AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everybody,

I currently have a pioneer 140w x 5 receiver with 2 bose 201s and am looking to get a sub in the $200 to $300 range, preferably closer to the 200 side as I am not a huge audiophile but still do appreciate quality sound. Although if something is significantly better and is toward the $300 range I would go for it!

I'm a college kid and listen to mostly rock and alternative, and occasionally play some electronic although not that often. I live in a dorm and the dimensions of my room are 12 feet high, 20 feet long, and 10 feet wide. I use my stereo system on only music.

I have been been researching a lot the past week and just seem to be bogged down by all the info, however I'm determined to find a sub that meets my budget etc.

Basically, which of those subs are ones that deliver punchy clean bass at a decently loud volume. I hear great things about hsu however I don't know if it will be the loudest. I was also wondering how the energy esw-c8 @ $220, energy s10.3 (if still available), and klipsch sw-350 @ $225 compares to the ones in the title.

I am not turned off by appearances, I just want a good sounding sub that fits my budget. 

Thanks for all your time guys,

Gordon

Also, I wouldn't mind any other input regarding subs I didn't list that might fit the bill better than the ones I mentioned.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
Subs I have herd in your budget are the Dayton Sub1200, JBL ES250, Polk PSW505...the Sub1200 stands out the most at its price point. I thought it sounded well balanced for 129.00. The JBL was pretty nice but you can overdrive it in the lower frequencies. The Polk has the most oomph but sounds bloated around the 40-50hz range.

Also the NXG-12 is said to be pretty good.

Reaction Audio is closing out the BPS212 for 329.00 delivered. I have refrained from recomending this until we get some 3rd party reviews, but it may be worth a look for that price.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon075  /t/1524098/jbl-es250p-vs-bic-f12-vs-bic-pl200-vs-hsu-stf-1-vs-others#post_24523450

Basically, which of those subs are ones that deliver punchy clean bass at a decently loud volume. I hear great things about hsu however I don't know if it will be the loudest. I was also wondering how the energy esw-c8 @ $220, energy s10.3 (if still available), and klipsch sw-350 @ $225 compares to the ones in the title.

I recently purchased the HSU STF-1 for $317 shipped. I've only had it for about a week, and haven't pushed it very hard yet, but I can tell you that it is definitely much louder than the Energy ESW-CS8 it is replacing. I have it in an 11x17x8 room, and so far I am very pleased with its performance. I have not heard any of the other subs you mention, so can't comment on them. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts