AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest brother wants to upgrade his Logitech computer speakers. He likes my JBL LSR305's but wants some more bass without requiring a subwoofer just yet. He can get a pair of JBL LSR308's for $500 and a pair of Yamaha HS8's for $503. This will be going into his living room so he has the space. Thoughts folks?

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
If the new LSRs are as good as the old ones, I would go with the JBLs. I have demoed the old LSRs against the Yammahas, I preferred the JBLs.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
I own a full 5.1 of the LSR series and it's super clear, even at low volumes for late night watching.

Check out the owners threads for satisfaction on both. There are lots of people who own the JBLs here at AVS and are very happy with the sound.

I use an ASUS Xonar U7 usb sound card with it and it sounds great. But I also got some baluns (balanced / unbalanced converters) called CleanBox Pro so I can use XLR cables from a long distance. The 1/4 inch direct RCA sounds fine too, but there's a slight hiss. When you run the speakers at -4 db (pro = balanced line level) they sound cleaner to me. But they sound perfectly fine at +10db setting for direct unbalanced mode. I'd start with that and add cleanboxes later on.

I got the 308s and 305s in the rear. A sub is a good buy regardless. Even a super cheap one for now. I got the 310S JBL sub that goes along with the set and that is terrific too. I like having a full set of the same manufacturer. The sub is pretty good because it accepts two line ins for your stereo so you can run the 308s through them and treat them as full range speakers without even using an AVR. It's a great option for 2 channel music.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm familiar with the way the LSR 3 series sounds since I own a pair of LSR305's. They are pretty damn awesome for the money and I'm guessing the LSR 308's sound very similar. I wish I could compare the HS8's to the LSR308's but my local Guitar Center doesn't have them in stock at the moment.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
I've heard both at Guitar Center. My vote goes to the LSR308 by a wide margin. The Yamaha sub kicked booty though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upgrade to LSR308's?

So, my brother is still curious about the LSR308's or 8 inch speakers in general. He can buy the JBL LSR308's for $373 and he paid $245 for the JBL LSR305's. Should he bother "upgrading"? Is it worth the hassle of him unplugging the speakers, putting them back into their boxes and driving down to Guitar Center which I think is about 30 minutes away?

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
It sounds like he won't be happy until he knows for sure what those 8" woofers can do. LSR308s for 373 is a killer deal. I would go for it. If he is really interested in bass, he should add a good subwoofer down the road somewhere as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts