AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After reading a couple dozen threads I can't really find the answer that I'm looking for.

I'm building a system that will be running a sub (PL-200). I'm torn between the ES80s and the ES90s. Is the only real difference the 8" vs 6.5" drivers? If that's the case then the ES90s would perform much better without a sub, but with a sub there shouldn't be any need to, or improvement by going with the ES90s, right?

Also, I keep getting a lot of REALLY mixed reviews both on here and other sites about the quality of those speakers. Some people say they're absolute garbage, while others say they are the absolute best budget speakers to be had... I'm just not finding much of a middle ground on this. I'm not an auidophile, this will be my first AVR/HT system, so I truly won't know any better, but are there speakers that have better performance around that price point? The ES80 = $144 each on amazon and the ES90 is $249 each.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Could be the larger driver speakers will have better mids and highs. Might also be likely that they will have better dynamics for playing louder. But you are right. The extra bass extension of the larger driver speakers won't matter.

Since you have a sub, have you looked into the JBL Studio 530s ? They are supposed to be awesome

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have looked at them... time and time and time again. But they are outside my budget of what I'm looking to spend (for surrounds anyway). I keep seeing that I really ought to get towers for my front mains, then bookshelves for my surrounds, is that not accurate? I know that many people use bookshelf and satellite speakers for their mains, but I keep reading that you'll be missing out on so much of the sound by doing that. It is my understanding from reading numerous threads that the front mains (L&R) carry most of the special effects in a movie, the center channel carries most of the vocals and the surrounds carry only accent and directional sounds. Would the bookshelf speakers perform as well as the tower speakers for full range of sound for the sound effects?

·
Registered
28,739 Posts
Have you had the chance to listen to the JBL ES80 and 90 speakers.

I know Fry's carries the ES-80's. Do you have one close by?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have not, and unfortunately I live in Central Oregon and haven't been able to find one in a show room. I called Best Buy and they said they didn't have any. I would love to demo each separately, but I don't know that I'll have the chance to without making a 3 hour trip to Portland to make it happen. Have you had a chance to hear either or both?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526155/jbl-es80-vs-jbl-es90#post_24576536

I have looked at them... time and time and time again. But they are outside my budget of what I'm looking to spend (for surrounds anyway). I keep seeing that I really ought to get towers for my front mains, then bookshelves for my surrounds, is that not accurate? I know that many people use bookshelf and satellite speakers for their mains, but I keep reading that you'll be missing out on so much of the sound by doing that. It is my understanding from reading numerous threads that the front mains (L&R) carry most of the special effects in a movie, the center channel carries most of the vocals and the surrounds carry only accent and directional sounds. Would the bookshelf speakers perform as well as the tower speakers for full range of sound for the sound effects?

They don't cost anymore than the ES90s, and they could work quite well as mains. See if you can find someone that has heard both the ES90s and the 530s in the JBL owners thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/866797/the-official-jbl-owners-thread

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Probably a very silly question, but those 530's would be way way way too much for rears/surrounds wouldn't they? Surrounds get such little use/info that I would be buy some very expensive boxes to sit in the back of the room.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Surrounds are much less critical than your front soundstage. So sure. You could go with something cheaper

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

As I’m sure you’ve all experienced, I keep modifying my shopping cart because “for just a little bit more, you can get a better speaker”. Before I knew it, my cart was twice the price that I started at. I know that the JBL Studio L series are going to be better than the ES series, but would I be getting a 10-20% better speaker for twice the price? Likewise, I know that L8400P subwoofer is superior to the PL-200, but is it twice as good? I could buy 2 PL-200’s and still have money in my pocket vs one L8400P. I guess what I’m trying to do is figure out the price point. I want to get be best sound per dollar without going bankrupt or losing my wife.

With this being my first HT build, and considering I’m upgrading from a Logitech Z-5500, either system will be a HUGE improvement over the quality and range of sound that I’m getting now. Should I just get the ES and PL-200 for an entry level set and upgrade over time as I see fit, or continue to save and/or sell a couple toys to splurge on the L series? The reason I’m jumping over the studio series is because I can actually get the L-series for less than the Studio 5xx’s on Amazon right now and from what I can gather the L890’s are better than the Studio 5xx speakers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, I guess I don't have permission to supply links...

The surrounds would be the ES30 

The center would be the ES25C 

As an aside, I've found that many people tend to prefer the ES25C over the Studio 520C

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526155/jbl-es80-vs-jbl-es90#post_24578188

Well, I guess I don't have permission to supply links...

The surrounds would be the ES30 

The center would be the ES25C 

As an aside, I've found that many people tend to prefer the ES25C over the Studio 520C

Would the JBL Studio 235C work or is that overkill?

Thx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as overkill... just turn it down ;-) If I were to upgrade I'd probably just skip the 235C and go right to the LC2 for $20.

That said, I have been told that when possible you want to keep your front soundscape the same brand and same line to ensure the tones all match, etc. I was told that when you mix and match, even within the same brand but different lines that often you will find that it sounds worse than sticking with all the low end line. Is that not the case with these JBLs?

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526155/jbl-es80-vs-jbl-es90#post_24578307

I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as overkill... just turn it down ;-) If I were to upgrade I'd probably just skip the 235C and go right to the LC2 for $20.

That said, I have been told that when possible you want to keep your front soundscape the same brand and same line to ensure the tones all match, etc. I was told that when you mix and match, even within the same brand but different lines that often you will find that it sounds worse than sticking with all the low end line. Is that not the case with these JBLs?

I assume the LC2 would match the L890s?

Now to decide between the L890s or the ES90s

Thx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550  /t/1526155/jbl-es80-vs-jbl-es90#post_24578343

I assume the LC2 would match the L890s?

Now to decide between the L890s or the ES90s

Thx
Bad, please don't mistake anything I say as being Gospel, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to wade through this and find what I want to buy and what I ought to buy. It's my understanding that the LC2 is the match for the L890's. That said, there's about a 100% difference in cost between the L-series and the ES series, but I doubt that there is a 100% performance difference, it's likely closer to 10-20% (my assumption based on how most cost curves work), but unfortunately I haven't found any place in Central Oregon that has these out on the floor for me to audition.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526155/jbl-es80-vs-jbl-es90#post_24578357

Bad, please don't mistake anything I say as being Gospel, I'm in the same boat as you, trying to wade through this and find what I want to buy and what I ought to buy. It's my understanding that the LC2 is the match for the L890's. That said, there's about a 100% difference in cost between the L-series and the ES series, but I doubt that there is a 100% performance difference, it's likely closer to 10-20% (my assumption based on how most cost curves work), but unfortunately I haven't found any place in Central Oregon that has these out on the floor for me to audition.

Ty,

Would love to hear also in person, just going on reviews and budget for now. If the performance is only marginal I would lean toward the ES90 at least for now.

Thx

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I don't know how good the L8400P sub is. On the AVS subwoofer forum , the SVS PB-1000 is highly recommended for

1 - 20 of 33 Posts