AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to start with a thread here in the DIY section as most JBL folks hang out here and after it has run it’s course I might start a new one in the speaker section.

So this summer I am finally going to finishup my theatre. I’m thinking about changing over my current system to an all JBL one. I was thinking 3 x JBL 4722 LCR (bi-amped), 4 JBL 9320’s for surrounds, 4 SCS8’s for Dolby Atmos/DTS :X (pending DTS:X announcement regarding speaker layout). I’m thinking DSi 1000’s to power the system.

The Room is DIY DE design - 18x28x9. Screen is AT 16x9 12’ wide. It will have the Quest treatment. Subs will be 2 x mal-X and/or 2 FTW-21’s. I’m thinking boundary subs x 3 SDX12 as I’m in Canada and they look to play nice in a small box, located in columns with the 9320’s

Any feedback/discussion?

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
I think you'll have a potent set up. I do think you might need a little more LFE to keep up with your front stage. You didn't state what kind of enclosures for subs. Also, are the three 12s gonna be nearfield?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sealed for the subs. 1 EP2500 per Mal-x right now. 21's will be sealed as well. 3 12's will be in the back 3 columns so I think that is nearfield but I'm not sure if that meets the criteria.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Ah, don't know how I missed the Mal X. Sounds capable all around just make sure you have adequate juice for the 21s.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
with subs placed at 1/4 distances to walls and floor/ceiling behind the screen most room modes will be eliminated or not excited except those coming from the back wall. limp mass or very thick velocity absorber there. then the seating doesn't have to be in the 'mode free' zones, but can be wherever you like it best relative to the screen.
with controlled directivity speakers, much less reflection treatment is necessary because the horns are sending the sound to where it should be, of course.
angle the L and R speakers in to cross right around the front-center seat and imaging sounds should be great to the left-right as well as in the back row.
crowson or other tactile transducers seem to be pretty popular among those who have used them, giving a much more realistic tactile experience than traditional bass shakers.
the 4722 horn is designed to fire a bit downward so mounting them a little above ear level probably gives best results.
you could probably get away with running the passive version of those speakers off an avr given their sensitivity, but I'm not going to dissuade the active approach if the extra coin is there. :)
hope that helps/gives you some things to consider and/or look into.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys.

As for power for the ftw21's I was debating the Lab clone, however I fear if something goes wrong I will be up chocolate creek without a paddle as I can't solder to save my life. Other options I'm thinking would be a couple of inukes or a peavey cc 5500 which seems to have gotten some love around here as of late.

LTD02, Thanks for all the great tips. I have 2 buttkickers, a buttkicker amp and a modified subharmonic synthesizer to be used for tactile feedback. Any idea of these are as good as the crowsons? I have been thinking about the crowsons based on recently review.

Current plan is to order all the speakers first so I have them on hand when finishing the theatre (column size for 9320's etc.) and get the 4722n to use initially. The crossover is easily bypassed later. I will either power the system with my current setup (umc-200 + LPA-1) until I get a new pre (marantz looks like it has some nice ones with xlr's on it) or a new AVR with DTS:X and Atmos. After the build is done, I should have enough $ left over to pick up the DSi amps.

I'm open to ported subs at the front, however I'm not sure I would have enough room behind the screen or in the columns to port the sdx12s.

·
Bass Enabler
21,657 Posts
This system sounds like it will be awesome! :)

Oh btw, DTS:X will have an initial speaker layout just like Dolby Atmos. Think 7.1.4 as the standard for the next year with some hardware maybe doing 9.1.4 this year or next. I'm hoping for 7.1.6 capability soon!

For anyone interested in future-proofing for immersive audio.... prepare for 9.1.6 audio and you'll cover your bases.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is 9.6 with front heights? I could pre-wire for that and then put some JBL SCS12's up front! I would have gone with SCS 12's but I think they would hang to low with 9' ceiling.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Might as well just wire for 24.12.12 I think. Better safe than sorry. I think the next version of Atmos is going to support in floor speakers, voice of God channel, and an additional pair in the bathroom for ambient effect. And let's face reality the .12 is because everyone needs 12 subwoofers.

·
Bass Enabler
21,657 Posts
Is 9.6 with front heights? I could pre-wire for that and then put some JBL SCS12's up front! I would have gone with SCS 12's but I think they would hang to low with 9' ceiling.
Front, middle and rear heights.

Might as well just wire for 24.12.12 I think. Better safe than sorry. I think the next version of Atmos is going to support in floor speakers, voice of God channel, and an additional pair in the bathroom for ambient effect. And let's face reality the .12 is because everyone needs 12 subwoofers.
Cute.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott,

Sorry I meant the extra two speakers in the 9 of the 9.1.6. Would that be front wides then?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was thinking 3 x JBL 4722 LCR (bi-amped), 4 JBL 9320’s for surrounds, 4 SCS8’s for Dolby Atmos/DTS :X (pending DTS:X announcement regarding speaker layout).
Any feedback/discussion?
Most of the Atmos set-ups I have seen with JBL on www are using all SCS8/12 for both surround and height.

Example pro space in Poland:
http://info.harmanpro.com/PressRelease.aspx?fId=1273

·
Bass Enabler
21,657 Posts
Scott,

Sorry I meant the extra two speakers in the 9 of the 9.1.6. Would that be front wides then?
Yeah, it would be front wides. Probably the very least important speaker pair of the whole bunch. I'd do these last.

Front Height with 6 overheads?
No, six "overheads" total. Call em' heights or overheads. Three pairs of speakers up high. :p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts