AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time I have been looking up speakers and I want to get my first 5.1 Surround set someday. To start things off, I want to get 2 main Tower speakers and build the rest later. I figured for the same amount of space a bookshelf speaker with stand would take, I could just get a Tower speaker and it would sound better although I could be wrong.

The main 3 speakers I was looking at are JBL L890, Infinity P363 and Ascend CMT-340 speakers. Which ones do you think would be the best? If there is another speaker that is better for around the same price, I am open to suggestions. I was looking to spend at most $800 for the 2 main speakers but if there is a better speaker for a bit more I may consider it.

I am looking for the most accurate sound. Music is very important to me but I also plan on playing games from my PC or other consoles and movies.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakome  /t/1524467/jbl-l890-infinity-p363-or-ascend-cmt-340-for-starter-tower-speakers#post_24534681

For a long time I have been looking up speakers and I want to get my first 5.1 Surround set someday. To start things off, I want to get 2 main Tower speakers and build the rest later. I figured for the same amount of space a bookshelf speaker with stand would take, I could just get a Tower speaker and it would sound better although I could be wrong.

The main 3 speakers I was looking at are JBL L890, Infinity P363 and Ascend CMT-340 speakers. Which ones do you think would be the best? If there is another speaker that is better for around the same price, I am open to suggestions. I was looking to spend at most $800 for the 2 main speakers but if there is a better speaker for a bit more I may consider it.

I am looking for the most accurate sound. Music is very important to me but I also plan on playing games from my PC or other consoles and movies.

I'm about to make my first home theater purchase. After several suggestions and stopping at two different places, I believe I've come to a conclusion. I will mostly use the system for TV, movies, and video games.

Look into the Klipsch Reference series.

If you will be using it more for music, you may want to look into Monitor. With your budget, you may be able to pull off the Bronze BX line if you can find the right dealer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Infinity P363 can be had for $214/pair with the Fry's deal. Although, there is a backorder on shipping, unless you live near a Fry's. Of those on your list, the Ascend CMT-340 are your best choice. Also, look at Emptek E55ti, HTD L3, Arx, etc. People will give you different opinions, in the end your money, your choice. I do have a set of the p363 and very good for $214, but since I've been on this forum, it's the thought of wanting better. What is better?

·
Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82  /t/1524467/jbl-l890-infinity-p363-or-ascend-cmt-340-for-starter-tower-speakers#post_24534800

Infinity P363 can be had for $214/pair with the Fry's deal. Although, there is a backorder on shipping, unless you live near a Fry's. Of those on your list, the Ascend CMT-340 are your best choice. Also, look at Emptek E55ti, HTD L3, Arx, etc. People will give you different opinions, in the end your money, your choice. I do have a set of the p363 and very good for $214, but since I've been on this forum, it's the thought of wanting better. What is better?

Better? I haven't listened to any of these yet, but if my wife didn't stop me from upgrading my p363's, then I would be looking into revel f12, philharmonic slim, and ascend towers.

2.0 music performance is very important to me and I prefer towers for my main listening room. Simply no room for multi subs.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the recommendations, a few of these are out of my price range though. I haven't even heard of several of these brands like the MB Quart, Alexxa and Monitor bronze.

I hear mixed things on Polk and Klipsch, they are budget friendly but I have never heard much about their higher end speakers. Are they as good or comparable to other brands? How often do the Infinity P363 go down on price?

Amazon had a deal going on for JBL L890 http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Performance-8-inch-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B000G67Q00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395935377&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+890

Is this actually a good discount or not worth it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts