AVS Forum banner

4761 - 4780 of 5518 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well, I have had the M2s up and running for a few days now. Here are some impressions:

Pros:

They truly sound glorious. So clear, precise and effortless. I watched Godzilla and Alita Battle Angle and both movies sounded glorious in the new room. I also watched quite a bit of Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds blu ray concert as the recording quality is top notch and this sounded SSOOOOOO good.

Cons:

These were not that easy to set-up for me. Certainly not the plug and play I am use to but nothing crazy difficult either. Totally worth it but here are some obstacles I ran into.

*8/600 DCI N amp is 20 amp socket with a different pin configuration so I had to buy converter to 15 amp (traditional grounded outlet pin configuration)

*Had to buy cheapy PC Laptop since my family is all apple laptops and you can't use the Harman software with apple products.

*Setting up the configuration in Audio Architect took me a few tries to make sure it recognized the amp on the network and to make sure I set-up the LF and HF plus bridged the amps correctly (once you do it the first time its easy after that but this is not Apple software experience where its so intuitive, the process is from 1972).

*I was getting some buzzing from the speakers and thought it might be a ground issue and I used a cheater plug to rule out it wasn't a grounding issue. Ended up having to play with the attenuators on the back of the amp to get the buzz to go away.
Thanks for the review!

What room correction are you using for the speakers?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
*8/600 DCI N amp is 20 amp socket with a different pin configuration so I had to buy converter to 15 amp (traditional grounded outlet pin configuration)

*Had to buy cheapy PC Laptop since my family is all apple laptops and you can't use the Harman software with apple products.
FYI power cords with the correct socket and a 15A plug are available. My ATI AT2007 came with one.

It is annoying that AA does not run on modern computers. That said, a cheapy generic (or Parallels) is a nominal cost increase, except...

*Setting up the configuration in Audio Architect took me a few tries to make sure it recognized the amp on the network and to make sure I set-up the LF and HF plus bridged the amps correctly (once you do it the first time its easy after that but this is not Apple software experience where its so intuitive, the process is from 1972).
Netsetter feels especially archaic to use...

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Well, I have had the M2s up and running for a few days now. Here are some impressions:

Pros:
They truly sound glorious. So clear, precise and effortless. I watched Godzilla and Alita Battle Angle and both movies sounded glorious in the new room. I also watched quite a bit of Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds blu ray concert as the recording quality is top notch and this sounded SSOOOOOO good.

Cons:
These were not that easy to set-up for me. Certainly not the plug and play I am use to but nothing crazy difficult either. Totally worth it but here are some obstacles I ran into.
*I was getting some buzzing from the speakers and thought it might be a ground issue and I used a cheater plug to rule out it wasn't a grounding issue. Ended up having to play with the attenuators on the back of the amp to get the buzz to go away.
Thanks for the review! That just might be the most comprehensive hands on review of the M2 I've ever seen. Seriously :)

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Also, @Frohlich how do the M2's compare to the 4722's? Just general impression. Time, bias, different room, etc. etc. make this nothing more than anecdotal of course. Just curious your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Thanks for the review!

What room correction are you using for the speakers?

I use XT32 in the Marantz 8802A. I do run them with L/R bypass mode so it basically leaves the left and right channel untouched. The main benefit for me is to let Audyssey fix any subwoofer response issues.

Also, @Frohlich how do the M2's compare to the 4722's? Just general impression. Time, bias, different room, etc. etc. make this nothing more than anecdotal of course. Just curious your thoughts.
As you know from past interactions on the JBL 4722 thread, I loved those speakers. I stand by that they are the "best bang for the buck" HT speakers I have ever heard or owned. They do eat up a lot of space and really require a dedicated room with an AT screen. I would recommend them for anybody on a normal budget that wants to truly get into a dedicated HT room.

The M2s have a quality that is hard to describe. It feels so cliche to say this, but is like a veil was lifted and I can see into the recording in a way the 4722 (and a lot of speakers) just can't do. When I watched Godzilla over the weekend with my brother in law, it was the best my system has ever sounded. Everything was just so natural and effortless and every detail could be heard...every voice through the center channel was crystal clear...I was just in awe how it could get this much better than my previous system at my old house...but it did.

Footnote: I would be remiss if I didn't fully disclose my previous room with the 4722's was a wide open basement space on a cement slab. This new room in the new house is a sealed 18 x 14 room with suspended wood floors above a garage. The room is tapered and so has less right angles so I am likely getting way less boom in my bass because of the room's physical properties. In other words, the new room is part of what I am hearing and is just a better acoustic space.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I use XT32 in the Marantz 8802A. I do run them with L/R bypass mode so it basically leaves the left and right channel untouched. The main benefit for me is to let Audyssey fix any subwoofer response issues.

As you know from past interactions on the JBL 4722 thread, I loved those speakers. I stand by that they are the "best bang for the buck" HT speakers I have ever heard or owned. They do eat up a lot of space and really require a dedicated room with an AT screen. I would recommend them for anybody on a normal budget that wants to truly get into a dedicated HT room.

The M2s have a quality that is hard to describe. It feels so cliche to say this, but is like a veil was lifted and I can see into the recording in a way the 4722 (and a lot of speakers) just can't do. When I watched Godzilla over the weekend with my brother in law, it was the best my system has ever sounded. Everything was just so natural and effortless and every detail could be heard...every voice through the center channel was crystal clear...I was just in awe how it could get this much better than my previous system at my old house...but it did.

Footnote: I would be remiss if I didn't fully disclose my previous room with the 4722's was a wide open basement space on a cement slab. This new room in the new house is a sealed 18 x 14 room with suspended wood floors above a garage. The room is tapered and so has less right angles so I am likely getting way less boom in my bass because of the room's physical properties. In other words, the new room is part of what I am hearing and is just a better acoustic space.

Congrats looks good!

My setup should be up and running end of next week! *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
The M2s have a quality that is hard to describe. It feels so cliche to say this, but is like a veil was lifted and I can see into the recording in a way the 4722 (and a lot of speakers) just can't do.
Yeah, as you say, hard to describe. But looking into the recording is the same way I would describe it too.

I've no doubt the 4722 is a great speaker.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Good stuff. :)

How many subwoofers do you have? I can see two in the pic you posted.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts

Pros:

Cons:
Congratulations on your perseverance! The end result is truly with it.

We've been debating building a separate space just for the HT. The current room in the house just isn't quite big enough for three M2s and four 18" subs, and we don't want to start tearing down walls, etc., that will affect resale value somewhere down the road. Likely the better idea is to erect a separate building that can be converted back to an ag building or garage when we're done. The design of your room has me thinking an erected steel building (like an old-time quonset hut) might work if we build a separate building within the building. I could do a little ceiling taper if needed.

Anyway, well done on your part! We're all Apple users here, and the need for us to buy a cheap laptop and cope with some decades-old software was a good reminder to me that all-in-all we're pretty fortunate to have such great tools available to us everyday.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Good stuff. :)

How many subwoofers do you have? I can see two in the pic you posted.
I have two Deep Sea Sound 18s and they can load that room with clean bass no problem. I had dual JTR S2s in the last theater, which was an open space, and these produce more power and bass than those just because the room is sealed and smaller. Not to mention I am running the M2s as full range.

For anybody interested, there are more pictures and details on my thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-w...h-s-new-theater-opa-s-alley.html#post58509344

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hello

Could anyone please let me know how to install the M2 tunning files to my Crown DCI Network 800/6 amp ?

Also the last two channel will be used for my side surrounds which are 708i's.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate it guys

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm transitioning from 5.1 HT to 2.1 with music being the focus. That said I'd still like to use the speakers for tv/movies. It seems like most M2 users on this thread are focused on HT. Are there any users with a similar thesis to mine? Can you speak to the quality of the speaker for primarily music?[/QUOTE said:
I use my M2s only for stereo via a BSS processor. The other day I listened to my friend's M2s that just had the SDP75 installed and calibrated in his 9.4 surround room. I was stunned.

The Trinnov processor coupled with it's DRC made the already nice speakers sound heavenly. His previous preamp for these was a Mark Levinson 52 preamp. The top end was shimmering and smooth no matter how loud I played it. I was listening to his system only in stereo.

My friend and I are old stereo fanatics, and the idea of using a surround-sound processor as a stereo preamp is foreign to us. That obstacle was quickly disregarded after hearing the speakers with it. Going home to my own M2s was a bit of a let-down.

I'm now saving to get the SDP75. In the future, I can always expand into surround formats.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I use my M2s only for stereo via a BSS processor. The other day I listened to my friend's M2s that just had the SDP75 installed and calibrated in his 9.4 surround room. I was stunned.

The Trinnov processor coupled with it's DRC made the already nice speakers sound heavenly. His previous preamp for these was a Mark Levinson 52 preamp. The top end was shimmering and smooth no matter how loud I played it. I was listening to his system only in stereo.

My friend and I are old stereo fanatics, and the idea of using a surround-sound processor as a stereo preamp is foreign to us. That obstacle was quickly disregarded after hearing the speakers with it. Going home to my own M2s was a bit of a let-down.

I'm now saving to get the SDP75. In the future, I can always expand into surround formats.
I would put Lyngdorf and Lexicon on your list to evaluate. Room Perfect and Dirac Live are no slouch. I think you are hearing the corrected impulse response from the room correction software that is not available in your current system. I haven't heard the Trinnov but it always gets rave reviews. I had ordered one but backed out because it was just too much coin for my use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am sure that you are right. As a matter of fact, the system sounded horrid before the DRC was accomplished in the room.

I think perhaps more of these processors that employ effective DRC, Streamers and preamplification will appear in the coming years.

Thank you for the suggestions.

·
844 Posts
I am sure that you are right. As a matter of fact, the system sounded horrid before the DRC was accomplished in the room.

I think perhaps more of these processors that employ effective DRC, Streamers and preamplification will appear in the coming years.

For perspective it is worth remembering that about 30% of the factors influencing our judgement of sound quality relate to bass performance - and this is dominated by the room, only correctable in-situ. So, ANY loudspeaker can sound better after room EQ, so long as it competently addresses the bass frequencies - this is not a guarantee, but really is not difficult for at least the prime listener.

Above the transition frequency the M2 is sufficiently good that it should not require anything beyond broadband spectral tilts to fit with preferred program material.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello

Could anyone please let me know how to install the M2 tunning files to my Crown DCI Network 800/6 amp ?

Also the last two channel will be used for my side surrounds which are 708i's.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate it guys

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
You need to connect the amp to a PC or laptop with Ethernet cable and load Audio Architect software which you connect to the amplifier and you can then load the tuning files. There are instructions in the amp manual but easier to follow the attached instructions which are contained in the tuning files Zip file found on JBL Pro website. https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series/708i The audio architect software and tuning files (for both M2 and 708i) are both there. Note that the Zip file on the website contains V1.0 tuning files but when you connect the software to the amp V1.1 should be available. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

You have the ability to have a JBL engineer run ARCOS on your SDEC unit (or a pro calibrator to manually do room correction if you are using a BSS).

IMO that would provide all the correction you need.

My correction is done only below 350hz and then a shelf filter above to provide more roll-off than the natural response. That suits high spl movies better in my room.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You need to connect the amp to a PC or laptop with Ethernet cable and load Audio Architect software which you connect to the amplifier and you can then load the tuning files. There are instructions in the amp manual but easier to follow the attached instructions which are contained in the tuning files Zip file found on JBL Pro website. https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/7-series/708i The audio architect software and tuning files (for both M2 and 708i) are both there. Note that the Zip file on the website contains V1.0 tuning files but when you connect the software to the amp V1.1 should be available. Hope this helps.
Thanks Scott yes i know that i need to connect the amp to a laptop/pc with ethernet going to try it out tonight and follow the instructions, funny thing i just found the instructions on my PC that i downloaded more than a month ago, i guess i am just scared that this is going to be hard and just want to do it right from the first time.

Will see how it goes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have the ability to have a JBL engineer run ARCOS on your SDEC unit (or a pro calibrator to manually do room correction if you are using a BSS).

Thank you. Yes, I have already sent my JBL calibrator a text requesting a visit once he returns from CEDIA. Luckily for me, his parents live nearby and I can have my simple system done quickly and more affordably on one of his visits to his folks.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
So I was playing around with the M2s tonight since I have only had them for a couple of weeks. Just for fun I turned off both of my subs and ran them full range (well, with the 27hz filter in the tunning files). I was shocked at how much bass they were producing. Way more than my old JBL 4722 which have dual 15 inch drivers (but aren't designed to run full range..they drop off a ton below 40HZ). It literally sounded and felt like my subs were on but I checked the cone movement on both subs and neither was moving so it was just the M2s running.

4761 - 4780 of 5518 Posts