AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

well, to make long story short, my younger brother is willing to build up his 1st HT room, so he came to me for some advice.

I've been a long time a JBL guy and my current setup is a 7.1 system, comprising:

Northridge E-50's for L/R mains, an EC-35 for C & 4 E-30's for S/SB.

My woofer is an SVS PB-10 ISD. The power comes from a Denon 3806 AVR.

Furthermore, I'm pretty happy with my current setup.

Well, my bro just fell in love with my setup and he doesn't want to spend a lot for now. I was willing to suggest him to get the SVS SBS-01 package, but now I'm cosidering the possibility to perhaps get the SVS speakers myself (a 7.0 setup) and sell him my JBL 7.0 setup, which is basically brand new.

That could be indeed a good deal for both sides, though.

Considering the rave reviews on the SVS package, my questions is:

does any of you guys have had the chance to perform an A/B test with the above speakers?

In short, what's the overall consensus? Have read some people saying the SVS would just trounce the JBL's, which I take it with a grain of salt... Is that true??

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Cheers / Avliner.

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
I've never heard either, but you are comparing two very different kinds of speakers: satellites vs large three-way bookshelves. If you like the big sound that the JBL produces, you very well may be disappointed in the SVS.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anyone else willing to chime in on this?

Cheers / Avliner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I can't speak directly to your specific JBL's..I'm in radio, and grew up on Studio Monitors..always have had to have them in my home When we upgraded to HT a few months ago, the installers I worked with tried to talk me out of the JBL's...but after the install, they thought they were great. Bottom line; speaker preference is really subjective, especially for the picky. Kinda like art. Pawn off the old stuff on your bro and get new toys
Good luck

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks,

yeah, most definitely, speakers choice are pretty much subjective, though.

I might be a bit biased, but I also don't think the SVS would outperform my JBL's.

If anyone else would like to chime in, please fire away!

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

So we have a bunch of JBL owners with no experience with SVS?

That's useless advice...

Me, I don't like JBL very much.

Your input isn't worth much either if its sole purpose is to mock the other posters. A constructive opinion would have been nice.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Here is a reasonably balanced review on the SVS system.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre.../SVSSB01p1.php

It is close to my own experience with the SVS: pretty good for multichannel home theater, not so good for music, fantastic bass.

Here's a review of the Northridge E Series, including your E50s.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-11-2004.html

Again, it's pretty representative of the line: great home theater, great rock'n'roll, decent bass (not on par with SVS), and easy to listen to.

The systems will sound different. Only listening will tell you which one you prefer.

The SVS system is less expensive, so maybe that's a plus on a budget, but I would characterize it as a step down. Since you have an SVS sub, you've already made the best move to improve the Northridge Es, and gotten the core strength of SVS.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Filecat,

thanks for the nice info. I didn't know about that JBL review...

Yeah, that's what I think; it would be a step down and basically I'm done with my current setup + the SVS SW (that was really a huge improvement, if compared to my previous JBL SW).

One thing I've learned, though: NO MORE JBL SW's...

Anyway, my bro can have the SBS-01 and he'll be fine, I'm sure.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Anyone telling you that an SVS satellite will trounce what you got certainly has not heard a properly setup E 50 system. I have heard both and while I don't think the Northridge series is JBL's best effort, for the money they are still good speakers and will easily take care of those small satelites. At least in my book.

I would not do this......

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce /forum/post/0

keep the jbls definitely.. jbls are not very good at all for music but they definitely do a decent job at home theater, and i really doubt the svs can do any better than the jbl with music or movies.

I think that depends on the type of music. Hard Rock, hip hop, techno they sound fine. Jazz and classical, not so much.

I will say though going with an SVS sub over the JBL E-series subs is a huge difference. I had the E250P for about 2 weeks and it stunk. My SVS 20-39 PCi blows it away

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner /forum/post/0

F(snip)

One thing I've learned, though: NO MORE JBL SW's...

(snip)

Cheers.

Well, yes and no. I would avoid the Venue, Northridge, and HTIB subs for certain.

I've got some of these ($1800)

http://jbl.com/home/products/product...at=SUB&ser=PER

and some of these ($1900)

http://jbl.com/home/products/product...at=SUB&ser=HTE

and they'll spank many a noteworthy sub, including comparable SVS, Velodyne, and Hsu models, all of which are very fine subwoofers.

The SVS PB Ultra/2 is a bitchin' sub at $2200, though, and probably competes well with these, but the $3000 Velodyne DD-12 would top them all, I think. But, who's going to spend $3k on a 12" sub?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, you're right...

I meant exactly what you said, but didn't put into words; sorry for that.

Their top of the line series plays in a different league though, but they're bloody expensive ones. In other hand, ID companies such as SVS & HSU (among others), are selling more & more, because they also offer top quality woofers at pretty attractive prices.

Once again you're right: who's gonna drop that kind of coin on a SW??

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:

So we have a bunch of JBL owners with no experience with SVS?

That's useless advice...

Me, I don't like JBL very much.

'

Obviously, you've never heard many JBL systems. I suspect only the cheapest lines at BB.

You should get out more and experience the Studio L series, Performance Series, Project Array series, K2, Everest. Those series run from $1200/pr to $60K/pr.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/0

'

Obviously, you've never heard many JBL systems. I suspect only the cheapest lines at BB.

You should get out more and experience the Studio L series, Performance Series, Project Array series, K2, Everest. Those series run from $1200/pr to $60K/pr.

You would be mistaken. Nice try though.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts

Quote:

You would be mistaken. Nice try though.

I don't see you stating which ones you've heard. So until then I take what you say with a large grain of salt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.