AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mainly using my system to watch Japanese TV-series, play retro Super Nintendo games and FPS games such as Quake.

Considering I hardly use my system for anything except the odd movie which would supports surround sound, I plan to get get two JBL Studio 590 tower speakers and an A/V receiver to hook up to my HTPC.

The JBL Studio 590 speakers have a Frequency Response of 35Hz - 40kHz (-6dB).

Would I benefit at all to add a JBL Studio 550P Subwoofer with a Frequency Response of 27Hz-150Hz? Or would it simply be a waste of money?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
A sub could help to take some of the stress of your mains and your receiver having to reproduce the very low bass frequencies.

With a sub, you can try different locations to see which produce the best bass, whereas with speakers, one is stuck positioning speakers for best performance for other things.

Assuming JBL is accurate about the frequency response differences, you would get some benefit in lower extension for movies and some games.

If you get a sub, you might not get much more benefit out of the JBL 590s over the JBL 530 bookshelves since the sub could handle the lower bass frequencies. So you could put some of your budget toward surrounds or a center channel. Building a full 5.1 surround setup could be nice for FPS because you could get positional audio benefits, as well as making the audio gaming experience more immersive.

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
A subwoofer would be a benefit

The choice is up to you - you can always start with the towers and see how you do feel.

Depends on how much bass you really want/desire.

On a side note - the 530 bookshelf has good bass response, and does play below 50 hz

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were to make a surround system I do not think I would wish to add a center speaker. I noticed that in a surround system almost all sound comes from the center speaker and the left, right and back speakers only have some sporadic sound effects. I feel that it would be a real waste on the two big nice full range towers. Small satellite speakers and a relatively bigger center is much more fitting for that kind of meager sound.

Could I simply add two JBL Studio 530 bookshelf speakers at the back and make it a 4.1?

That way I could get some nice surround sound in FPS games such as Quake...

·
Registered
19,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmetroid  /t/1520096/jbl-studio-590-with-or-without-subwoofer#post_24417704

Could I simply add two JBL Studio 530 bookshelf speakers at the back and make it a 4.1?

Yes

You can go phantom center

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmetroid  /t/1520096/jbl-studio-590-with-or-without-subwoofer#post_24417704

If I were to make a surround system I do not think I would wish to add a center speaker. I noticed that in a surround system almost all sound comes from the center speaker and the left, right and back speakers only have some sporadic sound effects. I feel that it would be a real waste on the two big nice full range towers.

It probably depends a lot on how someone has the audio system set up in terms of placement. Granted, dialogue is set to come from the center channel, and much sound is anchored to that because of where it is on the screen. But a good front soundstage should have good left to right (and reverse) panning motion of audio where it is appropriate to the film.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts

Quote:

If I were to make a surround system I do not think I would wish to add a center speaker. I noticed that in a surround system almost all sound comes from the center speaker and the left, right and back speakers only have some sporadic sound effects. I feel that it would be a real waste on the two big nice full range towers. Small satellite speakers and a relatively bigger center is much more fitting for that kind of meager sound.

Movies have a LOT of output from the mains, not just the center. Many of the affects on screen are spread across all three fronts, not just the center. With most modern movies the L and R speakers get plenty of use even with a center.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I said I am not using my system for a lot of movies except for the odd one or two per year that I do watch.

FPS games would be the most commonly used application that have surround sound support. Everything else is pretty much stereo.

·
Registered
19,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmetroid  /t/1520096/jbl-studio-590-with-or-without-subwoofer#post_24424410

As I said I am not using my system for a lot of movies except for the odd one or two per year that I do watch.

FPS games would be the most commonly used application that have surround sound support. Everything else is pretty much stereo.

You can experiment with-out the center - just make sure that you toe-in the front speakers.

The speakers do project a good central image - in speaker set-up, just put no for the center.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmetroid  /t/1520096/jbl-studio-590-with-or-without-subwoofer#post_24424410

Well implemented FPS would be just like a movie: the center channel would improve the experience. The center channel might also help with improved dialogue clarity when watching TV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts