AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5290 Posts

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
16,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 NAMM 2013 has just begun , and JBL is ready with a very exciting new speaker - the M2 'Master Reference Monitor'. JBL says the new speaker features a 'revolutionary' waveguide dubbed 'Image Control' that provides neutral off-axis frequency response and a 800 Hz crossover frequency when used with their new 'D2' compression driver. Each monitor is powered by 1,000 watts of Crown I-Tech power. This is a large, powerful speaker - in fact it is JBL's largest studio monitor. JBL is touting a SPL of 123db at one meter and an in-room frequency response of 20hz-40Khz, impressive figures by any standard. Is this speaker the new reference? Is this impressive speaker going to become the new 'must have' LCR for home theater buffs not constrained by budget? I know I want a pair.

edit - JBL has updated their website with a lot of info , everything but a MSRP. Look at this frequency response chart:

Quote:
To allow an imperceptible transition between the two drivers, and deliver exceptional imaging, JBL Engineers pioneered a new patent-pending waveguide dubbed “Image Control” that enables neutral frequency response, not just on-axis, but off-axis in the vertical and horizontal planes all the way down to the M2’s 800 Hz crossover point. The unique geometry of the waveguide allows the M2 to deliver remarkable high-frequency detail and imaging and natural timbre at any listening position, in a broad range of acoustic environments.
http://harmanprogroup.blogspot.com/2013/01/harmans-jbl-professional-introduces-m2.html

·
Premium Member
23,886 Posts
Not sure what's new here; CD (constant directivity) waveguides have been around awhile, including from JBL.

Maybe it's the evolution of the WG, which looks different, with improvement of directivity control at the freq extremes.

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
16,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I read JBL's press release correctly, what's new with the waveguide is the design features both constant directivity and flat EQ, whereas normally CD horns have a steep roll-off starting around 3Khz that needs to be compensated for (I know, I use CD horns). If they are using a coaxial driver and a hybrid waveguide to pull off that trick, bravo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22875169

Not sure what's new here; CD (constant directivity) waveguides have been around awhile, including from JBL.

Maybe it's the evolution of the WG, which looks different, with improvement of directivity control at the freq extremes.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Any ideas on an msrp?

·
Editor
16,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Looks interesting!

·
3D Audio Consultant
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22876786

If I read JBL's press release correctly, what's new with the waveguide is the design features both constant directivity and flat EQ, whereas normally CD horns have a steep roll-off starting around 3Khz that needs to be compensated for (I know, I use CD horns). If they are using a coaxial driver and a hybrid waveguide to pull off that trick, bravo.
There is nothing in the JBL info that suggests that the horn noes not exhibit the typical CD horn roll-off, so that remains an open question. What appears to be key to this product is the horn shape, use of the "D2 Compression Driver which uses two annular diaphragms," and integrated electronics. I'd love to mate this to our active crossovers and correction- that would be very interesting!

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Yeah... What is the MSRP on these babies?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
lets guess ... 10k?

·
Editor
16,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JBL calls for each speaker to be powered by a Crown iTech 5000HD - so that's $6,000 per speaker for amplification alone.

The JBL S4700 has the identical woofer - JBL 2216Nd and a similar cabinet. The price of the s4700 is $20,000/pair, so it would not be surprising if these cost the same or perhaps a bit more per unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22879291

lets guess ... 10k?

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22879423

JBL calls for each speaker to be powered by a Crown iTech 5000HD - so that's $6.000 per speaker for amplification alone.

The JBL S4700 has the identical woofer - JBL 2216Nd and a similar cabinet. The price of the s4700 is $20,000/pair, so it would not be surprising if these cost the same or perhaps a bit more per unit.

Suddenly the thread...went...curiously.......quiet.....

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

That's nonsense for a Crown amp.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Looks like an incredible speaker!! I'll take 3. I'm a huge fan of JBL, mostly the Pro Cinema stuff, and along with the 1K of Crown power is pretty much all the speaker I would ever need.

·
Editor
16,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not quite as expensive as I expected. Now the question is which bargain DSP amp can be programmed to run them almost as well as an iTech (sorry Crown) - perhaps an XTi-4002 or 6002?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22910550

$6K MSRP each for the speaker itself, available in March:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15853

·
Editor
16,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not so expensive in the world of high-end monitors
. I'm sure it'll have a 'street price', and I'm also sure someone will pick up a 3-pack and put 'em behind an AT screen. JBL OEM parts cost plenty, these are their top drivers. Even a DIY clone would cost quite a bit to put together. Each speaker is spec'd for one Crown i-Tech amp, using the built-in electronic crossovers. I figure one could program an XTi-6002 with the same parameters and get good results - pure speculation. Of course that's not the only approach - you can run them with any number of amps and DSP crossover solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg43x  /t/1454077/jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor#post_22915164

why DSP amp to run them?

6k a piece...well, who'll buy it anyway?

1 - 20 of 5290 Posts