AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive posted in the klipsch forum before, but i figured they would be a little bias haha

so im looking for a mid-sized system, which will primarily be music. although i will certainly use it for home theater as well, my apartments layout isnt very surround-placement-friendly, so it will most likely be a 3.1 setup. so ive looked around, heard what i could, and i think ive finally got it down to two choices (kind of)

Klipsch RF-52 or JBL ES80? if you look at the specs, they are very similar. also, there is a slight chance ill be getting the larger models (RF-62 of ES90). the main issue now is that i cant find anywhere to hear the JBLs.

NOTE: im about 90% my new receiver will be a Denon AVR-689, and the speakers will be biamped (160W per speaker total)

so.... any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Klipsch is well known to have a bright side to them. I was able to listen to the RB-51s for around 10 minutes and I felt like I was getting ear fatigue due to the brightness of their sound.

Have you heard the Klipsch for a period of time and actually liked them?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile /forum/post/15560611

Klipsch RF-52 or JBL ES80? if you look at the specs, they are very similar.

You're comparing a JBL model that I'm willing to live with to the only speaker brand that I can't withstand listening for more than 10 mins. Just get the JBL, in the low end realm they seem to be the most balanced top to bottom. Good for music and HT.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advise everyone.

come to think of it, i HAVENT heard them for a long time. theres a Klipsch dealer near me (Tampa). ive heard the RF-52's twice, once with their stuff, and the 2nd time i brought in my own music, but it was only for 10min or so. i have also heard the Klipsch in a theater setup, and i was VERY impressed with that.

although this will not be a deciding factor, i do already own the RC-52. but i would have no problems selling that and picking up the JBL center (ES25C)

right now, as stated before, my biggest fear is not being able to hear the JBLs first? does any place carry them. could i just hop into best buy just to at least hear them?

also on a side note, does the AVR-689 seem like it would be a good receiver to match? i dont want to have to re-upgrade anytime soon, so i want a few HDMI inputs, bi-amping, and 7.1 surround. and a supplier for my company carries denon products, so i can actually get it at a discount (about 300 i think), which is always nice

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile /forum/post/15561344

come to think of it, i HAVENT heard them for a long time. theres a Klipsch dealer near me (Tampa). ive heard the RF-52's twice, once with their stuff, and the 2nd time i brought in my own music

I would suggest you hear them out again, bringing material that you are familiar with, bring both movies and music and give them a listen for maybe like 10-20 minutes. If your eyes don't feel fatigued or strained by then, I guess you'll be fine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have two comments if you decide to go the JBL route:

1.) Budget JBL subs leave a lot to be desired. The 8400 is really JBL's first current production offering worth considering. You can get good sub recommendations in the sub forum, both internet direct and buy at the shop brands.

2.) With the center channel being so critical to a HT setup, I'd strongly recommend you consider pairing the ES towers with a EC35 or P35 true 3-way center channel instead. The ES25 is basically a EC25 2-way center channel with the UHF driver added. I've spent some time with the EC25 and it is not a very strong center channel, you would be better off running 2.1. The EC35 (and PC35, which I'm assuming is the current production equivalent) is what I'm using at the moment and it is far superior in vocal clarity. All of them are voice matched. EC35's are fairly plentiful and can be had for nice prices used. It is a very nice center given it's relatively low profile.

3.) Finally, I think Denon receivers are great but they refresh their models frequently. You ought to be able to find a last year AVR-888 very close to the AVR-689 budget you noted. The main weakness with the 888 is only 2 HDMI ins but the benefits are quite significant. You may want to consider it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey thanks!

first off, about the receiver, two HDMI inputs is fine. the newest videogame system i play is sega dreamcast (hahaha!), and i dont have any HDMI stuff as of right now. if i just have one for a (future) bluray and a (future) HD tv service, thatll be fine right? and i know their old catalog have the 888. maybe i could get it cheaper on backstock or something

ill have to look into that center channel *sigh* i just need to find a place where i can hear the ES series

1 - 7 of 7 Posts