AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Pittsburgh area and I found a couple sets of these on craigslist. I heard they are nice stuff, the asking price is 175 but I think I could get them to come down some. Now, these are for appartment use so I was wondering if you think they will need a subwoofer to sound full because I don't plan on using a sub, in fact, I can't because my receiver has no outs for it. I looked around but found no published specs for frequency response. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on these for me. I usually listen to music in headphones, so these would be alot of TV/movies/Xbox360/ some music though. Do you think it's unneccesary considering the applications I will be using them for? Thanks ahead of time.

Recevier is onkyo 8511 100 WPC rated, seems decent enough.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I'm assuming your talking about the L36 Decade. I bought a pair of the L36's new in 1977 and I still have them, excellent in every way. I collect all things JBL as a hobby and I own about 2 dozen of their speakers from years past and the Decade is still one of my favorites. It comes extremely close to the (Century) L100 and 4311 Monitors which were also introduced back in the 70's. Both those speakers have legions of fans and are well known for the "Classic" JBL sound...

If they are in good shape I would buy those speakers in a heartbeat if I were you. That is a very good deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha well small world but another guy is selling the exact same speakers in the pittsburgh area, actually much closer to my house. His price seems a little higher but he just re-foamed his and it saves me a car ride+parking+gas so it's actually a bit cheaper on the whole. I only paid 100 for the onky and a decent cd player so this is pretty tempting...

·
Registered
22,352 Posts
These are pretty similar to my L96s. They have a very clean and crisp low end. But if you're used to the more modern "thump" sort of bass, you'll want a sub. For music, they are pretty nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not really into slutty bass so these may work just fine. Not sure if i will have another deal like this in the next month...who knows.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo39 /forum/post/14344990

How about the fullness of the sound though? You don't think I'll need a sub to fill it out?

Your not going to need a sub, trust me. I'll say it one more time if the speakers are in good shape I would move on them, before someone else does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I'm gonna listen to them tomorrow cash in hand. He said he would take 150. Just refoamed the woofer a few days ago too.

·
Registered
22,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo39 /forum/post/14346670

Alright I'm gonna listen to them tomorrow cash in hand. He said he would take 150. Just refoamed the woofer a few days ago too.

Check the woofers for proper alignment, a sloppy re-foam job can screw them up. Gently press in on the cones near the center and walk them through their whole throw. There should be no "scraping sounds". Also make sure the new foam is supple and flexible all around.

Be sure to post back your impressions of these venerable antiques.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok made it back from my adventure. I drove after work on wednesday but I was busy until today. It was craigslist so I was a little concerned but I go to the place and he lived in this apartment above a salon, well not lived there. He let me in and took me to see the speakers in this room just filled with really cool vintage stuff. Polk speakers as tall as I am and these carvers that looked like sails plus dozens of receivers/amps/phonographs/ etc just stacked to the ceiling, on shelves, all over the place I'm sure there were 100+ components. Had some old Kenwood he said pushed 230 watts to 5 channels or something, just insane. Ran my spakers off this really slick carver receiver from '85. I wanted to buy it too haha, but I think my onkyo will be fine.

Started with some Pink Floyd live show then I played some of my own CDs. Just the first track of off arcade fire's funeral, sounded awesome. The way the lead singers voice came across was just so real and dynamic. I have some nice headphones at home, Grado 225s, but the speakers may have been better it just resolved it really realistically. I played some of the strokes too and the way the speakers handle their little guitar solos is great, the highs were really impressive. The bass was how I like it, tight and present but not overwhelming so I won't be gettng that sub. I looked at the drivers and they were all in really good shape considering the age, the re-foam looked like it went well and I pushed a little on the woofer, felt fine, no scraping. He said he re-foamed them personally so I'm sure he knew what he was doing given it was definitely a pretty serious hobby of his. The cabinets were in better shape than I expected, a few marks or knicks but no big gouges or anything and after 35 years I would have expeced worse.

I stayed and talked to the guy a little about some of his stuff then went home. I haven't really go to hook them up to my stuff yet but if they sound near that good it would be a solid purchase.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I knew that you would like them..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I guess so. Not sure if there was a big hurry though, he said all the offers he got were people who wanted them shippped out of state, including a guy in Hawai.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts