AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Newcomer to the home theater world. I've been piecing together a system (as $ allows) over the last couple of years. I finally got a new receiver to replace my late 90's yamaha RX-V992, it's a yamaha RX-V1600. Question is, I've read about bi-wiring (which I currently am doing with my old receiver) and also bi-amping, which my new receiver is capable of doing. I'm running and sticking with 5.1 since my living room is relitavely small, and the (2) rear surround channels in the RX-V1600 are unused. Can I bi-amp my floorstanding speakers, the JBL Northridge E90, or will this cause damage or problems to them? They do have dual sets of binding posts which makes me think it is okay, but in the owners manual they only talk about bi-wiring, not bi-amping. Please and thanks for any replies...Mike

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
You can Bi-Amp them, but it makes very little actual difference, especially when running from a reciever. Bi-Amping is typically done using two seperate outboard amps. Receivers kind of fake it by allowing to re-assign the back channel, but you get very little actual power upgrade because the amps are still sharing a power supply, which limits the amount of actual power available.

I tried both on my E80's, and eventually just went back to a single ordinary speaker wire, and have not missed it at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.