AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can audition the JBL LSR4326P's? After a lot of research, I'm really interested in these speakers.

Also, where can I find measurements of the speakers. I'd like to see a graphical confirmation of the claimed +/- 1.5dB response.

If anyone has heard the speakers, maybe they can comment on the sound, like compare to mainstream speakers that I can hear at Best Buy or something? Is it possible to disable the LED's at the bottom of the speakers?

This may belong in another section of the forum, but just in case, I'll throw this out there for opinions: would I have to buy a professional pre/pro to get the XLR outs or can I use a PC-based solution?

Thanks a lot...

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/Genera...x?PId=27&MId=5

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe Guitar Center has these speakers. The spec sheet is on the JBL web site under spec sheets.

I heard these speakers, they sound thin and lacking in the midrange but they could probably be EQ'ed by adjusting the controls on the front panel. You can defeat the L.E.D.s You may want to take a look at equator model Q8 monitors, true point source speakers too. More money but better sounding. www.equatoraudio.com

Good luck,

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanR100 /forum/post/16973145

I believe Guitar Center has these speakers. The spec sheet is on the JBL web site under spec sheets.

I heard these speakers, they sound thin and lacking in the midrange but they could probably be EQ'ed by adjusting the controls on the front panel. You can defeat the L.E.D.s You may want to take a look at equator model Q8 monitors, true point source speakers too. More money but better sounding. www.equatoraudio.com

Good luck,

Awesome, thank you. Looks like I have a Guitar Center not too far away from me.

I was looking for a 3rd party instrumentation of the speakers to double check JBL. I learned in another thread that apparently a company can publish whatever the heck they want for FR specs. Not saying that would be the case for JBL Pro... but confirmation would be nice. Though with these particular speakers I'm not terribly concerned since they have built in EQ (I just don't know how good the EQ is and how granular it is).

Can you explain what you mean by lacking in the mid-range? A little more detail would be helpful as I'm not an expert.

Good to know that the LED's can be defeated!

I looked at the Equator Q8 and their price is almost 3x of these JBL's and 2x the JBL LSR4328P's. Also, according to this review of the Equator Q8 it doesn't sound like the difference is that huge to justify the huge jump in price. The Equators are also less efficient and can't go as high in SPL (despite the serious power they pack). Due to the price I didn't look any further into these speakers.

The other speakers I was interested in were the Mackie HR624's, so I will be listening to those at Guitar Center as well. One thing that's nice about the JBL's (correct me if I'm wrong), is that due to the built-in EQ I can make them sound however I want.

I'd like to stay at no more than ~$500/speaker.

Thank you

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris /forum/post/16974225

One thing that's nice about the JBL's (correct me if I'm wrong), is that due to the built-in EQ I can make them sound however I want.

Well, after doing some research, it seems that the LSR4300 Control Center Software doesn't really do EQ in a way that I thought. I thought it was an Audyssey style system where I can make adjustments to compensate for my room acoustics.

D'oh, back to the drawing board. I'm still going to go listen to as many speakers as I can @ GC. Thanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went to GC today... guess what's the one speaker they stopped putting on the showroom floor? Yup, you guessed it, the LSR432X.

I listened to Mackie HR624, Yamaha HS80M, ADAM Audio A7, M-Audio BX5a, KRK Rockit 6's, JBL LSR2328P and Dynaudio BM5a.

Out of all of those, I thought the JBL, ADAM and Mackie sounded the best.

I couldn't 'separate the instruments' on the Yamaha... it sounded ok, but too much of a soup (compared to some of hte others). The KRK Rockit (hopefully memory serves me correctly) had a 'wobbly' lower end. It just felt distorted. The Dynaudio's were the sales guys favorite, but I didn't find them as appealing for my ears... I thought the ADAM (which I compared head to head) were WAY better.

This wasn't always A/B level matched listening, so it's just my opinion based on a short period of listening.

So what did I learn from all of this? I actually learned a lot. The most insightful thing about this trip was that with these nicer speakers I was listening more to the music rather than the speaker -- as I was when I was auditioning at Best Buy. Maybe it's my own listening that matured or maybe the speakers were just that good, but I'll have to go back and re-listen to BB/Magnolia stuff to double check.

The other thing that I learned is that these active speakers, for the most part, sounded VERY 'velvety smooth' with female vocals, not at all bland/sterile sounding. Most of them had the characteristic I liked so much in the B&W 685's in this respect (female vocals).

One more insightful thing I learned recently and confirmed by the salesman. Speakers all have coloration and they're all about preference. He said the reason some engineers choose certain speakers isn't always because they're 'the best' but rather because they know the speaker intimately, including their strengths/weaknesses and mix accordingly.

Since most people don't really care, I'm just documenting this stuff for myself
However if you've read, congratulations, you have yet another [useless] personal opinion on speakers

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Really? 118 dB is not loud enough?

(That's not really a question. It's more a statement.)

·
Registered
553 Posts
You dont use a pair of speakers for ht you use 5 plus a sub. At around 118db for a pair of these (if true) would put them ahead of almost every other speaker made in this size and price range. Unless you have a massive ht room and you like to listen to movies at a level that will damage your hearing you dont need speakers that can sail into the 120db+ range. When I listen to movies at 90-95db with 105-110db peaks at my seat using 5 speakers and a sub it is very loud and very powerful, much louder than that and it becomes painful.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager /forum/post/16982015

I asked (here) about those JBL's a while back when I was looking to upgrade. With a max SPL (pair) of 118 dB, they just would'nt be dynamic enough for HT use; was the consensus.

do you have a link? 118dB is fine if you are not 25 feet back !

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 /forum/post/16987555

You dont use a pair of speakers for ht you use 5 plus a sub. At around 118db for a pair of these (if true) would put them ahead of almost every other speaker made in this size and price range. Unless you have a massive ht room and you like to listen to movies at a level that will damage your hearing you dont need speakers that can sail into the 120db+ range. When I listen to movies at 90-95db with 105-110db peaks at my seat using 5 speakers and a sub it is very loud and very powerful, much louder than that and it becomes painful.

what is your listening distance. 110dB peaks at your seats means you have 122dB speakers actually if you are 12 feet back

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes penn I know my seat upstairs is about 13' back but I dont think that each of my speakers has to put out 122db to have them hit a 110db peak together do I?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 /forum/post/16987610

Yes penn I know my seat upstairs is about 13' back but I dont think that each of my speakers has to put out 122db to have them hit a 110db peak together do I?

To be exact you would have to find out the gain from adding two mains. I would ignore surrounds and CC since the dynamic levels come from the sub and the Left/Right channels.

If two speakers are side by side the gain is 6dB, if they are separated by a certain distance the gain drops. You also have room gain and corner/wall gain if your speakers are near the wall.

So to hit 110dB peaks @ the listening position does not mean the speakers need to 122dB...you are right to correct me. Your speakers maybe need to be 112 to 115dB (upto 10dB for room/multiple speaker gain).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor /forum/post/16989113

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...wered+monitors

This is a pretty good discussion on powered monitors. Inlcuding the LSR 4326 speakers.

That discussion is actually what lead me down this path. There are definitely pro's and con's with going with monitors.

BTW, listening to movies at 90-95dB with 105-110dB peaks sounds awfully loud! Last time I was playing with my SPL meter, I believe I got to the high 80's before it was more pain than pleasure. I mean the volume was really overpowering the room and it wasn't fun to be there. I can understand high peaks... but... sustained 90dB+ is insanely loud! Is it just me??

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
What are you comparing the powered monitors against? Maybe GC will be good enough to have you return them if you don't like the sound from them versus your other speakers?

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris /forum/post/16989806

That discussion is actually what lead me down this path. There are definitely pro's and con's with going with monitors.

BTW, listening to movies at 90-95dB with 105-110dB peaks sounds awfully loud! Last time I was playing with my SPL meter, I believe I got to the high 80's before it was more pain than pleasure. I mean the volume was really overpowering the room and it wasn't fun to be there. I can understand high peaks... but... sustained 90dB+ is insanely loud! Is it just me??

Yes, you are correct it is very loud and any higher starts to induce pain I think is what I said. I dont turn it up that much unless I'm trying to impress someone.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Still trying to figure out a good reason to buy 130db+ speakers but havent found one yet.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16987563

do you have a link? 118dB is fine if you are not 25 feet back !

Penn-it's in the spec sheet on the JBL page: http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...pe=3&docid=858

Measured Maximum Continuous SPL : 106 dB / 1m

Measured Maximum Peak SPL: 112 dB / 1m

Maximum Peak SPL Per Pair: 118 dB SPL / 1m

Remeber that 118dB is at 1 meter. Like Penn said, at the listening position, during very high demand peaks, you will need more output capability. 115dB during crash scenes is very real. With power compression issues and other considerations, it will take a speaker capable of 120+ to achieve these dynamics (at the LP).

If the high SPL capability isn't important, why are so many of us choosing Pro speakers or the likes of Seaton and JTR (or like Penn, and building there own)?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.