AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my old Rel Strata has seen better days, I need to replace with one of the above.

I have two choices, get the JBL ES250 now, for $340 or wait until the Klipsch RW-12d comes back down in price to $350 at the egg.

I need my sub to be at least 19" high, since my wife has a statue on it. (don't even go there!) These seem to be the only two that are around the $350 mark, and 19" tall.

I don't listen to music with a sub. I leave it to pure stereo sound on my Kef Q70's.

This'll be just for movies.

Which one would you go for? Why are there not many reference to the JBL in this forum? One thing they've always been good at is bass.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had replaced my JBL SUB12 when its amp fried with the ES. I was less than pleased. Visually, it was nice, but it had an audible hum (not a ground loop with my equipment) audible from across the room. I may have gotten a bad one, but there was no way I was keeping it. I sent it back and actually went bigger with the Hsu VTF-15H.

Visually, the ES went well with my other speakers. Audibly, I didn't think it was a very good sub. It didn't even sound as good as the SUB12 it replaced.

When I upgraded the rest of my speakers, I obtained a Klipsch RW-12 (not 12D), and it is a much better sub than the JBL was, in my eyes (or ears). However, I have no use for it and it's sitting in my spare bedroom. It can't compete with the dual VTF-15H subs.

Between the 2, I vote for the Klipsch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.