they are loads better than my kenwoods that I used to have. If get teh E80's I'd also recommend the JBL EC-35 center which complements the 3-way which the E-80, E-90 and E-100 are. I also got JBL E30 rear surrounds and they do a nice job. THe only thing im waiting for is my Yammy sub and I"ll be set. But even without my sub, they should really good. Can't go wrong with either, but I like the sound.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
A few weeks ago I upgraded from the E80's/EC35 to the 340's across the front.

Notice I said upgraded. The Ascends are in a different league compared to the JBL's (the Ascends ar 2xs the price- so they really should be).

The JBL's are great for the $$$, but the Ascends are MUCH better. If it is in your budget, then get them.

The JBL's do color the midrange where the Ascends are flat and transparrant and extremely detailed. JBL's do not have the detail and are not as transparrent (they are still nice tho)

If you listen to a lot of crappy recordings, then you might be better off with the JBL as they will hide the recording/production flaws better. The AScends are VERY revealing.

On the flips side, a well recorded/produced source will sound infinitly better on the Ascends.

I am REALLLLY enjoying my 340LCR's with my SVS 16-46PC+.

I took a shot on the AScends without demo and glad I did.

Since you are in Cali, find out how far from Ascend you are.

I am sure David would be more then happy to have you over for a demo.

That is another + with Ascend. Like SVS you get to have direct interaction with the guys that designed and manufacture the speakers.

I have swapped many emails with Ron and Tom from SVS and David from Ascend.

1st class products w/ 1st class support.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
nm

·
Registered
496 Posts
Have to disagree with part of that. Then again it's up to my ears. Like I said, I got the JBL because of my budget. It's just all up to what you like and what do want to use them for. For me, it's mostly just movies. But the JBL's are very nice speakers. If ya want, go with the Ascends they may be better, I'm just saying that the JBL are very nice for the money.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb7247
Have to disagree with part of that. Then again it's up to my ears.

How does one disagree with someone's comparative review when you haven't heard one of the speakers?

·
Registered
496 Posts
And I said part of that, not disagree with all of it. And also I've been doing alot of reading about both of them and opinions from around the web on many different types of speakers. I woudln't say an upgrade, but a improvment from the JBL to Athenas. It's not like going from a mustang to a testerosa, more like a testerosa to a lamborguini. Sure it's probably a little better, but fromo what I read it's not by much. Like earlier poster said, I read it has better midrange, but depending on your ears and equipment you have, it could either be a small improvement to a large. All depends on your perspective. But hell, even with the JBL's aren't a disappointment. I think upgrade is a stretch.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
But, his thoughts are how the JBLs sound in comparison to the other speaker.

·
Registered
496 Posts
again, it's up to your ears, for him, it could be a drastic improvement. To another person, it could be little. He made it sound like the JBL's are junk im comparison when they are not since they sound very good to me. Subjective.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I guess I'm aware that mboy has tons of posts pimping the JBL as a top choice at their price point and get that his comments are comparing the two speakers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
And actually, mboy doesn't call the JBL's junk, he says

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy
The JBL's are great for the $$$
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy
(they are still nice tho)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Just want to know what people think? About to buy some 2 front mains for starting a home theater/sound system....
I has E90/mains and E30s/surrounds in 7.2 system and I use 90% for HT.

E90 is same to E80 in many ways. JBL E80's is good enough for starting HT,

If you listen more to music then get Ascend. For the price of JBLs now, you can't go wrong with it.

BTW, this's my1st post, and it's IMHO :)

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Well, I have compared the E90s to my Athena AS-F2s and the Klipsch F3s on my amp and I have heard the ascend speakers on a different amp.

The at first, I thought I liked the E90s better... but only for a few minutes. The Mids are great! The BASS on the E90 is very very strong, but not very clean, but still good. The Highs are muddled.

Overall the JBLs are good... but not awesome. JBL went very cheap on the cabinet. .5 MDF, and a single brace in the middle. Very weak for the amount of BASS it was pushing.

The AS-F2, does not have as much bass as everyone says. But I love the vocals. In stereo mode, I sometimes have to walk to the center to be certain that it is off. I am saddened by the lack of BASS though.

The ascends sounded great, even though they were hooked up to a cheap amp(onkyo 501)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more accurate speaker than the JBL's? Currently I have some 2004 Cerwin Vegas 12" 3 way speakers (V-12F's)....along with an Audiosource SW-15 SUB. and i say i am starting a HT because I am not truly happy with the CV's and Audiosource.... They go loud but sound kind of muddy..... and i do not feel the quality is there....

Would you think it would be a step up to go with the Ascends 340's and the SVS PB-10 over what I have?

Would I get the volume I can get with the CV's?

thanks, rp

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla
Well, I have compared the E90s to my Athena AS-F2s and the Klipsch F3s on my amp and I have heard the ascend speakers on a different amp.

The at first, I thought I liked the E90s better... but only for a few minutes. The Mids are great! The BASS on the E90 is very very strong, but not very clean, but still good. The Highs are muddled.
I haven't heard the Ascends but I do have the JBL E90s. I really like the sound of the JBLs but realize they may be somewhat colored in comparison to the Ascends.

I do though have to disagree with the "The Highs are muddled." comment. I think they are a fairly forward speaker on the highs. Also, to me the punch of the bass sounds good although it may be soemwhat over emephasized. All IMHO ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy sabre
I do though have to disagree with the "The Highs are muddled." comment. I think they are a fairly forward speaker on the highs. Also, to me the punch of the bass sounds good although it may be soemwhat over emephasized. All IMHO ;)
You wouldn't disagree if you tested the JBLs vs. Ascends head to head like I did.

The JBL E-series tweeter is not as accurate as the one Ascend uses.

For rock and roll music, the JBL was fine. In fact, it cranked just as well as the Ascend. But on anything else, the superiority of the Ascend was blatently obvious. Also, the JBLs *do* have an artificial base "bump" which can be seen in this spreadsheet I made. It didn't make it sound bad, but it is not as accurate.

On build quality, if that's important to anyone, the Ascends were better. Thicker MDF, threaded holes for wall mounting, lables put on straight, etc. etc.

As was already mentioned the JBLs can be had online for half the price of the Ascends. I consider the JBLs a great deal at that price. They are really in two different tiers. Like has already been said... if you can swing the Ascends, go for it. If you can't, or listen to mostly rock music, you won't be sad going with the JBL's... :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.