AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Definitely interesting. I was going to use one of these as a center channel for my M2's but was advised against it by the JBL engineers. Not a timbre match or the refinement of the M2 according to them. It is still tempting to give it a whirl though...

I would guess a front stage of three of them would potentially make a great cinema setup. I'm definitely looking forward to your impressions of them :D.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I'd use some LSR speakers as a poor man's M2, myself. This thing is definitely an SPL monster, but with a 15" woofer it's crossed over too high for home use. There are some polar response issues. Just my opinion of course.
Do you know what the crossover is?

I agree there are other options worth exploring. I'm fairly certain the CD is not nearly the whole story with the M2.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Before I got the 4622's and was looking at all the JBL's, I actually asked specifically about the LSR's. Everyone said, great speakers for nearfield, but won't have the SPL for decent home theater.
They may have somewhat of a point. The LSR305 has a better polar pattern than the 308, but it probably doesn't have the output capabilities for realistic sound pressure levels. The LSR6332 is an excellent, albeit pricey, choice. The new LSR 7 series looks like it could be promising, but so far JBL haven't provided data commensurate with their other pro speakers.

In general the best performing speakers in terms of linearity in the on and off-axis response tend to have tweeters with some form of directivity control and a smallish midrange/woofer. Speakers that deliver truly excellent sound AND have huge output capabilities are a rare breed indeed.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
In general the best performing speakers in terms of linearity in the on and off-axis response tend to have tweeters with some form of directivity control and a smallish midrange/woofer. Speakers that deliver truly excellent sound AND have huge output capabilities are a rare breed indeed.
True. Very rare indeed and they have a small marketplace. IME, and generally speaking, those looking for high output speakers are generally not the most discerning when it comes to SQ and those most discerning about the SQ are generally not concerned about huge output.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts