AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Bass in a speaker is not that important, but I heard that the 530's bass port would chuff quite a big when you play these too loud. Has this happened to you with the 530's?
You'd have to be pumping them hard to get chuffing. I didn't notice very much of it even at volumes like what you enjoy. I think you'd have to step up a price class to do better. Any small speaker in this price class is going to have some chuffing at high volumes. Since you don't think bass is important to you I don't think it would be worth the extra money.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Bass in a speaker is not that important, but I heard that the 530's bass port would chuff quite a big when you play these too loud. Has this happened to you with the 530's?
No, I can't say that it has even when I was using them in my theater setup.

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
I looked at those once, but didn't give it enough of a thought. Someone was selling these locally last year for pretty cheap, but I passed them up because I couldn't find enough information on them to tell me if I would like them better than what I had.
HTD has raised the price on those, used to be around $350/pr. I suggested them due to their higher sensitivity and impedance versus the B1s. Free return shipping = you have nothing to lose by giving them a spin.

If you want to stick with Emotiva, I'd get a pair of C1s for use as vertical mains---they are 3db more sensitive than the B1s. It puzzles me that Emotiva chooses not to promote these as LCR speakers, since they've told me directly that they can easily be used as such. One big plus of the C1s is that they're sealed cabinet, which means you can put them closer up against a rear wall than a rear-ported speaker running full range.

Reactions: Lp85253 and sigpig

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
as far as the 530's go, you would want a sub. The imaging on the 530's is outstanding. and overall, they are just plain fun for music. But adding a sub even a low cost 100 / polk, etc. add the necessary depth to the sound stage. for near field, I would suggest you consider the Ascend Acoustics CBM -170. also with sub - a little more clarity on the upper end as compared to the 530's. but on the fun scale, I would give the edge to the JBLs.

rock on

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You'd have to be pumping them hard to get chuffing. I didn't notice very much of it even at volumes like what you enjoy. I think you'd have to step up a price class to do better. Any small speaker in this price class is going to have some chuffing at high volumes. Since you don't think bass is important to you I don't think it would be worth the extra money.
Good to know. I heard that these speakers were especially bad with the chuffing compared to other speakers in its class.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No, I can't say that it has even when I was using them in my theater setup.
Thank you. I was afraid the port chuffing was a major issue with these speakers as I have heard this in other reviews.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
HTD has raised the price on those, used to be around $350/pr. I suggested them due to their higher sensitivity and impedance versus the B1s. Free return shipping = you have nothing to lose by giving them a spin.

If you want to stick with Emotiva, I'd get a pair of C1s for use as vertical mains---they are 3db more sensitive than the B1s. It puzzles me that Emotiva chooses not to promote these as LCR speakers, since they've told me directly that they can easily be used as such. One big plus of the C1s is that they're sealed cabinet, which means you can put them closer up against a rear wall than a rear-ported speaker running full range.
I saw the HTD’s went up in price a little. Sad news considering I could have gotten them locally for under $175.

I never would have thought of using something like the C1 for my LR channels. Those a HUGE for a desk though and over twice the price of the B1’s.

I’m actually thinking of holding out as long as I can to see if the Polk LSIM 703’s go on sale again at Adorama for $400. I know it’s probably a long shot, but they are still selling them at regular price so I know they still have stock.

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
I saw the HTD’s went up in price a little. Sad news considering I could have gotten them locally for under $175.

I never would have thought of using something like the C1 for my LR channels. Those a HUGE for a desk though and over twice the price of the B1’s.

I’m actually thinking of holding out as long as I can to see if the Polk LSIM 703’s go on sale again at Adorama for $400. I know it’s probably a long shot, but they are still selling them at regular price so I know they still have stock.
The C1s are double the size of the B1s in height, but on your desktop the physical footprint would be the same. Of course they're twice the price of the B1s, since you're getting not just a second 5.25" woofer but also a midrange driver because it's a 3 way. If you were using the B1s with a receiver that has bass management and can send most of the low frequencies to a subwoofer you'd be fine with them, but with your loud volume habits a speaker of that size and low sensitivity would probably not meet your needs.

The LSiM 703 are great if you can find them at the $400 pricepoint again, though bear in mind with them being rear ported and producing loads of mid-bass you're going to need at least a foot or more of rear clearance to avoid boominess.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The C1s are double the size of the B1s in height, but on your desktop the physical footprint would be the same. Of course they're twice the price of the B1s, since you're getting not just a second 5.25" woofer but also a midrange driver because it's a 3 way. If you were using the B1s with a receiver that has bass management and can send most of the low frequencies to a subwoofer you'd be fine with them, but with your loud volume habits a speaker of that size and low sensitivity would probably not meet your needs.

The LSiM 703 are great if you can find them at the $400 pricepoint again, though bear in mind with them being rear ported and producing loads of mid-bass you're going to need at least a foot or more of rear clearance to avoid boominess.
From what I can see the big JBL sale is over. I am sure there will be another this year but I would like comments regarding the 530 vs the Infinity Reference 162. The 162's are on sale many times at very attractive prices (not now though). They have a larger 6.5 inch woofer which should do better on the low end. Does anyone have these and how to they compare to the JBL 530's?

·
Registered
932 Posts
From what I can see the big JBL sale is over. I am sure there will be another this year but I would like comments regarding the 530 vs the Infinity Reference 162. The 162's are on sale many times at very attractive prices (not now though). They have a larger 6.5 inch woofer which should do better on the low end. Does anyone have these and how to they compare to the JBL 530's?
Reviews and detailed measurements of both can be seen at the links below if you find this helpful.

R162: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/infinity-r162-bookshelf-speaker-review.12333/

Studio 530: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-studio-530-speaker-review.12298/

·
Registered
925 Posts
Looking at the measurements and extrapolating from the larger R162, they both measure good with some differences. They each have a resonance that could be problematic--with the Infinity it is around 700 Hz, and the JBL is around 1.4 kHz. If I had to pick one, I'd rather have it at 700 Hz than the critical 1-4 kHz window, although music can cover some of the sins that test tones reveal.

Down lower, they both use the box to lower extension, by tuning it lower than the Fs of the driver, which is very common in smaller standmounts. The JBL has a mid/upper bass dip that is too high to be covered by the sub in a typical configuration.

It's kinda like a poor man's JBL M2/Revel Salon 2 comparison. It will depend on the room and a preference for wider vs. narrower directivity with the off-axis response dominating at normal listening distances. For nearfield, I bet it'd be pretty close and would depend on the listener preference and kind of music, as the Infinity's treble tilt will sound more detailed and crisp on good recordings, but could sound bright on others.

It'd be a fun comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

For the price of the C1’s, do they sound like they cost twice the price? They would only be worth it to me if they really sounded much better than the B1’s.

I do actually have room to pull my desk out a few feet if needed and I already have been meaning to do that for my current R152’s, I’ve just been too lazy to do so because it means I need to rewire things a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I figured I wouldn’t make it for this sale as it always takes me too long to decide on a big purchase like this. I’m not worried though because as you said, they will most likely be on sale again. The thought just always pops in my mind when a sale like this happens whether or not I have the best bang for the buck speakers and if I can do better. I’ve just heard so many good things about the 530’s it makes me wonder if they are that much better than what I already have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
For nearfield, I bet it'd be pretty close and would depend on the listener preference and kind of music, as the Infinity's treble tilt will sound more detailed and crisp on good recordings, but could sound bright on others.

It'd be a fun comparison.
It’s funny, I’ve heard a few times that the Infinities can be bright, but I have not encountered any brightness at all and I am pretty sensitive to elevated treble. They sound great, especially in nearfield, but my ears never get any fatigue from listening to these.

I honestly love the R152’s and really have no reason to upgrade, but of course I always get that itch, if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
For the price of the C1’s, do they sound like they cost twice the price? They would only be worth it to me if they really sounded much better than the B1’s.

I do actually have room to pull my desk out a few feet if needed and I already have been meaning to do that for my current R152’s, I’ve just been too lazy to do so because it means I need to rewire things a little.
Dual woofers = much bigger soundstage & more headroom; the downside in this case is that the C1 is a sealed not ported design so the headroom improvement won't be as dramatic as something like a pair of Chane A2.4 but those will run you close to $600/pr shipped.

You're in luck: the Infinitys are on sale again, with free return shipping.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14111597-infinity-reference-speaker-sale-r263-towers-for-199ea-fs

You can get a pair of the R263 towers for $400/pr if you have space behind or around your desk.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I figured I wouldn’t make it for this sale as it always takes me too long to decide on a big purchase like this. I’m not worried though because as you said, they will most likely be on sale again. The thought just always pops in my mind when a sale like this happens whether or not I have the best bang for the buck speakers and if I can do better. I’ve just heard so many good things about the 530’s it makes me wonder if they are that much better than what I already have.
I think I have decided to pass on the 530's and go with the Infinity R162 when they go on sale again. Recently the Infinity website had them on sale for only $160 for the pair ($450 now). All these Harman Kardon brands have sales, especially Good Friday.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It’s funny, I’ve heard a few times that the Infinities can be bright, but I have not encountered any brightness at all and I am pretty sensitive to elevated treble. They sound great, especially in nearfield, but my ears never get any fatigue from listening to these.
I am evaluating the R162's until the Chane L3's are available, and I agree that they are not annoying or fatiguing to my tastes. They can sound downright glorious with well recorded acoustic instruments(horns and cymbals especially).

If you like that presentation, I think the JBL's will sound less exciting--not worse, just different.

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
They can sound downright glorious with well recorded acoustic instruments(horns and cymbals especially).
How forgiving are they of poor musical sources? Sibilance?

·
Registered
925 Posts
About as you'd expect from a more revealing speaker, Zorba. I haven't noticed any sibilance. I've been using them as fronts for about a week and they're impressive for under ~$200 a pair, if you like that kind of presentation. In another thread I likened them to the Kef Q100 with more power handling and a better tweeter(no hard edge like the Kef's could have).

I've been using the RC263 center for awhile now, so I actually have a timbre matched front soundstage for the first time in a long time. I hope I'm not off the team. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Dual woofers = much bigger soundstage & more headroom; the downside in this case is that the C1 is a sealed not ported design so the headroom improvement won't be as dramatic as something like a pair of Chane A2.4 but those will run you close to $600/pr shipped.

You're in luck: the Infinitys are on sale again, with free return shipping.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14111597-infinity-reference-speaker-sale-r263-towers-for-199ea-fs

You can get a pair of the R263 towers for $400/pr if you have space behind or around your desk.
I just saw that sale again. Trying to figure out how I can convince my wife it’s a good purchase so I can upgrade my living room monoprice HTIB speakers.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts